Avectra Reviews

2.3

Richard Davis

The Golden Days of Years past

I worked at Avectra full-time

Pros

The people there were great, some of the best co-workers I've ever worked with. The salary was competitive. I loved the flexible hours they offered. On some occasions you can telecommute. The office space was nice and located in the heart of a major metropolitan city.

Cons

The management and direction of the company didn't put employees interests into consideration.

My advice to management is to hire more employees to meet the demand of the customers.

Great work environment, okay pay, stale product

Former Employee - Developer II  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Developer II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Avectra full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work place was reasonably lax, good benefits, generally a healthy work place. Generally a great place to work. Dedicated Research and Development time during working hours.

Cons

The biggest cons are wages are not very competitive for the Orlando area, but the benefits help narrow that gap. The second problem is legacy code is considered sacred by some of the leadership. This code is almost a decade old now and is struggling to handle modern expectations, however; attempts to introduce newer technology and concepts is met with near hostility.

Introduce more competitive wages, you need to get netForum up to speed with modern technology and design concepts. Ever year your primary product looks more and more dated, while your more agile competition blows past you. It's only a matter of time for your competitors begin to chip away at your customer base if you don't step it up. (I realize this is a HUGE challenge, but it must be done to stay relevant)

Terrible, awful, and horrible at employee retention

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Avectra full-time for more than a year

Pros

My team mates were awesome

Cons

Management - mostly middle management - is so terrible that all those really great team mates that were hired with you will almost certainly be gone before 6 months is up. I have never been so mistreated by a company since leaving hourly fast food restaurant jobs behind as a teenager. Avectra doesn't care even one shred of one ounce for their employees' lives, concerns, or happiness. They don't want to hear ideas, don't want to hear constructive input, don't want their employees to show any initiative whatsoever. Keep your head down and your mouth shut and you'll survive at Avectra. Otherwise, you'll be out the door one way or another in short order. Avectra is a bridge job between being laid off and finding a job with a company who cares about employees, nothing more. If you go into it expecting more, you will certainly be disappointed.

You should be aware that your employee turnover rates are not because you can't find any good candidates as your middle managers keep telling you. It's because they have absolutely no clue how to fairly and professionally treat the candidates they hire that you have such high turnover at Avectra. Hire some middle management that actually cares about employees and has experience in dealing well with people instead of the too-young, rude and just plain clueless middle management you have now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heart breaking!

I worked at Avectra for more than 3 years

Pros

The products and their capabilities (if used properly) are fantastic! The employees below management level were truly super-wonderful individuals! I could go on and on about how much opportunity I saw in a good product with a freely-sharing knowledgable staff to meet continuously increasing customer demands. Let me be clear, I loved working for this company.

Cons

The silos and the politics! I understand and have appreciation for both, however management (and their higher-ups), constantly kept each other in the dark. The hypocrisy is practically head-spinning and is a complete and total devastation of morale for employees.

It doesn't matter what I say, it only matters what they'll hear... and these folks aren,t that good when it comes to listening to either their customers or their employees.

Would not consider returning in any capacity

I worked at Avectra full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Colleagues were very professional. Product was mature and highly regarded by user community.

Cons

Pack mentality between departments interfered with overall success of organization.

Nurture customers and staff. The industry that you support will be unforgiving unless you treat them with both care and respect.

Association for Everything

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Avectra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, good team work, great resources, great divided territories, great conceptual product. telecommute option, work directly with customers

Cons

Working with associations, long sales cycle, not a lot of lead generation, product is under developed, customer service, turnover, pricing model

Unless you're upper management, this company doesn't care what you think.

Current Employee - Developer II  in  Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Developer II in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Avectra full-time for more than a year

Pros

Until very recently, we had decent health benefits.

Cons

Management seems to actively ignore lower-level employees. Developers are expected to simply fix minor bugs or add small new features exactly as the upper management has described. Upper management can't seem to let go and allow thought on the part people in development roles.

Product has major architecture flaws. When these flaws are pointed out, employees are reprimanded.

Work is demeaning.... bordering on insulting.

If you're just out of high school and you want a coding job, this place is for you!

Fire yourselves.... what few of you are still there.

Merger destroyed a great company

I worked at Avectra full-time

Pros

Since the merger? None. We used to have a number of talented individuals; unfortunately, all have either left or are in the process of leaving.

Cons

New management is either inept or very inexperienced, and they have little to no interest in further development of the primary product.

Most new employees/replacements will be outsourced to a Bolivian firm which Abila has very strong ties to.

Try being more professional and less delusional about the perceived happiness of your staff. Work harder to build trust and a working relationship instead of keeping everyone in the dark.

Run Run Run

I worked at Avectra full-time

Pros

there are no pros, people are leaving

Cons

company was merged with abila couple of months back, new management is clueless!!!

Awful environment of sneaks, territorial management

I worked at Avectra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Niche product offering, mature product line, and not much else

Cons

Pretty much everything. Bad management, poor training, shady business practices, and too much drama. Concerns about your job are not taken seriously and any squeaky wheels won't get grease as much as they'll get the axe. Advice is to stay away from this company as you won't go anywhere. Great company if you want to wallflower, learn nothing, and tread water for years upon end.

Learn to be managers, mentors, and quit being territorial. Many are out for a gold star and acting politically instead of the best interest for the company. Overall alignment is very out of sync causing poor development and confusing cultures.

Worked for Avectra? Contribute to the Community!