Aveda

www.aveda.com

Aveda Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Aveda – Corte Madera – “Entrance to an Aveda store in Corte Madera, CA”

Dominique Conseil

Pros
  • The mission; great products; good people(in 7 reviews)

• Amazing work-life balance, amazing product, amazing mission(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Grueling business goals take precedence over "work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• There are bullies who work there and upper management doesn't want to hear anything about it(in 4 reviews)

Aveda not only has a great mission, but lives up to it

SDP (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat training and support tools. Supportive management and corporation, great opportunity for advancement.

ConsNot really any cons with this company

Some good, more bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule (most of the time), Lots of training, open-minded company.

ConsReally high goals, not very much room for advancement. Managers definitely get special treatment when the rest of the employees put in equal (if not more) amounts of work. Compensation should be higher and staff reviews of managers should be taken more seriously. Also, if HR is called about a problem they should probably do more than a slap on the wrist, especially if it's not the first offense.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat every employee equally and do your share.

My Review

ProsCompany MIssion
    Discount
    Small group you become close with

ConsHard to Advance
    Old POS system

Advice to Senior Management-

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

25k education at their school... starting wages minimum wage... not what they promised.

Hairstylist (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDiscounts while meager are the only worthy reason to be involved with this company.

ConsLies lies lies lies lies

No Career Development

Team Leader (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee Discount and company gratis

ConsWorked at an Experience Center in a leadership role for a year. I was promised career development and never got it. It was only a matter of time until I realized that I was not a leader at one of the District Manager's favorite stores and no development would be directed to any other store. I repeatedly asked for assistance in training as I had not received all the training I was supposed to receive as a leader. I was told that I should be proficient in a certain portion of my job even though I had not received all the required training, had only had two visits from the education manager (and my DM claimed I had a visit every month) The district I worked in was disorganized and I could never get an answer to any questions, but was disciplined for not knowing the answers. I was promised the moon and stars when I was hired and none of it happened. My family was kicked off the health insurance plan because I mysteriously did not show proof that My children are my children or that my husband and I are married. (I did show proof) My youngest child is now dealing with a life threatening issue that I have to pay out of pocket for. They will lull you into a false sense of security by telling you how different they are from the rest of corporate America. They are the same as the rest. Only concerned for bottom line and will sacrifice whomever they can to save their own rear ends. Work Life balance is HORRIBLE!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long hard look at turnover. Look at the DM's who have the worst turnover and start to question WHY that is. Having DM's who are not being held accountable for their poor job performance and are letting others take the fall for it does not live up tot he Aveda mission. Actually live up to your mission statement.

Aveda

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hourly pay compaired to similar jobs in the mall. Great employee discount. Discounts on services at the aveda institute.

ConsNo room for creativity. Everything you say all day long is very scripted. Gets boring fast.

Great company and culture, a little too spiritual

Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsI work retail at Aveda as a sales advisor. There are plenty of opportunities to move up if you express such an interest. The product itself is great and you get a great discount. Sometimes work/life balance is a little ridiculous, because each store has very few employees and so if someone takes a week of or goes on maternity leave all hell seems to break loose.

ConsI am a Christian and some of their practices are a little too close to occult for comfort. Like Chakra balancing and doshas and Ayurveda and energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if part-timers got some accrued PTO.

Assistant Team Leader Review

Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros* Discount is BEST in cosmetics industry.
    * Amazing mission and AVEDA works hard at aligning everything to it's core beliefs.
    * Pay is slightly above average for retail.
    * Experience Centers management makes store schedules, so it allows some flexibility.
    * The customer base is SUPER loyal so you can pretty much sell them anything.
    * Since they are owned by Estée Lauder, you can easily move between other brands like Clinique, MAC, Origins, etc.

Cons* Each experience center is 'secret shopped' twice a month. So you have to go through this ridiculous service cycle with every guest.
    * You have to constantly offer rituals to every guest. Meaning you have to touch every person that walks through your door.
    * Doesn't seem to be much growth outside of the store level. Very hard to get on district team because there are only approx 5-6 districts for the country. That's about 5-6 DM's and maybe 3-4 Edu Managers. And they have been with company on average of 10 years. So leaves very little jobs after Store Team Leader. And hard to get Team Leader positions. Most TL's in my area have been with company for 7 Years or more. They are never leaving!
    * Hiring process can be lengthy.
    * No commission on sales. There is a bonus but it's only when your store makes it's goal and it's approx 1% of your personal sales for the month.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more growth opportunities. Makes it hard to keep top talent when they feel stagnant. A more lucrative commission structure would be nice.

It was great for me.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnvironment care and great customers.

ConsSome managers are not leaders.

Good people that I worked with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits kinda of spendy though

ConsOffice politics are never ending and not fun

Worked for Aveda? Contribute to the Community!