Aviva Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.5

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Pros
  • Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises (in 5 reviews)

• It used to be a good company but no longer today (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees (in 4 reviews)

• In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fast growing, but unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Aviva

Pros

They're growing, and fast, especially in IT. They're hiring a lot of people right now, and I believe with their growth rate, there will be a lot of opportunity to move up as you become more senior over your peers.

Cons

There seems to be some disconnect with senior management, but otherwise managers are helpful, and let you balance your work with your life.

One of the jokes at work was the lack of training. I've never gone into a job where there was almost no training program what-so-ever. Coworkers were helpful, but for a company of this size, I was blown away by the lack of on-boarding.

Aviva

Current Employee - Vice President Sales  in  Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Aviva

Pros

Good Company, efforts made to keep good associates.

Cons

Can be distracting, competing priorities

Stay the course, focus on core competencies

Great work environment and team!

Former Employee - Senior Online Communications Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Online Communications Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Aviva for almost 2 and 1/2 years and simply loved it! Our team was extremely balanced in skills and responsibilities, so our contribution was quite effective and recognisable.

Cons

We had a bit of a struggle with the Group team, specially when it came to highlight the regional and local needs as opposed to the global ones.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

I have been working at Aviva

Pros

Location, job scope, team, management

Cons

The work hours can be quite long

Great company and heritage; at last recovering, but with impaired potential, from calamitous CGU / Norwich Union merger.

Former Employee - Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sincere commitment to diversity (though cliquey in parts)
    Basic pay OK / bonuses good at senior levels
    Work-life balance respected, though cuts both ways
    Friendly environment, though massive staff turnover has not helped

Cons

Endless reorganisations and changes of direction, overwhelmingly driven by financial considerations that often turn out to be cosmetic (e.g. extensive form in over-shooting budgeted one-off costs of restructuring, which turn out not to be one-off after all)
    Goes through the motions of meritocracy, but, with notable exceptions, through several transitions / reinventions at the top table, senior managers tend to be surrounded by their mates, and progression is difficult without fairly blatant patronage
    Too many consultants, often there for CYA purposes or because the group has fired people it actually needed

Given the heritage, the present position is a travesty of the historic potential, but the present team is doing a reasonable job of putting the damaged wagon back on the rails. A pity, and stretching the limits of plausibility, that the best people for the top jobs seem to be so predominantly old AIA cronies.

good company but limited career prospects at present

Current Employee - Risk  in  Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Risk in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Aviva is very easy to do work for, they are great in terms of work life balance, they pay well and you can sense that your contribution is valued.

Cons

Your face has to fit to achieve any real career progression. I joined 10 years ago and I would say the levels of loyalty in both directions do really appear to have reduced and this is no helped by some stupid decisions made at exec level over the last couple of years

CEO does really seem to be turning things around not just in the markets but in the culture of the company but he is still quite new so more needs to be done. In my view if anybody can do it he seems to be the one.

Where to start

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Aviva as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people working here are some of the nicest you will meet.

Cons

time off is never available,
    often looked down on by people from head office,
    high turnover of staff,
    not sufficient training or support,
    not able to effectively impliment a growth plan taking all areas of the business into consideration.

Hire more people and move away from the pay progression model you have

Comfortable Employer

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good people, good values, providing a real, tangible, beneficial service to society in general and to our customers. With our new CEO and upgraded board members, we're seeing a massive over-haul of strategy, focus on customers, investors, people and a clear understanding of the direction of travel in line with techno-societal developments.

Cons

There remains a significant amount of old-boy politics where people have risen to positions within the company without either the necessary knowledge and talent or the capability to serve the role through gravitas and industry peer recognition. These people remain responsible for the lack of investment in staff development and hence operational inefficiencies.

Review the full line management down to at least E-level to determine whether the strategic messages and initiatives are actually being embedded and gaining ground, and where this is not the case, take remedial action on those senior managers who are failing in their duty to staff, their role, their company, their customers and their investors.

Over-run by consultants

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

Some good and capable people.

Cons

Relied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Have the courage of your convictions.

Good company that provides great opportunities for its people to develop and grow.

Current Employee - Marketing Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people, and good opportunities to develop and travel internationally.

Cons

No cons from me. Aviva is a great place to work for that can be challenging, but always rewarding.

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!