AvePoint

AvePoint Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

AvePoint Co-CEO Dr Tianyi (TJ) Jiang

Dr Tianyi (TJ) Jiang

Pros:
  • "There's a ping pong room with two tables to blow off some steam or just to hang out"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Met some great people who are close friends now"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is likely why most staff in general are fresh college grads, so that they can be underpaid or work long hours"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Why no one was looking at this is beyond me"
    in 4 reviews

ConsPoor morale, Churn and Burn type sales philosophy

A lesson learned

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at AvePoint full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany others have stated that colleagues are the best part of this job, and they'd be correct. If you toe the party line, you'll get a promotion you likely don't deserve to a position you could never hold elsewhere. There are also numerous opportunities to giggle at the 'Anglo' names the employees in China have chosen.

ConsRunning your business from China doesn't mean you're supporting the local economy, it's a bottleneck.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are hopeless. Your communication after closing 2 offices was atrocious.

Daily grind with no sign of improvement

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at AvePoint full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people alongside you are fun, outgoing folks.

ConsI could go on for days. Senior Management at this company is a joke. They will find a different way year after year to systematically change the Sales Compensation Plan to make sure the sales people can't make too much money and the business desk can continue to line its pockets.

Being intelligent has no redeeming quality here, you're expecting to be a monkey on the phone and that's about it. The only reason this company is on the Fast 500 is because their turnover rate probably puts them in the Fast 50 exodus.

Support is a logistical nightmare with customers sometimes, and the costs are way inflated compared to what they need to be. If you're a company evaluating AvePoint software, I would highly recommend seeing what the "24/7" support is like before purchasing.

A good chunk of internal processes are run out of China, which isn't a huge issue but can cause some disruption if something pressing is occurring.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running this place like an overseas workshop and people might find your company more respectable and your sales would bolster. The level of dissatisfaction amongst your employees is extremely common, ignoring it and ousting those that are willing to speak up about it makes this place seem comparable to fascist nation.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst work experience I have ever had in my entire life!

Jersey City, NJ

I worked at AvePoint full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful views of Manhattan, the only good part of this place.

ConsThe company culture here is just awful. People are in Management/Director/VP roles that they would not have at any other legitimate company. People get promoted by default. There are 2 CEOs running this train wreck. It is cut throat.

Don't try to add value or make significant strides, this raises flags and causes one of the CEOs utter paranoia. All of the upper management is inept and paranoid. You can get fired just on a whim. Don't even think about working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne day all of your dirty dealings will come back to haunt you, possibly in an audit!

Not Much Else To Say From Former SMB Sales Rep

SMB Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at AvePoint full-time for more than a year

Pros-Ping Pong Room (as long as you dont spend too much time in there)

-Free soda and Coffee (no free snacks, those are in a vending machine)

-Occasional Happy Hour(s)

-Probably the biggest "Pro" is the people you will be working around. Aside from "management", some folks that are in the trenches with you can become good friends for the most part.

ConsI really don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said in previous truthful reviews. Be wary of this place...

-Nepotism runs rampant here

-AvePoint likes to think its s*** doesn't stink and that they are the best in the undustry when in reality it's a "nice to have" not a "need to have" and can be expensive for most customers, not to mention tends not to work as well as they say 8/10 times

-Training for sales folks isn't all that great (or at least it wasn't when I got hired)

-They know most of the people they churn through left and right are college grads yet they train to be ready to sell SharePoint and Compliance software after a 5 day crash course in a dimly lit room as they slam powerpoint slide after powerpoint slide down your throat for hours on end.

-Lots of poor management due to promotions to empty "Lead/Director/Senior" titles in order to keep folks around.

-Pay is pretty terrible

-Quotas are too high most times and you can be sure your job is in severe jeopardy if you miss a quarter

-If you dont fit in it's going to be a bumpy ride (Saw a 400K/year salesperson get canned after one bad quarter because he didnt gel with management)

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly...most middle management needs to be let go in favor of folks that don't have the AvePoint politics stamped into them. Pay your employees more, build a better culture, realize you aren't the best in town and train people to take not only customers but also your competitors more seriously.

Overall, positive.

I have been working at AvePoint full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, relaxed culture, decent opportunities for growth.

ConsBelow market pay, management is out of touch with employees, technical staff is overworked, and retention of top talent is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvesting in employee happiness will result in greater returns than management summits or office exchange programs. Increased transparency will help to restore employees' faith in the company's future.

