Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance if you are in the Rye office"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home, work directly with people or online"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful company and culture to work for. Any one will be enjoyed working in this company it is a global company.

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than a year

ProsIts culture and people are simply great

ConsManagement lacks forecasting and long term goals

Advice to Senior Managementto inculcate more responsible when dealing with long term costly projects in terms of employee and organizational benfits

Not worth the commission!

Apple Valley, CA

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than a year

ProsCreating your own work hours

ConsReceived High sales and low commission

A top-notch beauty product company who cares about women. Every Avon product is affordable and easily accessible.

Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule, constantly meet new people, fun events, promotes women's independence, advocates for domestic violence and cancer prevention.

ConsFrequent campaigns - every 2 weeks, constantly have to buy campaign brochures, too many types of brochures. Overwhelming for consumers and reps. Reps throw away lots of free and paid for brochures.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule campaigns monthly and provide reps with first 10 brochures for free for each campaign. Don't have so many little junkie brochures - waste of money. Have one main brochure and one outlet brochure to encompass all products.

Interesting, fun, and exciting experience, but not ideal for me in the long-run.

Salem, OR

I worked at Avon Products as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat support and guidance if you happen to get in on the right team. Opportunity to make good money and bonuses if you work hard enough and are good at being social or good at sales, and managing a team.

ConsSelling door-to-door which seems to irritate many residents, thus, it's a challenge to get customers but not impossible. Having to figure out taxes/business expenses. Business expenses such as gas (to distribute brochures and orders, go to optional meetings/trainings, etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with new ideas and more creative ways for Independent Sales Representatives to prospect and sell to customers. Door-to-door is not working in today's world. Keep up the bonuses and incentives!

Not good.

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get good discounts for things you want to buy yourself. You may meet new people.

ConsYou need to pay for everything, that includes the books you hand out and the free samples you give away. If you want to get your name out, you need to buy lots of books and samples. many people just like to look at the books and never buy anything. You lose a lot of money that way. The books aren't cheap and neither are the samples.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the books to the sellers for free. Give out some free samples to the sellers. Sellers can't put a price on samles.

Very good experience in my time working there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products

ProsGreat people to work with. Salaries are comparable in the industry. Enjoyed my time working there. Good life to work experience.

ConsCorporate congestion. Hard to change the old ways. Political management. No upward mobility. Management needs to keep with the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the associates ideas and views. Better review process of individuals. Need to keep the better employees by rewarding them.

Feel good about what your company represents...

Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIncredible philanthropic commitment to empower women around the world. Raises endless funds for breast cancer research, ending domestic violence, etc.
Management listens, focused on employee satisfaction, and people are passionate about the brand and products.

ConsExecutives don't listen, have no vision forward, and continue to execute the same failing strategies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Not a good experience

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Brookhaven, NY

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than a year

ProsNone I can remember other then being able to work from my home

Cons- Poor upper management
- 24/7 Work week
- Bonuses dangled in front of the managers but impossible to obtain
- Representatives very mean and would presonally attack
- Was physically threatened by a representative and when reported to inside management, along with the legal department nothing was done
- Harrassed by my Divisional Manager and a fellow male District Manager - I didnt file complaint because of know they would do nothing
- Felt exposed to representatives because they could look up where I lived - not protected like a regular employee that work in the corporate offices
- Fellow district managers very mean, cut throat and bunch of snakes
- When redisticting was done my district was disolved and assigned to a new one where representatives, mostly the top leadership, made it their business to personally attack and destroy

Advice to Senior ManagementI am glad I left the company!!! It was the worst experince work wise I have ever had.

A legacy company with great people to work with.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people that care about one another.
Great products.

ConsStruggling financially.
Direct selling good but speed of delivery is being hurt by web sales.
Old systems not able to keep up with new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade systems. You can't kept cutting costs to become profitable. At some point need to bring in sales to get growth. Stop tying the hands of sales force and changing their priorities every week.

Extremely positive, enjoyable sales position

San Diego, CA

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than 8 years

Prossatisfying house bound citizens who cannot shop at malls

Conslack of payments by customers after products are received

Advice to Senior Managementmore information needed on acceptance of credit cards for purchases

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All 411 reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.