Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.3

Avis Budget Group CEO Ron Nelson
Ron Nelson

Pros
  • Good benefits including sick days and paid vacation (in 16 reviews)

• It's a Union location and there is great benefits because of the Union (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does NOT listen or care about the workforce (in 23 reviews)

• long hours with no overtime, bad weather means flight delays (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

The moon and the stars promised, nothing delivered.

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to know a lot about customers and vehicles. You're taught how to sell and given feedback about it.

Cons

Payroll does not send your check on time. Your last check, isn't sent, at all, you have to call HR and fight them for your hard earned money. They don't tell you that both your hourly and commissions are heavily taxed. Working 50+ hours per week, I was only making $8 an hour, in a really stressful environment. We were terribly understaffed and had to handle long lines of frustrated customers while trying to sell them different products. Not a good gig.

Hire more people. Hire more people. Don't take advantage of the employees. Tell your employees that ethics are important but they rarely come into play at work, so leave your values at home.

Make money, be prepared to lie

Former Employee - Counter Sales Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Counter Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Money, fun, money, friends, money

Cons

Management, moral emptiness, shady co-workers, backstabbing managers

Keep around the good ones, get rid of the bad

Great Family/Work life

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst Level II  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst Level II in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are Fair and the benefits are decentt. The work/home life is great. They really value family and family time. They have flex hours in the summer to get home to the family. They have floating holidays and let you leave early the day before a holiday.

Cons

Training was almost non existent. The salary is on the lower end compared to other companies. They lack support for growth in certain areas. We have the ability to work from home, however they do not allow it unless it benefits them (like working after hours or on weekends)

Management generally has good communication with employees, certain areas in the company do not promote growth within the company. The company in certain departments has a high turnover rate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Rental Sales Agent Training At Counter

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent

Pros

Benefits

Large blocks of slow periods at my location.

I am single, so I don't mind working weekends, holidays, odd shifts.

Due to my previous work history, there is ample room for advancement.

Cons

Operations managers are nice but do not perform some of their duties to adequate levels. For example:

They don't train the rental sales agents at the counter, despite the fact that it is their policy to do so.

Poor/slow resupply of smaller vehicles from the cleaning department, and slow shuttle drivers. How many shuttle drivers does it take to change a light bulb?

I accepted and even embraced their upselling and selling of add-on products. However, when we have a longer rental period from a customer, such as 3 weeks, with no upsell or add-ons, it drags our average down.

If we don't meet sales expectations, we can be let go. Maybe they should place less weight on these longer rentals as it pertains to our average. This is the reason I will not recommend this company to friends.

Accountability for ops managers on above. These are not difficult components to manage, but there isn't a mechanism to double check that they are performing these duties.

My location has several employees that have been here for more than 10 years. They catch/fix some of these problems. The portion that fall through this line of defense result in service failures to the customers.

Replace the antique DOS reservation system LOL.

Company is ever-changing, which is a good thing, but has been challenged to see things through before acting.

Former Employee - Corporate Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom to manage my workday the way I saw fit. As long as you are performing, they give you a longer leash typically.

Cons

Follow through on strategy and not enough sales training courses. More recognition and positive reinforcement needed. Budget truck rental is poorly run and deserves better as the cash cow of this organization. Overaged fleet with poor customer service.

"Live in the moment" more and really celebrate the victories. Don't just ring a bell.

Good Company to start as carrier, but not easy to grow.

Current Employee - Database Analyst  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Work Culture
    -Compensation
    -Benefits - 401K, Vacations
    - Flexible timings based on the group one works.

Cons

- Conservative in terms of spending expenses for Technology.
    - Growth rate is low.
    - Lots of oldies holding the senior position.
    - Reviews and Goals are just formalities.

- Management need to focus in Promoting the youngsters and give them chance.

Excited to be part of the group!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The high employee retention rate and opportunity for growth within the company was what initially peaked my interest. It was apparent that Avis Budget Group values and supports the advancement of their employees. As for the culture, I experienced it first hand during my initial visit to headquarters; everyone greeted me with a smile and appeared genuinely happy to be there. That spoke volumes to me!

Cons

I have not experienced any challenges up to this point.

Great stable company, outstanding benefits and advancement to grow!

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You gain "corporate" knowledge in a family atmosphere. High expectations are set for each person so it's not the job for the lazy. Benefits and incentive plans are fantastic. I enjoy the constant challenges and everyday learning, never a dull moment! Love working for ABG!

Cons

Some management are strechted to thin, communication needs improvement. Unions are horrible, taking employees money for no reason.

Keep up the recognition with all employees!

Choose ABG and you'll be happy you did (I should've quit "the other guys" sooner, I'm happy I finally did)

Current Employee - Service Agent, Detail Agent  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Service Agent, Detail Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many others say---as a company---that they always consider their people before their profit margin, or even say that production quality is more important than quantity. After working here for four weeks, it appears to me that the safety and satisfaction of employees and customers are actually the first consideration of Avis Budget Group. I have also witnessed (as Service Agent and Detail Agent) that quality always trumps quantity. It is a pleasure to work with people who enjoy coming to work and who don't bemoan either the day's new challenges or the month's old routines. I like working at ABG and plan to stay here for years.

Cons

There is a language barrier with most of my co-workers. I like that there are so many different cultures working in one place, but at times it can be a challenge to make myself understood/understand them.

Lose the ugly rubber floor mats! Sure, it saves the company hundreds of dollars per car when it comes time to sell but "the other guys" cars look nicer. The mats definitely lower ABG's "curb appeal".

Glad I joined the team

Current Employee - Shuttle Driver  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Shuttle Driver in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy the work. The team with which I work is open and ready to lend a hand or to help learn the processes. When mistakes are made, they first let the person know that he isn't the first one to have erred, and then they give good advice on what to do the next time. Most of all, I like the fast-pace work and working with people with whom I have much in common.

Cons

Could have better pay scale

Worked for Avis Budget Group? Contribute to the Community!