Aviall

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

2.7

Ed Dolanski

So much to say, but does it really matter?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

-Good at the core business (selling airplane parts) and has a strong distribution network (40 locations worldwide)
    -The issues with the SAP implementation will eventually be worked out. While it's taken us a while to get back up to snuff, Aviall's culture doesn't allow for failure, so we'll make it through.
    -Potential opportunities for growth in the business
    Aviall is on a growth kick and will be successful. If you can wait it out, there will be a lot of positive growth in the business within the next few years. However, how that translates in to a "people plan"....

Cons

-Personal development is non-existent/lack of employee development planning.
    It's not easy to find and be considered for new opportunities, particularly if you're looking to go outside of your current functional area or transfer to Dallas from a branch (or vice-versa).

-**Management is so focused on working to meet the numbers that they don't focus on their people.
    Communicating and leading changes, setting goals and helping employees reach them, breaking down silos, a.k.a. being a true leader, all takes time and effort. If managers and anyone who wants to be a leader spent half the time on what is considered "soft skills" (and therefore irrelevant in the current environment) that they do working what they consider to be their "main job", there would be a lot less discontent and bad energy around this place.

Advice to Management -
    Quit making so many assumptions: about people, about the market, about daily reality for the majority of people. Life is very different at the bottom of the pyramid than it is at the top.

Knock down the silos by supporting cross-functional understanding and job opportunities, even to the "support functions" such as Finance, HR, Training, PR/Communications, Strategy, etc. Even though these functions don't make Aviall money directly, without them, there'd be no consistent growth.

Follow through on the initiatives that try and better the "soft skills". Culture classes, leadership training, employee development, etc are not all just the responsibility of HR to build and implement. They can teach all the classes they want, but if no one actually buys in to the message and uses it on a daily basis, then it's all a waste of time and money and nothing has changed.

Advice to Current Employees -
    Even the people "down in the trenches" need to realize that they can have a voice. If you don't like something, say something, stand up and own your opinion. Just because some people don't agree, that doesn't mean you're wrong.

If people contact you or ask for help, please do them the courtesy of responding, even if it's to politely decline or say you're too busy. Just because something doesn't seem important to you doesn't mean that it's not important to someone else.

Advice to Potential New Employees (and Current Employees who are Struggling) -
    You have to have a will of steel to be successful here. Nothing will be handed to you, but if you keep going for what you want, you can make it happen. There are people here willing to help you.

Great Company but Now is the Time to Shine!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Supply Chain Operations  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Supply Chain Operations in Dallas, TX

Pros

Still quite a few really good people here, company is trying to grow, backed by Boeing, salary and benefits seem competitive.

Cons

I can't really think of too many cons, except for the fact that we're running out of space at the corporate office.

Don't forget about the employee brain trust.

family atmosphere

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk in Dallas, TX

Pros

management had no communication bad leadership

Cons

long hours no promotion within bad communicatio

listinen to employees and promote within the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company has further potential but must stabilize in order to capitalize on current opportunities.

Current Employee - Employee  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in DFW, TX

Pros

The company contains a core of hard working dedicated employees and the potential to restart a growth curve similar to years past. It's reputation with OEMs remains intact and the significant influence of Boeing in the market can support this growth.

Cons

Poor focus and a lack of people capable of executing significant programs is what this company suffers from. Executive leadership has surrounded themselves with highly intelligent people that can generate an array of power point presentations and excel spread sheets but they lack the ability to collate information into an effective executable strategy. While the company still has a good reputation with OEMs, customers have lost confidence and that lack of confidence is showing itself in big ways. If this continues even the Boeing influence may not be able to stop the fall.

You have a group of very dedicated employees that have invested a significant portion of themselves in the company. They are smart, hard working and are waiting for executive leadership to demonstrate they have an executable vision and are just as interested in their employees as they are in themselves and their own careers. Find these people, it's not hard, you know who they are and where they work. Bring them into your trusted circle and allow them to show you what a core group of dedicated, savvy street fighters can do for your company.

