Avira Reviews

Reset
3.9
Avira CEO Travis Witteveen
Travis Witteveen

1. A great work enviornment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Avira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in the California office just south of San Francisco and besides being in a great location my co-workers are awesome. All are supportive of one another and want and strive for a successful business. Avira fosters creativity in all areas of the business that I have experienced and is loyal to its employees. Avira also offers a very nice benefits package and office perks. I truly enjoying coming to work every day and I think this alone speaks volumes about a company.

Cons

If there are any cons it would be the distance to the company HQ in Germany.

2. Jury is still out for the future of the company

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Avira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More holidays than any US company I have heard of. Benefits used to be very impressive when I worked there (health, 401k). Work life balance is great since you are essentially competing with your counterparts in Europe which traditionally have much more relaxed work culture. CEO is a smart guy but has been let down by his upper and middle management so much that he does not trust them anymore (perhaps rightfully so)

Cons

Very German company culture which has many conflicts with US culture (not to mention Silicon Valley). Many re-organizations a year (positions lost, transferred...) No clear vision and no product for the modern world, the userbase is old and is getting older. Huge amount of office politics and bureaucracy is almost crippling. No career growth in US office. Many early morning meetings since other offices are at earlier time zones.

Advice to Management

Hire stronger middle management and have product decisions come from bottom up. Give appropriate resources to the managers to deliver

Avira Response

Aug 28, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve, so we are genuinely appreciate your feedback. We will pass over your suggestions to our Management team.

A great place to make an impact

I have been working at Avira full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits... Competitive wage, top health care, flexible hours, mac book, thunderbolt display, iPhone subsidize gym membership and nice long holidays. Global travel to offices in Germany, Europe and California. You really can make an impact here, Avira has many employees but unlike other big companies your voice will be heard and you will get to work on things that really improve the company. There is still so much to be done! The work is exciting and we are just in the beginning of turning what is an old company into a slick new modern approach to security.

Cons

Convincing others to take the right approach can sometime be very difficult. On the plus side the art of persuasion is a new skill you will pick if you don't have it already.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the boundaries but never loose focus of the core product that makes Avira great!

5. Business Development Manager

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Avira full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture with a great office location just south of the city. The perks here are the best, European vacation days, meals, snacks and drinks provided, 401K with great match, and company phone if necessary for the position.Management team is very supportive in all aspects of the business. Sales training provided to help grow skill sets. Avira also encourages a strong work/life balance.

Cons

Headquarters are in Germany, this means that we here in the US office don't get as much face-time with management and other development focused colleagues who are located in HQ or one of the European offices. Compensation is slightly under market for SF area but the perks help make up for it.

Toxic environment in US branch

Current Employee - Senior Technical Eng in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Eng in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avira full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is OK Benefits slightly better than avarage

Cons

I was witness of harassment of new coworkers. Bad treatment of new hires by senior customer service reps/ managment local and from HQ Managment was doing nothing to stop. I think again if I wanna stay.

Advice to Management

Comply to local rules. Do something against bullying and harassment. Have a training system in place, which covers all aspects.

7. Start-up environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Avira full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start-up that got acquired by larger German company - pro was that they kept on most former SocialShield employees

Cons

Located in San Bruno rather than the city or somewhere more south on the peninsula

Good employees, bad managers

Current Employee - APL in Tettnang (Germany)
    Current Employee - APL in Tettnang (Germany)

I have been working at Avira full-time

Pros

Nice technical environment. Nice building. Limited work pressure. The firm is not so big, so you can have a look at everything.

Cons

Location, it's just far from everything. Most of the biggest managers in the technical department are young and useless. They are either friends of the former CEO's son, or friends of friends.

Advice to Management

Hire good managers, stop the kiss-ass promotion.

9. Okay.

Former Employee - Malware Analyst in Tettnang (Germany)
    Former Employee - Malware Analyst in Tettnang (Germany)

Pros

Free drinks, nice building, affordable lunch

Cons

loud office, bad breathing air, bad management/decision making

Advice to Management

Listen to your workforce, be honest

10. Product Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tettnang (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tettnang (Germany)

I worked at Avira full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are all about the big change the company is experiencing in terms of technologies adopted to achieve its goals. The wide usage of latest Big Data solutions make it an ideal place to learn more about this.

Cons

Unfortunately people management it is not at its best. Definitely it is possible to find out places where employees are cared and valued more. Not even considering the "cold" atmosphere that governs the environment.

Advice to Management

I strongly believe people are the real asset of any company and should be coached and mentored continuously. Proper programs to enhance their engagement to the company will be beneficial.

Avira Response

Aug 28, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. And we are very sorry for your not so good experience. We do agree that people are the real asset of any company, as you mentioned, and ... More

11. Good Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tettnang (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tettnang (Germany)

Pros

- Good communication - Good products - young motivated team - good career chances

Cons

- sometimes a little bit chaotic

RSS Feed </> Embed