Avis Budget Group

Updated January 30, 2015
3.1

Avis Budget Group CEO Ron Nelson
Ron Nelson

Pros
  • Good benefits including sick days and paid vacation (in 19 reviews)

• It's a Union location and there is great benefits because of the Union (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Deal with it" from upper management then blamed for poor customer review (in 31 reviews)

• Poor work life balance but it depends on your project (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to Work

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

ABG is a huge company with a definite Family feel.

Cons

cross communication within departments would be helpful.

Great place to Work

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Great upward mobility. Great benefits. Great leadership.

Cons

Uneven pay between work groups.

Phenomenal Company, wonderful people to work with, very supportive management and team

Former Employee - Business Development Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Business Development Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers I needed to depend on were very dependable, and owned their job. The pay was very good, and the benefits the best I've seen in my career. The opportunity to learn never stopped, and there was always plenty to do. I felt as though I was my own boss, managing my territory. I worked in the corporate sales environment, so I can only speak a limited amount to the operations side, but everyone I worked with in every position enjoyed their job very much. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend. The company car was a great perk as well.

Cons

Being a publicly held company, I believe senior leadership struggles with keeping shareholders happy. This can be disconcerting to the direction the company takes for the employees. Avis Budget Group is a very big company, and constant change is inevitable. Unfortunately I had to part from the company because my position was moved to the West coast and I could not follow. If you are talented enough to join the team in corporate sales, perform well, and are relocatable, then upward mobility is very attainable. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would, but working for Avis Budget Group is not for those that are not adaptable to change.

At the time that I write this, senior leadership has almost completely changed, with a new President for North America, and fairly new SVPs. Please keep the best interest of your team in mind, and when you hear constructive feedback on one of your team, please make sure you know the full story before making judgments and especially determinations. I respect Joe, Beth, Chad, Ned, Jeannine, and Bob very much. You have a lot of lives depending on you, and great responsibilities to lead them. Keep up the good work!

Great employer with a lot of room for advancement

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company car, great health insurance, a lot of PTO

Cons

Work/life balance, very long hours

Pull your head out of your arss and quit adding more layers of top management when more focus is needed on a local level!

Great company

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I retired 2 days previous from a 39 year career on a Sunday and began my new career at Avis/Budget on Monday. I was immediately accepted and felt accepted. As a former educator, I was impressed with the amount of acceptance and training I was given.

Cons

I have not witnessed any negative situations.

Helpful managers that are always available.

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

I chose to work at Avis Budget group because it is a well known company that I feel proud to be part of.

Cons

Benefits are only available for certain full time positions. Many jobs are only part time positions.

Love this place

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

Opportunity to grow, very receptive upper management, positive outlook, fantastic benefits, company car, the ability to make a change

Cons

Dealing with old management that needs to be replaced because they are lazy

Don't settle on hiring someone as a manager if they don't have the personality for it. They need to be a manager and a leader. Don't settle.

The key to this company is to work in a corporate office

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Benefits: any non-management employee who works at a corporate office (Parsippany, Virginia Beach, Tulsa) becomes benefit eligible the first of the month after they began working. The employee has access to every available benefit option. You are also auto-enrolled in the 401k plan at the same time that you become benefit eligible. The benefits are very reasonable and usually don't increase by more than $1-3 every year.
    - Holidays: if you work in an office you're guaranteed your regular holidays (July 4, MLK day) and sometimes your building VP or the higher-ups in corporate will randomly give you a full day (Labor Free Friday) or half-days (Friday before Easter) off. I believe this is exclusive to Virginia Beach and Parsippany.
    - Work Environment: The building is kept spotless and the facilities are in great condition. Any issue you do have is resolved within that week. The people are also extremely friendly, even total strangers.
    - Dresscode: I worked in Virginia Beach and the building was casual (jeans, t-shirt, sneakers). Yes, you're allowed to wears jeans and sneakers in the VAB office. There were however a small number of departments that required business casual.
    - Corporate perks: catered lunches for the Superbowl, vendor fairs with freebies or discounts, on-site awesome nurse who will write and order RXs for you
    - Work culture: the company does a good job of making sure that you're work environment is as friendly and entertaining as possible and they do make sure you have time to spend with family (random days off).

Cons

- From what I've seen, the pay can be pretty-low in some departments
    - Depending on what your department, it may be difficult to get into another one. If you intend to apply to another department, it's best if you have experience with rentals, accounting/finance, billing, collections

This advice is specific to only my department, so don't apply this to the whole company.

- Don't be a manager if you cannot deal with confrontation. Your inability to confront issues is what creates the "tension" you speak often about amongst employees.
    - Don't pick a minor issue to confront (missing breaks) to feel like you're actually dealing with an issue in order to avoid more important ones (consistent tardies, multiple daily 30 minute breaks, watching TV). Employees are more aggravated that you turn a not-so blind-eye to these larger issues creating more "tension".

Avis Budget Group is an exciting company that has plenty of room for advancement, the pay is great and the managers are always there for you.This company has changed my life!

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

You are working with friends, the company and managers are always there to back you up. The pay and commission are great!

Cons

You do have to be a good salesman. Your whole job is to sell and upsell customers. If this is not your niche, you won't last here.

Wonderful Place to Work

Current Employee - Vehicle Return Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vehicle Return Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

We are not micro-managed. Our Management Team has provided us the skills and tools to be able to perform our jobs. I appreciate the way that they allow us to take care of the customers to insure that they are satisfied and will be repeat customers. I also really like that I have a set schedule!

Cons

Better rain gear needed for rainy days