Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
613 reviews filtered by

1. Phenomenal Company, wonderful people to work with, very supportive management and team

Former Employee - Business Development Leader in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Business Development Leader in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers I needed to depend on were very dependable, and owned their job. The pay was very good, and the benefits the best I've seen in my career. The opportunity to learn never stopped, and there was always plenty to do. I felt as though I was my own boss, managing my territory. I worked in the corporate sales environment, so I can only speak a limited amount to the operations side, but everyone I worked with in every position enjoyed their job very much. I would definitely recommend this company to a friend. The company car was a great perk as well.

Cons

Being a publicly held company, I believe senior leadership struggles with keeping shareholders happy. This can be disconcerting to the direction the company takes for the employees. Avis Budget Group is a very big company, and constant change is inevitable. Unfortunately I had to part from the company because my position was moved to the West coast and I could not follow. If you are talented enough to join the team in corporate sales, perform well, and are relocatable, then upward mobility is very attainable. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would, but working for Avis Budget Group is not for those that are not adaptable to change.

At the time that I write this, senior leadership has almost completely changed, with a new President for North America, and fairly new SVPs. Please keep the best interest of your team in mind, and when you hear constructive feedback on one of your team, please make sure you know the full story before making judgments and especially determinations. I respect Joe, Beth, Chad, Ned, Jeannine, and Bob very much. You have a lot of lives depending on you, and great responsibilities to lead them. Keep up the good work!

2. Great place to Work

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Great upward mobility. Great benefits. Great leadership.

Cons

Uneven pay between work groups.

Finance manager

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free company car with paid gas and insurance. Free company cellphone with paid services. Some management are genuine and care the employees. Good exposure to upper management. Able to learn a lot about car rental industry.

Cons

Condescending upper management, unnecessary face time, long hours (11hours per day), high turnover in some teams, manger being micro management, inefficient HR, no exit interview.

Stop calling your employees stupid.

5. Good place to work

Current Employee - Avis Budget Group Rental Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Avis Budget Group Rental Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

It is positive energy and positive environment here in Phoenix.

Cons

The rentals are slow in the summer so there can be time off, voluntary.

Management has been good.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Great boss, opportunity for growth

Cons

bad area, trying to transfer

need more time off

7. Great employer with a lot of room for advancement

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company car, great health insurance, a lot of PTO

Cons

Work/life balance, very long hours

Pull your head out of your arss and quit adding more layers of top management when more focus is needed on a local level!

So far eh

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Location and hours. Good manager so far.

Cons

Too many coworkers that have attitudes, sales sabotage environment from coworkers, pay eh, training inconsistent.

Expand opportunities that are corporate to areas other than VA.

Low salary and really uninspiring, insincere management

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to get into so an easy resume builder. Good training opportunities - if you take the time to pursue them yourself and convince your manager to reimburse. Depending on your manager, lots of opportunities to learn and try new things. 35 hour work week.

Cons

Sketchy management practices overall. Most managers will will say one thing but do another which results in low morale and trust. But leadership team has recently changed - again - so perhaps this will slowly change too as it was a "trickle-down" effect from one bad seed in upper management who has since been replaced. Q4 usually sees layoffs at HQ (last 5-6 years) so employees constantly waiting to see if this year is their turn. To meet their numbers, management will make up performance "issues" out of the blue to try and get higher salaried people to resign (without severance) so they can hire a lower paid replacement. Old school - like your Grandfather or Dad's "good old boys" company culture. Female advancement to upper management is low, and layoffs for older females disproportionately high. A few token upper management females exist, but they are generally not given key initiatives.

It was smart to replace newer, toxic president with someone that has worked his way up in the company. The new president should replace all the bad eggs hired under that old president to try and restore the company culture to what it was 10+ years ago under Salerno. High shareholder earnings are great, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of a healthy culture. Thankfully I now work for a company that has both high stock and a healthy culture.

Managemnet turns a blind eye to ethics as long as sales quotas are met.

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your lucky to get a job at a high volume airport with lots of international customers you can make good commission.

Cons

You are expected to follow a script that is so robotic but yet told to make it your own. How is that possible when I have to say at least 2 of 4 words: comfort, convenience, enjoyment or piece of mind when giving a feature of each car I recommend. Basically your provided a script to cover Avis butt in case of law suit and successful agents use their own sales tactics. Lying wasn't uncommon and management at ohare didn't care as long as sales quotes were met. If it wasn't the sales agent adding something to your bill (yes they get 5%-20%) commission on upgrades, insurance and ancillary products, Avis may hit you with a $1000 drop fee, $13.99 gas charge of you don't have gas reciept, or damage claims because we do rent damaged cars, cars well beyond maintance requirements, and known sated recalls. The commission structure is bad in that if you have 1 customer rent for 30 days and take no additional services and your next customer has a 3 day rental and takes everything you would not make a dime because commission is based on revenue divided by rental days. So if the customer looks cheap or going to say awhile suddenly every agent has to use the bathroom. Union job so there is no insentive to be helpful and no promotions to management because they would rather hire fresh college grads they can pay 35,000 and work 60hrs a week. If you have to have a job in rental car and want to move up and have solid training look at enterprise. Same shady sales tactics to get to next level but at least that next level exists.

Publically traded company so your all about the bottom line but not caring or paying a decent wage doesn't build a good brand. I was ashamed of the company everyday I went to work and felt I worked for thieves that promoted shady business practices.

11. Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good place to start

Cons

Schedule is based on seniority. Work outside at times