Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros:
  • "good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment with a good work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

In the beginning, I grew exponentially by later plateaued

Six Sigma Master Black Belt (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people and they had decent performance reviews and planning

ConsLimited opportunities for growth and career path not readily defined

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage your people to better identify business improvement opportunities and to empower them to act upon them

Try to keep up with the times

Analyst (Current Employee)
Brea, CA

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThings move very quickly, Some of the new products are fairly exciting, Good pay and benefits. The people who are not in management are very friendly and very helpful when you need to know how to do things.

ConsCompany is not keeping up with the times, management is stuck in a rut. Management tries to utilize Lean and Six Sigma practices, but it's all very superficial, no one seems to want to actually find the causes of problems, just give the perception of trying to find them.

None of the internal databases talk to each other, and there is no clear definition of how to do things. Some projects have gotten to implementation only to find out that approval is needed from 3 -4 other business units.

The company has just been sold and morale is extremely low. Good employees are fleeing.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of the perception of efficiency and problem solving - you should actually problem solve.
Invest in an all inclusive database and create clear documentation of your processes which include ALL parties involved
Know what your people do, and how to best utilize them.

Avery Dennison

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time

ProsStrong focus on financial results.

ConsLacks organizational commitment to innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild long-term success via long-term commitment to brand innovation.

Think twice about your future at Avery Dennison, Quakertown, PA..

Quakertown, PA

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOp3 machine operators have it easy. Half is of what they do is working and the other half is just standing around, and or just talking..
Coater operator team is even easier. One quarter is working and the other 75% is talking and standing around.
Hours of paid wages per week are somewhere between 60 to 70.

ConsIf your wife works a normal week, you will only get 1 weekend together, every 7 weeks, if you work on the coater.. Your work schedule changes weekly. Monday/Saturday off the first week...........Tuesday/Saturday off the second week, etc. They want to eliminate any overtime, so they stick it to you to set aside a 6 day work week, and only pay you for 5..

Anyone starting at this facility will be starting at the upender. It is a fast paced job, because the 2 slitters associated with it are running at full tilt. Besides upending and wrapping the skids, you have to jump on a forklift, look at the 8 or so sheets to see where they go, and waste time putting in locations or trucks. Demanding, frustrating, and most times impossible. Get your own skids, and no relief person when you take a break.

Last years raises ranged from 5 cents to 50 cents.
The only other easy job is the rewinder operator.

All machines are rated, and if you have areas in your chart that are red, they call you in for an explanation.
This facility is a military compound, with all supervisors being ex military people.

They can't find maintenance people that want to stay. I have seen maintenance people work 21 day straight, without any days off. I have also seen 2 of them get divorces.

Benefits were changed to eliminate retirement benefits.

Everyone snitches on each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have made a statement the you want to have an increase of $500,000,000 in this years production.
Personally, if I am still working there, I would love to see your stock drop down to about $10 a share. If the CEO took a bonus payment of 4.5 million dollars, even though he admitted that he did a lousy job..........then I am within my rights to expect this satisfaction.

Fortune 500 company with appropriate pay and benefit package

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time

ProsGlobal organization with world class talent, progressive learning environment with strong benefit package, opportunity to advance, diverse talent and willingness to develop strengths

ConsLarge company with a level of bureaucracy common in Fortune 500 companies. Turnover rate is relatively high especially in mid to upper management levels with typical political alliances.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shedding talented managers with diverse ideas. Focus on those who deliver results versus those who talk about the next big plan for recovering.

Sr. Supply Chain Manager

Senior Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSenior Leadership takes care to develop and deploy well thought out improvement strategies. Solid efforts are made to develop key personnel.

ConsDeteriorating business has resulted in high turnover.

Challenging and rewarding

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome people here; very easy to work with, good team work, low stress

ConsIt's a large corporation. You see where all your works goes and why it matters, but at the same time it seems that the company does not know where it is going, or you don't know where you are moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal Reviews of status of projects, better idea where team members fit in.

Your experience will depend on which division you work in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison

ProsLabels and Packaging Division - best one to work in. Decent benefits.

ConsRBIS - Worst division to work in. It's a circus.

Seemingly decent organization but with poor upper management overview.

Shipper (Former Employee)
Greenfield, IN

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and bonus program.

ConsUpper management does not have a grasp of what is happening on the day to day levels of the organization. Low levels of severance when employees are rif'ed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sound business and cost based decisions, even if they are difficult. Doing what is easiest for management on a daily basis is not the way to conduct business.

Excellent Training

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery good training ground. Thisis a good job as your first one out of biz school. Very focused on cross functional teams. Will help you become a general manager or entrepreneur at some point in your career.

ConsAfter about 5 years it tends to be "up or out" and for 90% it means out. It gets snarky and political as the pyramid gets very narrow very quickly. Pay is lower than 1st tier marketing firms like Pepsi.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avery Dennison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avery Dennison CEO Dean A. Scarborough. All 188 reviews posted anonymously by Avery Dennison employees.