Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• Freedom to work from home as needed(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for(in 20 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around(in 27 reviews)

Okay. Made the same amount of money in a position even if the other person did a poor job.

Order Processor (Former Employee) Newark, DE

ProsMost of the associates were like family.

ConsHard to get day off, especially when really, really need it for a reason and even if it is months away.

administrator

Administrator (Former Employee) Mayaguez, PR

Prosis an employer that offers many opportunities for growth

Consbasically it is a good employer

Long, unpaid and obviously dishonest director

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) Boiling Springs, Spartanburg, SC

ProsFlexible hours ability to meet many new people

ConsWork Many hours that you do not get paid for. No benefits, no work life balance if you plan on making any money. Allllot of my money spend building "MY" business and customers for nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was told when I recruited "x" # of recruits under me I would receive a % of every sale they made. I worked my tail off to do just that. My director also had a quota to make and she was short this month... She put all 6 of my recruits under HER! She took my recruits for her slack month and gave me some BS excuse. I have never touched another Avon product since this day!,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

60-70 Work week, No family balance!

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat Benefits package inclusing company car, laptop, gas card.

Cons60-70 Work week not including weekedns. Corp relies to much on Leadership then everything falls on the DSM.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't rely on the Leadership Reps. They scam you of the bonus and prizes. Start paying attention to your top sellers. This company is first a sales company. Stop pushing the Hispanic areas to grow business. Latinos strive to have a better life once they get to the US and so Avon is not on their top list. Latinos selling Avon in Central amerca strive to hit a goal to earn what they need for their families. Here in the US they can't sell much since the Gov't will take away their "gold cards" or other gov't benefits if they make too much income.

Time spent here, 25% awesome, 10% tolerable, 65% absolute nightmare.

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of history, great products, fantastic lower level management team, most of which are very caring.

ConsMost of those writing on here are representatives, not actual employees. As a "LONG TERM" employee I loved my job, but then the caring senior and mid level managers that had for many years helped build and mold this company were forced out and a new breed moved in, tyrannical uncaring managers with EGO's the size of Mount Rushmore became the norm!! There was never a break, do it now and do it my way or else leave was the new way, no balance of home or work life with mid and senior management hounding you day and night, 7 days a week, even when on vacation you were expected to be on the weekly, or bi -weekly disparaging phone conferences, it felt like one had eaten razor blades for breakfast most days. I personally was never permitted to take my fully accumulated vacation allowance times together, and almost every year was "ENCOURAGED" to cancel my vacation. Management is still extremely oppressive here, or so I'm told by those I left behind, it's a threatening culture, no support from HR, even when the threats and mistreatment are documented and substantiated by others. There is no defense against the kind of abuse received by upper and mid level supervisory staff, many sleepless nights, and stressful home-lives are created by these awful people. Many excellent managers that reported the abuse were canned and lessor kissers were kept on. Company values look great on paper, but as every manager their knows that's as far as they get, saying all of that I'll reiterate, the lower level management team are an amazing caring bunch, so much talent, sadly wasted on this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've heard it all before, over and over again, it just falls on deaf ears, you just don't care enough to reign these tyrants in, most of you don't stay around long enough to care! Your DSM's are your life blood, time you started looking after them.

Good Intention <> Success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are viewed with regard, in general. Benefits are good. Exposure to significant technology and process is available if there is a willingness to relocate.

ConsLack of vision at the Executive Level, consistently poor decision making, refusal to recognize decline and accept the reasons for that decline, consistent effort by middle and upper management break inertial patterns, inappropriate emphasis on HR as a market differentiator, and adherence to a rigid business model are a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing the company like it was your beloved grandmother. Profits sustain good will not the other way around.

The good the bad and the ugly.

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility of hours. Great relationship building and gfrowth in leadership skills. Variety of workload allows for personal growth of skills.

ConsNo compensation for salaried employees working 60-70 hours a week. Also, verey little opportunity for advancement. Salary not commensurate with job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Decisions are made without feedback from those in the field who are closest to issues, challenges and opportunities. More concentration on improving operations issues. Staff diminishing due to basic service challenges and field is expected to "smooth" these challenges over. Company in denial that the model is prehistoric in this economy.

Avon, overall, is a good company. Unfortunately, NY Management & consultants leading them in wrong direction!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat products, employee discount, most employees love the company and the work they do. Great benefits & paid time off (if you are able to take it)

ConsStrong history of promoting individuals based on friendships/likability vs. skills necessary to do job. Going through restructuring for almost 10 years and no signs of solid footing. Continues to job eliminate the "worker bee's", in order to meet budgets, without reevaluating Top Management Salaries/Bonuses. Remaining support staff overworked/stressed due to continued job eliminations. True love of Avon and what we stand for is gone. Now we only care about the bottom line.. $$$

Advice to Senior ManagementTry growing the company from the bottom up -- not from the top down. There are too many managers and not enough staff to get the work done. All the managers are on conference call and in meetings all day. What about executing business objectives? We are not Tupperware - stop trying to run the business like we are. Avon non-managerial Staff and District Managers are just as important as Representatives. We have a lot vested in the company and want to see growth, but Sr. Management only interested in what the quarterly numbers look like to the investors, thus more job eliminations.

Lots of changes disengage both old and new associates

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSheri tries to elevate the "one team one Avon" spirit, but with the company going through so many core issues, it is not fulfilling our expectations

ConsConstant change of priorities, workload is more than high (I am what they consider "high potential" and I cannot keep up with all the requests)

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the changes should be evaluated deeply before cascading to the teams, disengagement is to the roof now and you MUST reduce the workload.

Representatives do not get paid enough

Team Leader (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

Prosworking for yourself not really having a boss

Conspeople screwing the representatives out of money

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!