Avid Technology Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.4

Avid Technology President & CEO Louis Hernandez, Jr.
Louis Hernandez, Jr.

Pros
  • There was an air of gratitude for getting to work with great products like ProTools that were so much a part of the lives of musicians (in 33 reviews)

• Great people, Flexible work hours A great product that can do some amazing things in an exciting industry (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sometimes lacks initiative to innovate (in 26 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue what they are doing to the point that we have been delisted and lost all our value (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great technology and customers but company is somewhat slow in making decisions and committing to innovation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time

Pros

Very knowledgeable employees, great products, interesting industry, great customers

Cons

Company is slow to commit to innovation, competitive industry and revenue challenges make outlook uncertain

Commit to innovation, shelter innovators from general business processes, reward innovators and risk taker, encourage diverse perspectives and viewpoints

Not a great experience

Former Employee - Sales  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and vacation time

Cons

Some management have no experience in industry

Let your employees do their job

This is great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, people matter at Avid. The managers that I deal with are always looking for the win/win/win solution. They want a strong company with employees that have exciting challenges combined with a full life with customers that are highly satisfied. The money is good. The benefits are good. The life/work balance is very good. The new CEO and the people that surround him, seem to have a solid plan for bringing the company back to what it once was. During the little over a year since the current CEO took over, there is noticeable improvement and a clear plan for long term success.

Cons

The company is struggling to recover from some bad times. These times have left both dissatisfied customers and some habits that need to be corrected. That does mean that there are crises and things that desperately need fixing. There has definitely been a backing away from some perks that are inconsistent with the company's recovery. This can be hard on some of the longer term employees.

Continue to share the benefits of the successes with the whole set of employees. Maintain a commitment to a clear and concrete plan for the ongoing success of the company. Make sure that everyone knows why Avid does what it does as well as what changes we need to make to achieve success for all. Maintain a balance between what we need to do to deal will immediate issues and what we need to do for long term success.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging product line, lean workforce, great opportunities if leadership can get its act together..

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tuition re-reimbursement, challenge of supporting cutting edge media tools for a recession-proof, constantly evolving industry. The chance to contribute to a global enterprise and solve problems for editors and contributors all over the world. The chance to solve problems for creative content contributors on the other side of the globe.

Cons

Big and well-organized (but less-industry focused) competitors crowding out the market,

Bungling of financials by unsound executive teams of the past,

Turnover. Executives have not garnered morale in the past with a series of nearly yearly layoffs and project cancellations. Many good engineers have simply moved on on their own volition.

Work more closely with product teams to build future solutions.

We need more openness and transparency.

It would be nice to get more frequent updates on the results of current campaigns.

Hmmm

I worked at Avid Technology full-time

Pros

Product Specialists and Development team are all very passionate about their products, so in that regard, it becomes more like a family than a job. In this regard the corporate management of the company should be overly thankful that these people still exist within the company structure at all and in the Cons I'll explain why.

Cons

Doing your job day in and out with the cloud hovering over your head of whether you'll be one of the ones let go at the end of the next quarter due to the share price or sales going down is NO WAY to live. It's more then stressful, and goes a long way to confirm the fact that "products that help the industry" is not what Avid is about anymore. The entire structure has become too complicated. You don't feel appreciated at all, you're just a number, LITERALLY, a number somewhere in the country doing something.

Bring in people at the very top who are from the industry that is relevant. Make the staff on a whole feel appreciated. Stop just cutting staff every time a share price changes or you decide sales are down so people must go. Start creating an atmosphere that the staff on a whole can be proud of. HOLD ON to the people who love the product and help them grow, bring in their ideas, and get politics and politically minded people out of the company. Avid provides creative products to a creative industry. Start listening to the staff and the user base and you may find some former glory again. Right now looking on from the outside, it's just disappointing, and I feel bad for the friends of mine who still work there.

Lots of Turnover

Former Employee - Director  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products.
    Awesome customers.
    Leadership is getting stronger.

Cons

Turnover - lay-offs and voluntary separations
    Financial uncertainty

Hire more experienced people for key roles. Focus on marketing to help drive sales. Support your channel.

What a nightmare!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tough one! I'm not sure there are any left. CEO has taken everything he possibly can from the employees and admitted that he was surprised that he didn't get more people to quit. Great people, Flexible work hours A great product that can do some amazing things in an exciting industry

Cons

CEO and upper Management. Doing your job plus one or two ex coworkers job. No direction. No increase in pay. No future. Can't dispute anything in fear of losing your job even though you know you are right. His way or the highway. Could go on and on.

GET OUT!!!

Digidesign - Descent from one of the best workplaces to a discontinued brand and disaffected workforce under Avid brand

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When I joined, Digidesign was full of passionate, accomplished professionals, who both knew and used the products they designed and supported. The company was full of gifted musicians. There was an air of gratitude for getting to work with great products like ProTools that were so much a part of the lives of musicians. The General Manager Dave Lebolt was a gifted musician and a fierce intellect, and the CEO Davd Krall was a briliiant leader with a wonderful human touch and passion for his people and products.

Cons

When I was laid off it was a relief because Gary Greenfield and the rest of the executive staff that came after David Krall's departure had completely destroyed the sense of a company bonded through a common commitment to products that served an industry we loved. It became all about the bottom line, and as was the trend, fewer people were being asked to do much more, with much less. While I am sure this is unfair to remaining staff who continued doing great work and making great products, my experience was of a company that lost its soul in the pursuit of profit, and in the pursuit of clarifying the Avid brand, eliminated the Digidesign brand associated with great products and passionately committed employees.

Not a good experience

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Avid Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, salary and commissions

Cons

Terrible management
    Too many good people laid off

Great team of experts in the industry

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promotions - 50/50
    Personal growth - 100%
    Time-off - 50/50
    Money in the bank
    Great product line

Cons

Financial issues
    Still playing catching up instead of being a leader in the industry

Keep up with the current "revolution"

Worked for Avid Technology? Contribute to the Community!