Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough
Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ (in 15 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't reward service to the company

Former Employee - Senior Team LEader  in  Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Team LEader in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunity to design a new coating line, the people you work with.

Cons

After 27 years service had to leave due to family circumstances, then they announce redundancy packages 2 months after. And they said nothing. Gave my all not impressed

You should reward loyal and hard working employees

A distasteful experience so far

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

Cons

Management is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Just because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Worked for a business which was taken over by Avery Dennison

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harlow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I'm honestly really struggling to think of any.... some good people there, particularly in Engineering.

Cons

I worked for a business which was part of a global takeover by AD, so can only really reflect on the fact that the AD takeover did nothing to change the mess the previous business was in. Maybe that's not fair on AD as they took on a complete mess.

High pressure sales environment, incompetent management, pointlessly bureaucratic, uncompetitive pricing, production was slow and often messed orders up, inadequate sub-par products to sell.... unrealistic expectations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Avery Dennison (Paxar Indonesia) employee comment

Former Employee - Finance  in  Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Finance in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can learn a lot of good work environment. Company support employees with completed tools

Cons

Very easy to fired an employee even for small fail. Pity for the employees of the acquired company. Avery Dennison tend to fail to pay severance. Even have the tendency to create an uncomfortable and force the employee to resign

Please watch your subordinaries every where in the world. A lot of employees turn over has made large losses. You have respect to loyality, not just professionalism

production specialist

I worked at Avery Dennison

Pros

I believe I do not know any pros.

Cons

brown nosers to the bosses will only get ahead

Not good for career growth only for people looking for a stable , so get out as fast as you can if you want to grow

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is stable , good benefits in terms of healthcare and compensation for a starting role.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have worked for. Management is pathetic- they have no clue what their subordinates are doing though they are paid more than 10 times of a fresh graduate employee.Employee evaluation is not based on job performance or workload but purely on impression, people who do no work get promoted and the others work their ass off for years with no reward or recognition or career growth. There is no focus on team work or projects because everyone is interested in impressing the boss by putting the blame on someone else rather than resolving the real issues or understanding the problems. Meetings are merely debate contests with no action items so it is all talk and no action.
    Too much buraeucracy and different levels for escalations especially with the IT, it takes way too much time to get things done so it is very frustrating.

Please get out of your office and interact more with employees from all levels in your organization to know what are the real issues affecting the company. Fancy powerpoint slides and closed loop discussions are completely useless if you have no clue what your subordinates are doing. Please ensure to take your team members's feedback before making crucial decisions affecting them.

Stuck in the '80s

Former Employee - Inside Account Representative  in  Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Account Representative in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance...most employees are nice.

Cons

Management is stuck in the '80s and are able to grasp that the ways of selling have changed. They need to embrace technology and change and communicate with people the way they want to be communicated with.

Change is good embrace it!

Deteriorating business.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Brea, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great. Hard working individuals who are dedicated to their craft. Open work environment.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management. Company reorgs every 6 months, which is incredibly stressful. High turnover, very low morale and no budget. Contractors will remain contractors for years.

An unstable company

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time

Pros

They invest in technology and are willing to try new things

Cons

They make some awful decisions by committee, leading to disastrous results - ultimately impacting the lives of their employees.

Stop using Executive recruiters (headhunters) to find talent and hire HR folks that actually do their job - recruiting talent. The HR group appeared to be a tough, experienced group on the surface, BUT they were just incompetent and trying to cover themselves. You should start over - clean that house and start over.

Not so great

Former Employee - IT Director  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - IT Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of major challenges working in a global corporation and experience that you won't find in most corporations. The facility has a great location.

Cons

Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management. The little folks just get used and then thrown away. There isn't any really commitment to employees, regardless of their contributions or sacrifices.

Realize the value of those employees that combine experience with a commitment to the corporation. Don't throw them overboard to achieve a short term financial goal.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!