Aviva

Aviva Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Pros:
  • "Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It used to be a good company but no longer today"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unstable

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsIt used to be a good company but no longer today.

ConsPoor quality of employees, too much politics, very unstable. The company does not care about its employees.

Warning

ProsNone company is not a great place to work

ConsLack of leadership and vision. Blame culture. No ownership

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul required

Corrupt and incompetent

Head of (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsNone, even the coffee machine was rubbish

ConsPopulated by white middle aged, middle class blokes devising products nobody wants to buy with unsustainable commission levels to support greedy distribution channels

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who get a senior level job with Aviva sigh with relief they will never have to put in a hard day of graft ever again.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it's disappointingf

Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee)

Prosnone ..the owner is simply a daydreamer who wants to get rich pronto

Consdelayed salaries

non pyt of gov't dues & suppkiers' accts

Unstructured Mess - Finally being straightened out?

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsFantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises.
    Has lots of potential for positive change and efficiencies. Good flexible benefits package.

ConsAt the Aviva Group Centre there is such a poor handle on HR and talent management issues. In three years I had 10 line managers, and not once did a HR representative email or talk to me about these changes.

The 6 monthly appraisal system is completely flawed and is just a tick in the box exercise. Talent Management practises strangely only are available from 'Head of' and above, which to me is completely backwards.

Recent mass redundancies made it openly apparent that the organisation is extremely politically motivated and senior management therefore are hard to trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out HR practises in AGC and don't let senior (people) managers and directors have full control on HR issues, otherwise you will find that constructive dismissal cases will start appearing.
    People managers need to be trained on how to manage people, my experience of 10 in 3 years will say that most didn't have a clue as to how to motivate, lead and manage a team.

Extremely unstructured, I feel that I wasted my summer!

Software Dev Intern (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsMentor and manager were great!

ConsFailing IT department, waterfall development is a fail-- Very unstructured intern program

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing politics..

good- bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosculture created by aviva global

Consbad management, no quality control, biased and irresponsible decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe responsible and should work for the company.

Cronyism rife

London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay and quite a good HR team at the top. They really do care for customers and all the issues facing customers. They have tied the promises they make to customers to the ones they make to employees, so things like 360-degree reviews are in place. Teams genuinely try to cross-pollinate and work together on shared problems and share the celebrations when they are due.

ConsCronyism nullifies a lot of the benefits - if you have a terrible manager, you have little chance of going anywhere except out the door.

Simply awful attitudes to men and women with young children - think hard before taking maternity or paternity leave at all, else you may find yourself replaced.

The permissions culture invades everything - novel solutions to tricky problems will not be implemented or considered. Committies make decisions in ways that cater to political and self-serving interests, not interests that benefit teams, products or employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the permissions culture, allow more autonomy and weed out the Heads and Directors that hold back the company.

Poor management, managers employes OWN friends

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsLearn how to due with problems alone.

ConsPoor management doesn't care their workforce, no work life balance, new staffs were being introduced by manager and they were come from the same company before...complicated relationships between employees. All mess and making same mistake on daily basic.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo, no one listen, no one care. Just wait until it sold their business out and leave the market once for all. If you entering this company without any relationship, you will need to know you have to work extra hard other got referral doesn't work at all and they all getting positive reviews but not you...

Over-run by consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good and capable people.

ConsRelied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage of your convictions.

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aviva reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aviva CEO Mark Wilson. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by Aviva employees.