Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
627 reviews filtered by

Low salary and really uninspiring, insincere management

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to get into so an easy resume builder. Good training opportunities - if you take the time to pursue them yourself and convince your manager to reimburse. Depending on your manager, lots of opportunities to learn and try new things. 35 hour work week.

Cons

Sketchy management practices overall. Most managers will will say one thing but do another which results in low morale and trust. But leadership team has recently changed - again - so perhaps this will slowly change too as it was a "trickle-down" effect from one bad seed in upper management who has since been replaced. Q4 usually sees layoffs at HQ (last 5-6 years) so employees constantly waiting to see if this year is their turn. To meet their numbers, management will make up performance "issues" out of the blue to try and get higher salaried people to resign (without severance) so they can hire a lower paid replacement. Old school - like your Grandfather or Dad's "good old boys" company culture. Female advancement to upper management is low, and layoffs for older females disproportionately high. A few token upper management females exist, but they are generally not given key initiatives.

Advice to Management

It was smart to replace newer, toxic president with someone that has worked his way up in the company. The new president should replace all the bad eggs hired under that old president to try and restore the company culture to what it was 10+ years ago under Salerno. High shareholder earnings are great, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of a healthy culture. Thankfully I now work for a company that has both high stock and a healthy culture.

Managemnet turns a blind eye to ethics as long as sales quotas are met.

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your lucky to get a job at a high volume airport with lots of international customers you can make good commission.

Cons

You are expected to follow a script that is so robotic but yet told to make it your own. How is that possible when I have to say at least 2 of 4 words: comfort, convenience, enjoyment or piece of mind when giving a feature of each car I recommend. Basically your provided a script to cover Avis butt in case of law suit and successful agents use their own sales tactics. Lying wasn't uncommon and management at ohare didn't care as long as sales quotes were met. If it wasn't the sales agent adding something to your bill (yes they get 5%-20%) commission on upgrades, insurance and ancillary products, Avis may hit you with a $1000 drop fee, $13.99 gas charge of you don't have gas reciept, or damage claims because we do rent damaged cars, cars well beyond maintance requirements, and known sated recalls. The commission structure is bad in that if you have 1 customer rent for 30 days and take no additional services and your next customer has a 3 day rental and takes everything you would not make a dime because commission is based on revenue divided by rental days. So if the customer looks cheap or going to say awhile suddenly every agent has to use the bathroom. Union job so there is no insentive to be helpful and no promotions to management because they would rather hire fresh college grads they can pay 35,000 and work 60hrs a week. If you have to have a job in rental car and want to move up and have solid training look at enterprise. Same shady sales tactics to get to next level but at least that next level exists.

Advice to Management

Publically traded company so your all about the bottom line but not caring or paying a decent wage doesn't build a good brand. I was ashamed of the company everyday I went to work and felt I worked for thieves that promoted shady business practices.

3. Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good place to start

Cons

Schedule is based on seniority. Work outside at times

5. Great company

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I retired 2 days previous from a 39 year career on a Sunday and began my new career at Avis/Budget on Monday. I was immediately accepted and felt accepted. As a former educator, I was impressed with the amount of acceptance and training I was given.

Cons

I have not witnessed any negative situations.

Love this place

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

Opportunity to grow, very receptive upper management, positive outlook, fantastic benefits, company car, the ability to make a change

Cons

Dealing with old management that needs to be replaced because they are lazy

Advice to Management

Don't settle on hiring someone as a manager if they don't have the personality for it. They need to be a manager and a leader. Don't settle.

Agency Operator

I worked at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Interaction with customers is a great part of the job

Cons

Never enough cars to be able to fulfill customer demand. Agency Operators are left to fend for themselves with no support.

Advice to Management

Figure out fleet.

Highly Unethical

Former Employee - Claims
    Former Employee - Claims

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible when it comes to personal matters (dr apps etc.....).

Cons

Human Resources has no inclination what they're doing. Theyll do something and then lie about doing it. Managers can get away with whatever they please as they lie as well. Pay is way below industry standard (yet ABG thinks they're up there with the best of them-delusional)

Advice to Management

Adopt some ethics and act like adults/professionals. Stop telling lies,, you aren't fooling anybody.

9. Great part time job while getting through college

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Good hours and decent pay

Cons

Old systems and old technology

Advice to Management

The pos system needs updated

10. Helpful managers that are always available.

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

I chose to work at Avis Budget group because it is a well known company that I feel proud to be part of.

Cons

Benefits are only available for certain full time positions. Many jobs are only part time positions.

The worst place I have ever worked!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Health insurance is not too expensive.

Cons

Low pay, micromanagement by the supervisors, they hire anyone just to fill seats. They have an attendance policy that you get fired if you take a day off even if you have paid time or vacation days. They hot you with what they call "occurrences" if you dare take off. Their inclimate weather policy is basically you get fired if you don't come in.

Advice to Management

Maybe treat people like adults and have a more compassionate attendance policy. Take some cues from Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group and Enterprise. Treat your employees with respect and turnover would not be so high!