Avid Technology Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
244 reviews filtered by
2.4
Avid Technology President & CEO Louis Hernandez, Jr.
Louis Hernandez, Jr.

Pros
  • Very knowledgeable employees, great products, interesting industry, great customers (in 35 reviews)

• Great people at the company, got to learn many different areas of Finance during the internship (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sometimes lacks initiative to innovate (in 26 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue what they are doing to the point that we have been delisted and lost all our value (in 16 reviews)

1. typical company, overworked, understaffed.

I worked at Avid Technology

Pros

the product is great, the people are generally good, dedicated people.

Cons

my new manager was awful. the hours were horrific, mainly because there was not enough staff to complete tasks. Not conducive to balancing family with work.

realize that your ambition is getting in the way of progress. regroup, treat your people better.

2. Refocusing to build a new baseline ...

Give Mgmt credit for understanding they need to change to stay relevant.

Former Employee - Management in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Went from a lack of clear vision to clear vision.

Good people are still there trying to do the right thing.

Cons

Lack of accountability for some failed high level initiatives

Alienation of some good people that actually make things work.

Look at anything that can be "elite benefits" vs "regular folsk benefits" and align - you are ALREADY doing work here - please do more.

If you believe in your story lead by example and take less now, and more when things are better.

Understand who is killing themselves to make the company successful - do some double or triple skip level meetings.

3. This company is destroying its long term viability for short term profits.

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Avid Technology

Pros

Avid editing systems are still considered the industry standard, so the name still carries some clout.

Cons

Except for those who use Avid's editing products, customers in the professional broadcast segment do not trust this company. It has become a professional liability to represent Avid.

Many of your best and brightest are now working for your competition. You have sacrificed the goodwill and trust that many of the companies that you purchased had in exchange for that quarterly bottom line. You fail to understand your markets and the requirements for development. Like a car that is not maintained, you might continue to run for awhile, but don't be surprised if you find Avid by the side if the road, unable to go anywhere.

5. Great products, great customers, unstable leadership

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our customers make all the best movies, tv shows and records in the world.

Cons

Our leadership changes every 1-2 years and they never seem to understand our customers or the film, tv or music industries. Lots of internal politics.

Spend more time listening to customers. Take a more active interest in learning about the industries they work in.

Great teams, leadership getting better!

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The coworkers and teams are great, many smart and creative people.
    Avid products are way cool and it makes me proud to work on them.
    Products, industry and customer base are top notch, demanding and exciting.
    There is finally leadership in the top ranks and a clear vision and goal for the company.
    Avid is finally changing - moving and aligning towards the vision of Avid Everywhere.

Cons

Too many things are "top priority" at the same time, no focus.
    CEO vision is clear, but I can't feel it in the management below.
    Lack of communication between organizations.

Make company management buy into the vision and lead accordingly.
    Do more for your employees, establish career paths and invest into your loyal employee base.

7. Oops. We lied again.

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Middle management did a good job of screening the executive BS from stopping actual work getting done.

Cons

Revolving door of upper management MBAs from Harvard coming in to save the company for the financial quarter. Rinse, repeat. You never knew when it was going to be your turn to get laid off.

Don't pretend people are going to keep buying your products because once upon a time they were "the industry standard".

Management is completely uninterested in the success of its employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's cliche, but many of the people are fantastic. The product is sexy and the industry is exciting. The company's artistic and passionate roots are still visible at times, though barely.

Cons

Low salaries, lackluster benefits, atrocious work-life balance. Merit increases were suspended while millions were paid out in executive bonuses in 2014. Team building exercises and employee appreciation events have been almost completely phased out. Upper management is not shy to express that they want people to leave, and the company has lost a lot of good people as a result.

Invest in your people.

9. High Turnover,False promises of Bonus, Stock has no value - No Employee Training programs. Too many Directors

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable product

Service is always down when people try to use the product

Cons

Unpaid overtime , Bonuses are promised and then Executives announce end of year no bonuses this year to increase their own bonus returns.

Focus on outsourcing and moving jobs out of North America

High Ratio of turn over , even folks with 20 years come into environment and can't coup with the Survivor game taking place in corporate politics

No Employee focus every next month layoffs and people moving out

Get rid of all the Directors

(INTERN:) I was given specific tasks (daily, weekly, & monthly) and was given helpful lessons in order to be productive.

Former Intern - Customer Success Specialist in Burlington, MA
    Former Intern - Customer Success Specialist in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Most internships programs DO NOT compensate their interns, AVID does. This was extremely helpful and allowed me to afford gas, food, and essentials. Also, the "large" size of the program (around 30 students) allows for ideas to be shared and contacts to be made. In addition, the competitiveness of the program's interview process is helpful for the real world and real interviews. Another grat aspect fo the program was the managers flexsbility with intern's hours, days off, and any specific/unique requests; they realize that were not just there for the money and that were there to help and learn. Lastly, The employee's with whom I worked with were all extremely nice and patient while teaching me new skills; random employees would reach out to me to help them with projects and would teach me how to complete them effectively and efficiently. Oh, P.S.- There were some awesome field-trips!

Cons

None that I can think of, maybe just the commute from Salem, MA to Burlington, MA (30 min drive time was on avg. a 1-hour commute during rush hours) :-P

Divide the field-trips up into smaller groups of interns, too many folks at one site was over-whelming!

Creative Services

Former Contractor - Creative Director - Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Contractor - Creative Director - Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The Avid brand has a wide range of interesting products to provide creative materials for, and a talented, collaborative-thinking team to work with.

Cons

I had a long commute, which was at times challenging due to the high volume of traffic in Burlington, which has a high concentration of companies.

Retain highly talented employees who are passionate about your brand.

Avid Technology Photos