Avid Technology

www.avid.com

Avid Technology Reviews in Daly City, CA

Updated May 16, 2014

Avid Technology President & CEO Louis Hernandez, Jr.

Louis Hernandez, Jr.

Pros
  • There was an air of gratitude for getting to work with great products like ProTools that were so much a part of the lives of musicians(in 33 reviews)

• Great people, Flexible work hours A great product that can do some amazing things in an exciting industry(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sometimes lacks initiative to innovate(in 26 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue what they are doing to the point that we have been delisted and lost all our value(in 16 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Digidesign - Descent from one of the best workplaces to a discontinued brand and disaffected workforce under Avid brand

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsWhen I joined, Digidesign was full of passionate, accomplished professionals, who both knew and used the products they designed and supported. The company was full of gifted musicians. There was an air of gratitude for getting to work with great products like ProTools that were so much a part of the lives of musicians. The General Manager Dave Lebolt was a gifted musician and a fierce intellect, and the CEO Davd Krall was a briliiant leader with a wonderful human touch and passion for his people and products.

ConsWhen I was laid off it was a relief because Gary Greenfield and the rest of the executive staff that came after David Krall's departure had completely destroyed the sense of a company bonded through a common commitment to products that served an industry we loved. It became all about the bottom line, and as was the trend, fewer people were being asked to do much more, with much less. While I am sure this is unfair to remaining staff who continued doing great work and making great products, my experience was of a company that lost its soul in the pursuit of profit, and in the pursuit of clarifying the Avid brand, eliminated the Digidesign brand associated with great products and passionately committed employees.

Was an innovative & talented company 5 years ago

Program Manager (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsAvid's professional audio & video software and audio hardware are industry standards and compete with the best, but quality and innovative products have taken a back seat to the bottom line. Once had some of the best audio and video software engineers in the business. Pro Tools is their most profitable SW product and maybe Media Composer if you can afford it. Adobe's video software is much easier to use.

ConsSince 2008, executive management came from merger and acquisition businesses in an attempt to consolidate all divisions into One Avid, which was an enormous failure. The CEO, CFO and others (the Greenfield gang) had to resign in early 2013 due to questionable business practices and for basically running the company into the ground. Company went from over 800 million a year to under 400 million. The best audio & video engineers have left the company in the last 5 years. Software design jobs went to China and Ukraine and American engineers were laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to another audio & video professional company who knows how to run this type of business. Get rid of the meager/acquisition capitalist pigs who are killing this company.

Was once a shiny star....

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsTalented creative, employees, at times decent structure, no wasted resources. Invested in top notch systems.

ConsUnfortunately Avid has been on a downhill spiral since they incorporated their brands under the Avid umbrella. Hiring more and more management upper management with no experience in video or audio who do not understand the space, products or their customer. Always paid low for the industry. Revolving door of management and continued to lay off top employees and groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should have tried to retain sr. level executives who understand the audio and video industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How could you screw this up?

Software Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsHome to great products—the industry standards for decades. Fellow low-level employees are knowledgeable and passionate. They were generous with the vacation time (though that's stopped now), and the employee discounts are fantastic.

ConsSlightly lower pay than other companies. A long, slow decline in stature and industry prominence. Long hours and stress. But all those are minor next to the horrific, depressing, painful ineptitude of executive management, who drove a good company right into the ground. The good, industry-oriented executives were all pushed out in favor of "numbers people", who have no understanding of the market segment they allegedly serve.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go away.

Sales Manager

Sales Management (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsGreat products (or did have once upon a time) in audio, music, video. Talented and enthusiastic people with interest in (and experience) in arts and media

Conshighly disorganized. Poor strategy, communication, etc. Top executives do not understand the markets for most of the products

Advice to Senior Managementgo manage something that doesn't require an understanding of creative professionals

An old dinosaur with no eggs

Engineer (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsYou actually get an office in most locations! Cool people and a decent location. This company has a lot of potential. They have cool products and a great market.

ConsStill to many managers and not enough workers. As much as I hate to say it. Office Space all the way. No direction and a lot of waste. Benefits are not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Cool Products and Solid Engineering

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Daly City, CA

Pros- The audio engineering teams I've worked with at Avid are particularly strong and passionate about the products they create. Working along side people like that is inspiring.
    - The engineering management is strong, combining clear goals and directives with some flexibility to innovate.
    - The customers we support are also inspiring. You can't listen to the radio or go to the movies without encountering works of are that were created/edited/mixed in Pro Tools.

Cons- Product roadmaps are not always clear and longer term goals seem difficult to resource.
    - Executive management seems out-of-touch with products, customers, and employees.
    - Very deep cuts into the US based teams over the past 5 years have created numerous challenges.
    - Very little confidence in executive management's ability to grow the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and customers.
    Encourage innovation not just with words, but by supporting innovative and risky projects.
    Setup clear product roadmaps with realistic goals to get there.
    Reward passionate employees when they succeed.
    Don't cut deeper into the organization as there is already little to no redundancy in skills/knowledge.

Needs a visit to the guillotine

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsThe people who are on the ground floor, getting real work done developing products are the most talented and passionate people out there. These people are also the users of the products and are deeply connected with the rest of the user base. Only the people and the innovative products they created made the job worth it.

ConsDue to annual layoffs and management demanding more productivity and longer hours from a continually decreasing work force, there is NO trust in the competence of upper management. There is NO trust in job security. There is NO morale left. There is NO goodwill left for upper management from the people who actually develop the products. Products are selling, the work force is being slashed and the company still can't make a profit? Upper management continues to cut from the bottom and promote at the top at a rate that is so fast, the typical employee has given up on trying to memorize the ever-shifting hierarchy. Pretty soon there will be no one left to make any products to sell. Imagine a company made up of only execs patting themselves on the back while leaching what is left of a once great company until it's sucked dry. That is the future of Avid.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead these reviews! This is what your past and present employees think of you. A child could easily put together the general theme here. Cut from the top, hire at the bottom, get people who actually know the industry to run the company or Avid will die. Long live Digidesign!

Sad to watch what was and could be such a great place go down the tubes...

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsTalented people (what is left) great products. Investment in technology infrastructure once solid.

ConsUpper management is running this company into the ground. The decisions are ridiculous and don't make sense from a financial, moral, tactical, and lack business sense all together. Parts of the business that were progressive were dismantled, while leaving no plan for how the lights stay on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new management team fast.

In a bad place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Daly City, CA

ProsWe make great products for dynamic, creative people. I used to be proud to call this place my workplace.

ConsThe executives are completely out of touch with the people who do the work. I think the last big layoff was the last straw for a lot of us. We are left with huge holes in the organization, and a million VPs who don't have a clue. Almost everyone here used to actually work in Audio or Video. Now the only thing that seems to matter is if you live in Burlington. The heart and soul of Avid is gone, or is at least on LinkedIn.

Worked for Avid Technology? Contribute to the Community!