Avocent

Be The First To
Add Photos

Avocent Chairman and CEO Emerson David N. Farr

David N. Farr

On any given day, this company is right on the edge of success ...

Director Product Management (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsWell chosen marketplace with a management team that has good possibilities. Pay and benefits are decent, quality of life is good, overall a great place to grow with.

ConsThe forward marching orders are not equally delivered or adopted at all levels of the organization - some staff continues to work on yesterdays issues while others are over-focused on preserving their individual siloed empires.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider MBW (Management by Walking around). The periodic "All Hands Calls" are good, but a few well placed on-site visits to mid-level management and execution level staff could help invigorate the teams and get them moving more effectively. Specifically Steve Hassell (Avocent President) is an excellent ambassador to communicate with the team, pragmatic but evocative of the vision and our mission.

Emerson is a little controlling. There are some really good people, but also a lot of dead weight.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, and some really good people

ConsReally uptight, not difficult to get in trouble from Emerson.

Employees/Technology are GREAT

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent people/products and great environment to work at pre-emerson. The acquisition by Emerson now gives Avocent an upper-hand in marketing funds/sales strategy combining it with the Liebert product line. ESPP program was great (pre-emerson)

ConsBought by Emerson which grew the company huge which its missing the Avocent image/brand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsHorrible management and organization. People try to hide system from co-workers. Developers are second class citizens, designers are the most important.

ConsGood location, close to my place.

Corporate acquisition gone bad.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsGood pay, good work facility.

ConsRuined business model: Emerson Network Power bought a very profitably enterprise. Refocused it on Trellis and ignored the core business. Sales have plummeted. People are laid off, sales plummet further, more people gone... And no coherent plan to stop the process. Very very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it is, unfortunately, too late for any advice. Avocent needs to find its way back to a growing business. Not sure Trellis, at the current level of investment, will get there.

Software Developer

Software Developer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsReally couldn't think anything good.

ConsToo many. Avoid working at this place.

The Motivation Killer.

Technical Support Supervisor (Former Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsThe people doing the day to day work are doing the best they can and really do there best to help each other out.

ConsAs an Emerson company the benefits plans have been lowered. No employee stock purchase plan, health care benefits were lowered and then the price was raised. As people leave they are not replaced, which increases the workload for the rest. Upper management from Emerson has the attitude if you don't like then go some were else, although they do say they want to make it a better place to work. For those reading this is a place for a job not a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running this like a factory instead of hi-tech company. Your biggest assets are your employees. If they are not happy and do not have a sense of pride for being an Emerson/Avocent employee they will only produce low quality product and you will never get to your $1 billion goal. In other words take care of your employees and customers, the money will follow.

No longer a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsStrong engineering team
    Strong sales engineers
    Decent salaries and stock available to top 10% of performers as a bonus

ConsEngineering team has lost motivation and drive
    Weak, non-technical Sales people who barely under what the product does
    Weak and indecisive mid-to upper management
    Emerson purchase

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit fencing sitting on the tough decisions. Also stop sugarcoating and telling people what they want to hear but no real data or facts. If the economy picks up it will be hard to retain the existing talent given the circumstances of the last 2 years.

Good smart and talented co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou learn allot and work on cutting edge stuff

ConsManagement can seem rough and lack soft skills

senior engerneer

Senior Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) Taipei (Taiwan)

Prosfree time to working hour

Consbad management and promotion path

Worked for Avocent? Contribute to the Community!