Manager

Current Employee - Product Line Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Line Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

I started when it was a great company, before the new CEO took the company south.

Cons

CEO changes priority every week and Boeing says jump and he asked how high. It is so bad, the CEO asked us to write good reviews to help ratings and not make him look bad to Boeing.

Go back to what made the company great. Listen to your people and stop hiring your Raytheon buddies.

Company is Great, and Provides a Good Work Environment for Those Who Want to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

This company has been around for a long time. While it is owned by Boeing it still has the culture of a smaller company. I have seen many complaints about the company, but from my experience if you are a hard worker this company will provide a good career for you, and will provide a multitude of opportunities. The culture is great, and flexible and the company cares about it's employees

Cons

The company is is a state of growth and it isn't always easy finding your way to the solution. The company however, allows individuals to create new processes if one is willing to present a solution. It may take patients and perseverance but I strongly recommend this company for anyone who has an entrepreneurial attitude towards their work.

Keep the culture as it is, if we lose the company feel the way it is now, we will lose the edge of the company, and one of the things that makes the company great

Rewarding and exciting career in one of the most exhilarating industries!

Current Employee - Product Line Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Line Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Working for a world class organization that is a proven leader in the Aviation community is the first come to mind. A company that yearly graduates double digit employees into our prestigious 30 year of service club in my opinion honors not only the employee but the employer too. I have seen tremendous growth in my tenure and am happy that I have been a part of going from a small company to the “Super Power” we are today. I go to work most days excited that my job allows me to share my stories of long time success with the company I grew up in . I have never had a boss I didn’t like or one I didn’t learn something from. Some of my best friends are just a few feet away plus I have the privilege to call many of my co-workers extensions to my own family. Because of our wiliness to train, offer education assistance, promote from within I have obtained necessary skills often thought to not be achieved.

Cons

Like any company that goes through growing challenges and opportunities adaptability is a must have to be successful at Aviall. Without that skill you might feel overwhelmed at times.

Keep the momentum going and continue cultivate the already astounding employees we have at Aviall. Maintain our history and culture while leading us into the future.

Promising and Productive

Current Employee - Benefits  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits in Dallas, TX

Pros

Exciting Opportunities to grow and strategically align my skill set with company objectives.Great Benefit Package that includes a rich 401k, above the standard.

Cons

AT this time, I do not feel that there are any Cons. The Benefits Package is very good, 401k is very rich and work life balance is present in this environment as well as professional development opportunities.

Continue with Transperency of Company Intiatives and how my job and efforts directly contribute to these intiatives.

Company offering great opportunities for growth and development.

Current Employee - Product Line Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Line Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company invests in it's employees including a great benefits package including tuition reimbursement. The corporate culture is generally healthy with a desire to address challenges head on. The retooling of the corporate vision and strategy should provide sufficient opportunities for growth in the company.

Cons

Business units and value streams can be siloed at times, more collaboration and cross team understanding would be beneficial and help to address challenges more effectively.

Constantly evolving company with "can do" attitude towards meeting customer expectations at the highest level!

Current Employee - Aircraft Parts Guy  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Aircraft Parts Guy in Dallas, TX

Pros

Aviall provides many opportunites for personal growth and increasing responsibilities, which fuels engagement and continuous improvement in order for one to be ready for the next challenge presented. Outstanding sales and customer service training program, which has brought a high level of professionalism to the sales organization. Multi-level incentivized compensation program that is designed around team performance on all levels, but with a heavier weighting on base pay. International company, with a local footprints around the globe.

Cons

The most consistent challenge is "change" and that isn't necessarily a con, unless you are not about embracing continuous learning and developing new skills sets. Through the years, the sales training program has done a nice job of coaching the sales organization to embrace change while developing innovative solutions for our customers with the new tools constantly being presented by the business to fuel our growth.

Stay engaged with the work force, the most important people are on the floor executing our promises! Keep it simple, its not a very complex or highly technical business and most importantly, always find a way to have fun, this is a fun industry with fun customers! And finally, don't let the Seahawks beat the Cowboys to often!

Worked for Aviall? Contribute to the Community!