Aviva

Aviva Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Pros
  • Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises(in 5 reviews)

• It used to be a good company but no longer today(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees(in 4 reviews)

• In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding(in 3 reviews)

Very fast growing, but unorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsThey're growing, and fast, especially in IT. They're hiring a lot of people right now, and I believe with their growth rate, there will be a lot of opportunity to move up as you become more senior over your peers.

ConsThere seems to be some disconnect with senior management, but otherwise managers are helpful, and let you balance your work with your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the jokes at work was the lack of training. I've never gone into a job where there was almost no training program what-so-ever. Coworkers were helpful, but for a company of this size, I was blown away by the lack of on-boarding.

Aviva

Vice President Sales (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsGood Company, efforts made to keep good associates.

ConsCan be distracting, competing priorities

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, focus on core competencies

Comfortable Employer

ProsGood people, good values, providing a real, tangible, beneficial service to society in general and to our customers. With our new CEO and upgraded board members, we're seeing a massive over-haul of strategy, focus on customers, investors, people and a clear understanding of the direction of travel in line with techno-societal developments.

ConsThere remains a significant amount of old-boy politics where people have risen to positions within the company without either the necessary knowledge and talent or the capability to serve the role through gravitas and industry peer recognition. These people remain responsible for the lack of investment in staff development and hence operational inefficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the full line management down to at least E-level to determine whether the strategic messages and initiatives are actually being embedded and gaining ground, and where this is not the case, take remedial action on those senior managers who are failing in their duty to staff, their role, their company, their customers and their investors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over-run by consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good and capable people.

ConsRelied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage of your convictions.

Good company that provides great opportunities for its people to develop and grow.

Marketing Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, and good opportunities to develop and travel internationally.

ConsNo cons from me. Aviva is a great place to work for that can be challenging, but always rewarding.

Very Good Employer

ProsGood work life balance. Opportunities to learn. Exposure to Asia region. Lot of benefits.

ConsHigh bureaucracy. Less training and remuneration. Low remuneration compared to market range. All benefits goes to permanent employee only.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair to everyone

Great working culture and people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood consistent training and workshops; friendly people (esp at headquarters) and management; open international culture

ConsSeemed to be some preference for expats compared to locals; some managers did not seem to value and provide career growth opportunities for locals compared to the expats from home country in same team.

Insurance application

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to have a holistic of the Insurance Scene.

ConsMundane desk bound work, lack of personal development opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the employee.

diversity

Investment Intern (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prosenvironment friendly, good mentor and well training

Conscommunication is not very effective

Need to be resilient to cope with constant change and need to drive for development opportunities

ProsEncourages innovative thinkers. Often supportive of personal development plans. Customer at the heart of business ambition. Flexible working available if seek it out, great peer to peer support, dedicated culture.

ConsConstant restructuring, albeit this is reducing with new leadership team. Over-stretched resources working to high expectations. Slow progression as promotions usually only available when someone leaves the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to have more proactive approach to progression and development opportunities within the group.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!