Here's some honesty for ya!

Tech Team Member (Former Employee)

I worked at AvePoint full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking at AvePoint, you're going to make some great friends if you fit the culture. Most SMB and Tech Analysts will be right out of college and excited to start their first career. They're going to love the quick promotions after 5-6 months, but then learn soon after that all of that is going to slow down to a snail's pace and they may be stuck in their position for quite some time.

The products are mediocre at best, but they are interesting and creative. The typical joke around the office is, "Well, DocAve SHOULD work" amongst the tech teams since many things will break without reason (enjoy sifting through those logs!). Regardless, the products are continually improving, the UI's always look really slick and modern, and they're heading into the compliance space which is getting more and more popular.

The culture is laid back and the people you work with are going to be the reason why you come into work everyday. There's a ping pong room with two tables to blow off some steam or just to hang out. There are usually trips out to the bar for happy hour a few times each month as well.

For the employee's who hang around a little more than 8+ months, you'll most likely have the opportunity to travel to one of the other AvePoint offices. Whether it be one of the China offices, UK, Germany, or Singapore, you will probably have the opportunity to travel anywhere between a week and 3 months (or even a year...). So if that's appealing to you, work your butt off and you'll be given that opportunity.

All in all, AvePoint is a good starter company to jump on board with to put something on your resume for something much better down the road. You're going to learn a decent amount about the Microsoft Technology Stack (SharePoint, Win Server, SQL, etc.) which will put you on a good path for the future since the knowledge you will gain is definitely reusable.

ConsThe leadership at AvePoint is very subpar and quite frankly doesn't make a lot of sense. Some AvePoint employees are given the opportunity to lead a team, or multiple teams, which they are incapable of leading either due to inexperience or incompetency. Most of the leadership in the SMB Sales organization are between 25-28 years old which a lot of people cannot wrap their head around. The Sales organization is basically a revolving door which obviously annoys the customers (a quick Google search will reveal AvePoint customer's are not happy with the revolving door of sales reps on their accounts - this is blamed on 'growing pains'; definitely not the case).

If you're on ANY of the tech teams, plan on having consistent 50-60 hour work weeks (Overtime? Good luck...). Depending on what team you're on, your day is going to consist of either opening and closing cases, demoing the same products over and over and over, or signing on at night to chat with the China team if they didn't understand your email.

Let's talk about compensation... or maybe we shouldn't. Eh, we will. It's terrible, plain and simple. Low level guys are paid peanuts. Nothing like making a cool $35k working 60 hour work weeks (That's ~$11/hour if you were wondering). It gets a little better as you move up the chain, but not by much. Compensation is not AvePoint's #1 priority and if you go in asking for more, good luck.

Last but not least, the quality of talent at the lower levels of the company makes work days long and difficult. The tech teams will get extremely frustrated when they have to explain simple technical concepts multiple ways in order for some other employees to understand it. The issue is that some of the talent coming on board do not have any kind of technical or sales degrees. The blame here is on the hiring managers or the 23-24 year olds who are running the interviews.

One can only hope reviews like these help my friends that are still employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the worthy, experienced employees from within (4-5 years with AvePoint, not 6 months) and begin to hire from the outside for the higher positions. Compensation IS on everyone's mind even though you may think it does not matter. Perform some actual market analysis in the NYC area and you'll quickly see that you are very lucky to still have the employees who have been around for multiple years at the rate they are being paid.

Terrible.

Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at AvePoint full-time

ProsCliche - "good stepping stone for your career". Pft.

ConsToo many.

Terrible work/life
WORST management - immature
Too political

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys suck.

Nice stepping stone, get in and get out

I worked at AvePoint

ProsYoung atmosphere, nice office location

ConsToo many secret agendas and unprofessional behavior

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with real experience

Great stepping stone

I have been working at AvePoint full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're looking for a good stepping stone and exposure to the corporate world, AvePoint is a great resource. In terms of a team environment, you get to work with a lot of great people. Those who work hard, proactive, and have developed strong work relationships with management are usually the ones who get promoted. Benefits are good too-- medical is good, dental and vision are covered at 100% for employees.

ConsThe downfall at AvePoint is sometimes they promote by default. This concept of 'promoting within' has led a lot of people into positions they are not capable of. If there is no one "great" to promote into a management position, they will promote someone because they essentially have no other choice.

Worked for AvePoint? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AvePoint reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AvePoint CEO Dr Tianyi (TJ) Jiang. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by AvePoint employees.