Aviall

Ed Dolanski

A GREAT place to work!

Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement empowers their people, pay is great, benefits are decent, believe in a good work-life balance

ConsGrowth is limited, Boeing is now taking an interest in the Aviall business, not very good at communication

An industry leader of a great industry where you can work with the best of the best.

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have been fortunate enough to work remotely for my entire career with Aviall. Management is flexible if you prove to bring value to the company, do what is expected of you, and produce results. The Senior Executives seem to be open minded and consider well-developed solutions for the company, when presented professionally. The have a "create a business plan and make it happen' type of approach. There are some incredible managers and employees that really understand our business from a big picture perspective. The people are like family and I can safely say there isn't one person in the company I wouldn't enjoy going out and grabbing a beer with; whoever it would be, I'm sure I would learn something.

ConsThey don't hire more employees at remote locations. I don't find the growth in Dallas has been the best thing for the company; it has created many added levels to navgate. The latest ERP upgrade has added a challenging transition, but it is temporary and I do see potential of the new program. With such a well-established experienced employee base, the transition has turned a lot of experts into novices. This too is temporary and thankfully we have a lor of smart people that will become experts once again.

Advice to Senior ManagementReading some of the negative reviews of interoffice politics, I would suggest opening up more of the non-operational positions to remote employees. This allows a broader talent pool as well as prevents job-hopping or the need for a family to be uprooted in order to advance in the company.

In an effort to streamline some of the system changes or suggestions, I would suggest a quartely web conference would be nice, similar to the vendor training we used to hold every Monday or Tuesday. It would allow a discussion of the large system quirks, expert recommendations, and thoughts from the field and things that have been found from tribal knowledge of using the program. Communication is key right now, and email may not be the most effective approach.

Once a great place to work.

CAS (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are average. Superior products. They care about the physical safety of its employees. World wide locations. A Boeing company.

ConsSince the implementation of SAP, this company could care less about it's customers or employees. SAP is MAJOR FAIL. Aviall has lost a large portion of it's general aviation business. Customers are more than upset that orders never ship and when they do they are missing documentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe upper management should of thought about how the conversion to SAP would impact the business and the lives of dedicated employees.

Culture........................ not so much anymore........

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aviall full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, most of them anyway. Big name in the industry. Some benefits are great, too much " old school " mentality.

ConsHuge reluctance to get rid of dead weight. I see this over and over in the reviews. Management lets dysfunction run wild. Lack of education in upper management and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and read the surveys that the employees write and really take a stance against the BS.

MAD MEN mentality! If you are a woman most likely you will not move up unless you are willing to go under the desk.

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 5 years

Proshaving a job with average benefits

ConsDiscrimination, nepotism and if you are a female, be ready to be sexually harassed and viewed as ‘fresh meat’ by married and single male coworkers alike. Some of upper managers condones such behavior; and if you dare to speak up you will not be promoted and will be ostracized.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoeing is cleaning house and they need to! But instead of laying off the hard-working bees, they should instead layoff those managers who practice nepotism and promote each other’s friends and lovers. C’mon, how many managers do you need to change a light bulb? We have a department with four people that consist of: a Director, a Manager and only TWO additional employees!! Give me a break!
Also, I have never seen so much waste in a company! Especially in marketing and upper management! Everything from unnecessary “company business trips” of which I have heard some of them boasting of going to stripper clubs and partying too much, barely able to actually do any meaningful work!
The HR department is a joke and Boeing really needs to investigate that department and clean house there as well, put some people with backbone who will do the right thing when they need to instead of looking the other way when the managers are misbehaving and stop condoning bad behavior!

I enjoy the work I do, but the lack of upward career mobility is beginning to force me to look for other opportunities.

Current Employee (Current Employee)
Irving, TX

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEnjoy the work. Above average benefits.

ConsDiminished work/life balance. Fear of reprisal for the expression of any opinions contrary to the agenda set forth by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt took years for Aviall to build the outstanding culture it once had. It has taken only months to tear it down. I'm not sure that the damage that has been done will ever completely be rebuilt.

Be careful, Aviall is a Boeing Company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aviall full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTrying to grow in their new business environment imposed by Boeing.
Benefits are above average.
Solid company history in aviation industry.

ConsConstant reorganization of organizations. Most recently, several new VP position created. This reorganization is an attempt to deal with the changes in their core customers. They are being very reactive rather than proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 80+ years as a company without laying off employees, you have managed to destroy the Aviall culture that you have but so much emphasis on trying to capture. The recent lay offs have put a great unease in the employees. Expect the cream to bail.

One of the best groups of people to work with.

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people are great, they leave yoou alone if you do your job and bring value to the company.

ConsThe current job opportunities are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it fresh.

Enter at your own peril

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aviall full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some very talented individuals at Aviall.
There is always opportunity to learn new lines of business.
Company has decent benefits and is likely one of the few reasons it still can boast about some of its tenured resources.
Parent company makes genuine efforts to grow leaders.

ConsYou can try to sit back and review every situation on merits of what's observed in an attempt to maintain an open mind. At Aviall, objectivity is relegated as an afterthought. You simply cannot flourish professionally if you observe and articulate deficiencies that need addressing, especially if the observations are contrary to " Ed Dolansky's projected reality".

This is now a company that is purely driven by executive incentives. Priority is given to projects that have glam but no substance. A good example would be the "Aviation Wing". It's glitzy but leaves you wondering how it's justified to remote branches who operate on 5+ year old hardware.

Over the last 4 years, Aviall has slipped away from being cognizant of Quality of Life and how those efforts reap tangible rewards - lower health issues, loyalty to stretch when called upon, and retained corporate knowledge. The level of attrition has increased drastically with the latest project in IT and it is becoming obvious that burnout and the aforementioned sentiment is starting to taint the productivity and morale within the organization.

Boeing should make a serious effort to investigate the effectiveness of Aviall's HR representatives. From the bleachers it appears some serious fumbling has been the result of their efforts with RIF activities.

In terms of the industry, Aviall is at the top of its niche and there are plenty of contributors still actively involved in the company. But that has been eroding quicker in the last three years and I'm sure Boeing knows something is amiss.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost something in your pursuit to prove to Boeing that the current Sr. team is competent enough to be trusted with the reins, your vision, your ethical reputation and the trust of those you depend on to make lofty goals a reality.

It seems that the appearance of impropriety are simply footnotes passed around during annual ethics recommitments. Interference and in some cases outright intimidation tactics are tools for cultural remediation. It's quite apparent at this point that Aviall leadership doesn't want to address its current malaise with honest reflection.

It now becomes incumbent on Boeing to coarse correct this company before its investment goes luke-warm.

Change for the Worse

I have been working at Aviall

ProsThe people are great and really care about the company and its customers.

ConsThe culture has deteriorated significantly: inconsistent messages from management, poor communications, repeated staff reductions, people no longer count ...

Worked for Aviall? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aviall reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aviall CEO Ed Dolanski. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Aviall employees.