Avista Utilities

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis P. Vermillion

Great team!

C# Developer (Current Employee)
Spokane, WA

I have been working at Avista Utilities as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery talented team of developers. Great to work with.

ConsShort contract length. Need to keep people who have knowledge of the very complex system that is being maintained and improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talent that has knowledge of proprietary system.

Not my cup of tea

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Spokane, WA

I worked at Avista Utilities full-time for more than a year

ProsConvenient as the largest employer in Spokane. Great employees to work with. Pay was above average. Nice facilities. Buget seemed more than adequate to release the product designed, developed and implemeted...

ConsBack ass-words with new technologies and the right approach to new solutions. Ship dates are a higher priority than releasing the best product for both internal business and external customers. Very political atmosphere. If political games aren't played the better employees are let go

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Customer Service

I have been working at Avista Utilities full-time

ProsGood benefits including a pension plan. There are great people employed with Avista, so you have have wonderful co-workers, and the job has a great impact to and on our local communities, so you can make a difference.

ConsSome of the managers can be inconsistent with others. Policies can also be somewhat open to interpretation/gray and feedback and disciplinary actions inconsistent throughout. Many times, employees who have family members working at the company will see more opportunities, so fairness is sometimes at question.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity should never be compromised and management should maintain consistency in regards to disciplinary actions. Managers should post for positions and opportunities rather than just giving opportunities out without posting. This can cause (real or perceived) concern about management's integrity and cause a break in trust.

Great learning opportunity

I have been working at Avista Utilities

ProsGreat people to work with
Flexibility
Interns are respected

ConsMonopoly-slow moving and not super innovative

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate more play politics less

Not a good place to work if looking for career advancements

Hydro Operator (Former Employee)

I worked at Avista Utilities full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay,retirement(if hired before march of 2011),

ConsToo many corporate morons, No room to move up unless your a brown noser or family member, unfair treatment, Stuck in the past(needs to be more innovative), Incredibly difficult to move up(once again), Management needs to learn how to MANAGE!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you quit hiring 3 corporate employees to every 1 union member you might have a chance at success. Oh, and don't lay off your 6+ year employees that take temporary jobs inside the company to try and better their lives if that temporary job dosen't turn permanent, pathetic

Antiquated management practices stifle innovation and efficiency.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avista Utilities full-time

ProsGreat benefits, non-management employees are hard working and dedicated. Lots of very smart people. The product provided - power - is a worthwhile endeavor.

ConsFeels as though the company is stuck in the 1950's. The industry is so regulated, and management is so risk averse that little can be accomplished in any reasonable time frame.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some courage, set a vision and then stick to it.

Avista for life!

I have been working at Avista Utilities

ProsAvista offers several types of job opportunities. Anyone could find something they love, and you'll want to stay forever!

ConsBecause it's big company, it's a challenge to get a good grasp of what all the different departments do.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue looking to your lower-level employees for great ideas on process improvements, and don't forget about them!

Worked for Avista Utilities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avista Utilities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avista Utilities CEO Dennis P. Vermillion. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Avista Utilities employees.