Ave Maria University Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

Nicholas J. Healy Jr.
1 Rating

Opportunities in growing university community

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Ave Maria, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Ave Maria, FL

I worked at Ave Maria University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Understanding supervisor, great community life.

Cons

Very bad location and the town culture is a bit bland

Severe Management Issues

I worked at Ave Maria University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The campus is nice and the students are mostly nice.

Cons

Completely mismanaged and the administration was a joke. Several times people from other departments asked me what I was doing or even did in my job when I was extremely busy. Administration always seemed to be out of their offices and chatting with other departments. In addition, my direct manager was a poor choice and was absolutely a terror. The priests also like to throw their weight around to get what they want.

Compensation was under the average, but not a surprise for the school so I would say to give some sort of benefit to outweigh that. I found the actual work environment toxic and nothing was done to stop management in various departments from acting poorly in front of students. Most of the problem is that people that are not ready to be managers are put in the position. Maybe hire people with more experience in positions.

Athletic Dept is very motivated to succeed.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Ave Maria, FL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Ave Maria, FL

I have been working at Ave Maria University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful location and new University. The students have good academic work ethic, and its for the serious minded.

Cons

Going to take time to achieve all their goals. They are still in the process to add more majors so some studies are limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ee

I worked at Ave Maria University

Pros

Successful interns are typically offered full time graduate roles

Cons

The deadline is typically early January.

Great students, sometimes tension between departments

I have been working at Ave Maria University

Pros

Caring, hardworking students who are interested in learning from you
    Flexible schedule
    Occasional opportunity to travel (as chaperone to students)
    Small campus
    Taken for granted that faith is an important part of your working life
    Good communication within departments

Cons

Little opportunity to advance
    Salary much less than at other Universities
    Cost of living in the area is high
    There is often some tension between departments
    Lack of communication between departments
    Infrequent positive feedback from upper-level management
    Overtime often required but not compensated

Make more of an effort to inculcate a sense of pride and work well done among employees---staff are just as important as faculty. Encourage interdepartmental communication and a shared vision.

Thanks to incompetent senior management, one of the strangest work experiences one can have.

I have been working at Ave Maria University

Pros

Aside from a paycheck, I find no other reason to work at the Nicaraguan site. The pay is reasonable, and it's a job. Here in a land of massive unemployment and political instability, that may be a plus--unless you take pride in your work and understand the role and responsibilities of what it means to be part of a university.

The once admirable Language Institute is now but a shadow of its former self. Gone are effective leadership, most competent instructors, and a spirit of academic achievement. It was replaced by an English-language program director who speaks English poorly, a disheartened faculty, and students who are almost encouraged to do minimal work. The spirit of academic investigation, creativity, and innovation are but memories.

Cons

Senior management at the campus in San Marcos seems to be without a clue on most matters of importance. Decisions are arbitrary, power cliques rule the roost and decisions are arbitrary and capricious.

The quality of the education needs massive and immediate improvement. A university should be neither an expensive high school nor an experiment in inept leadership, cronyism, and low retention rates.

Revise the curriculum and join the 21st Century. Hire competent instructors who speak English in a US university offering its complete curriculum in the language.

End the cronyism and political infighting that characterizes the Nicaraguan campus.

Worked for Ave Maria University? Contribute to the Community!