Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• Freedom to work from home as needed(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for(in 20 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around(in 27 reviews)

Not moving in the right direction.

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company has many wonderful benefits for their District Sales Managers; great salary, company car with insurance and maintenance, cell phone, computer, internet access, fabulous insurance, 401K and profit sharing. Their core product selection of beauty and personal care items is top quality. (The same cannot be said about their non-core products.) The Avon Foundation does wonderful work for causes that affect women.

ConsThe pressure to achieve sales numbers with zero input on the programs or methods to accomplish the task is extremely frustrating. The company has pre-fabricated sales programs that don't make much sense in today's economy, yet when the programs fail, the District Sales Managers are held accountable. This makes it difficult to be a stand-out manager, as what makes you better than the rest isn't part of the "program". Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for. The company rewards Regional and Area Managers who achieve numbers, regardless of the methods they use to achieve numbers. On the surface Avon appears to be constantly "updating" their sales model, which, in truth, is normally a cleaver disguise to pay Representatives less money to sell their products.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter nearly 11 years of success as a District Sales Manager with this company I left of my own free will. The company is moving in the wrong direction. Eliminate all of the fluff and get back to basics. Representatives come to Avon to make money, not to win awards. You will continue to lose Representatives and money until your sales opportunity becomes a money-making business for Representatives again.

The worst job I ever had

Chemist (Former Employee) Suffern, NY

ProsNice people who would love to help.

ConsConstant abusive from upper management in respect to Temporary employees. Following orders and not ever questioned them. Working tight place with another temp, both using balance at the same time etc. Asking to move to empty space available next to them( nobody won't be occupied long time), they denied our petition with an irrational excuse. Most of time the manager was behind our back when we was working... Horrible place to work!!!. I left in 2 weeks, for me it was 10 years. According to my friend, the other temp stayed for not so long...
    Past temps left with same issue .

Advice to Senior ManagementTemps are human beings and treating accordingly. On the phone interview, Nobody mentioned me of the mentally abuse.

Has great potential, but does not have vision to make it happen. Competitors are eating their lunch.

ProsCompany based on relationships with balance of work and family.

ConsCompany based on relationships so very less accountability, and works on fire fighting mentality, hence takes too long time to make a change, if at all it happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around from within and there are many hidden talents that can make it happen for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downward Spiral

Processing (Current Employee) Morton Grove, IL

ProsDecent Pay. Lots of paid time off. Pretty good benefits. Most of the time, bosses don't micro manage employees. Good co-workers, so long as you stick to the right ones, instead of jerks

ConsOverbearing bosses, make rude distasteful remarks. Definitley a good ol' boys kind of place. Fairly sexist environment. A lot of bosses are engineers, and think only engineers are worthy of managing the place, over even people who study "gasp", business management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up. Let employees do their jobs. Most of them work very hard, and do a good job of it.

Great for Women

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule. Great relationships are built with the community and the representatives. Benefits are good, for example the company car. They really invest well into their employees.

ConsLots of changes to keep up with...confuses team members and undo stress. Unrealistic expectations set with not enough salary to compensate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan long enough for it to actually work and remember that your representatives are GOLD...without them you are nothing.

overall it's good

Prosevery close working relationship, team working to help each other to achieve their goals and follow the defined project management process

Consold technology. not able to catch up with the latest development. no aggressively attach the existing isseus

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Sales Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking for yourself, flexible schedule, great products, working with amazing women that each have a unique story

ConsCommission only, over saturated market, prove if business supplies, shipping and bags can add up quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your District Sales managers credit for all the hard work they put in day and day out

I work there for 5 years, I loved it! Lots to learn and share.

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsOpportunity to network and mentor others.

ConsToo many changes and unfair compensation for the hours worked. Bonus are hard to get!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease define a compensation plan for representatives and keep it so Managers can achieve goals and stay longer making good income.

High school all over again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe area was nice and there were some nice people

Consbullying and poor management. I could not believe grown people to act so childish and get away with half of the things they got away with.

Difficult company to work with.

ProsStrong brand, good products and nice sales representatives.

ConsI've put an order in 3 times and put money on account and still can't get produces. I'm returning money taken by customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReveiw you systems-I can only put $1000 on account in your system but you want an additional $488 which it won't accept. Nobody seems concerned about this. I've had orders for 3 weeks I can't fill. Last order I was extended $850 credit limit which was paid and now I can't get product??

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!