Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros:
  • "The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home, work directly with people or online"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for"
    in 18 reviews
  • "First of all, you don't make any money at all unless you place an order that is over"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, people, benefits ... shrinking brand value!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, friendly work environment especially for us women. A chance to help other women achieve their goals of being independent. Great support for causes affecting women.

ConsLots of long timers which can be a bad thing sometimes as these are the people that will be promoted first versus the newer ones. You have to wait in line for your turn and that could be several years. Too many wrong macro level business decisions over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and their careers. Stay focused and committed on one path rather than a sea of changes.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hard to get big in the company.

ProsFast to learn Easy to make money

ConsOnly successful if you know alot of people.

Works for some

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMake money on your own time.
    Online access to upcoming products, sales, promotions, etc.
    Nice discount.
    I actually really enjoy a lot of these products and prices.

ConsLike you'd imagine, it's hard getting started. The rep who hired me talked to me once in two years, and then when I left she began emailing me to rejoin (so she could get a bonus). Her only interest in me seemed to be that I'd add to her pool of money.

Seems like most customers are elderly and will haggle and negotiate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with the reps under you. Give them a customer or two to get started. Offer them some samples to use. Don't look at reps under you as just sources of income.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inexperienced leadership

New York, NY

Prosvery flexible work schedules for work/balance

Conslack of expertise in key leadership roles

Advice to Senior Managementseek outside guidance and support for best practice policies

They built a house without building the foundation; company in midst of transition though

Global Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI worked in global marketing and believe the culture at Avon is the biggest pro -- people are genuinely nice, smart, hardworking but fun, and I created a lot of true friendships during my time working there. The quality of product development is quite good, and the pace of innovation means you get a ton of experience quickly across a lot of products and a lot of creative development. The global experience is also very strong -- there are no other NY based beauty companies with the majority of their business being sold in countries like Brazil & Russia. It's an iconic brand to work on and has an incredible global heritage.

ConsThe company grew so quickly under Andrea Jung's leadership, but a foundation was never built to carry the larger size. Despite being a $13B company it is still run as an entrepreneurial venture in a lot of ways. The pace of innovation and the ability to launch or discontinue items at any time (unlike the two sales windows available with mainstream US retailers) sets the stage for a lack of commitment to launches, which means swirl and rework ongoing. During my four years there the level of decision making that happened within mid/low levels vs senior management differed based on my manager at the time, so I don't think there's consistency there. Beyond some of these operational issues, obviously there are barriers to direct selling being a successful business model in western markets in general. Big hill to overcome. With all that said, there is new leadership running the company over the last 1 1/2-2 years and I have hope that they will force positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your core high margin, profitable products and drop the gimmicks (cheap fashion, halloween decorations, generic tupperware, etc); along with that you may be able to drop your lowest performing sales representatives and increase company value and customer service.

Best place to work

Associate Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFamily life and work life balance

ConsDisorganized management, needs improvement in management

Run away, don't give up your life to be a District Sales Manager aka the fall guys

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

Prossome ability to make your own schedule. meeting wonderful people and helping to change lives. car is a perk. good benefits

Consmanagement is clueless. a lot of unfair tactics go on here. you can work your butt off but if you don't kiss enough of them you will not last long. You can be fired even if you are in the top third of your division. Others will stay because they are liked. Very unfair treatment in this supposedly professional company. You will work long hrs 7 days a week for very little money or respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating managers like children in school. Give the respect you expect in return. Appreciate our hard work. Stop playing favorites. Get a grip , the leadership you have will never be self starters, they throw what they don't want to do at the managers and the managers are paid to do it. Let go of the managers and good luck staying a float.

Love Avon!

ProsAVON has great products with reasonable pricing; it practically sells itself. There is a product for everyone. The Mark line is very trendy and has unique items. Avon is more than just make up and skin care.

ConsMany times products are not available for order even though they are advertised in the catalog. Items are also discontinued often. For example: a client will fall in love with a perfume and then it's not offered any longer. This happens ALOT.

Does not invest in employees!

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance if you are in the Rye office.

ConsNo long term strategy. The company is not sure how to really make the representative experience better globally. Employees have such poor management that they don't remember the purpose of the company.

Cronyism - Executives in positions based on friendship and not ability. Therefore departments are run ineffectively and very politically.

There is not an internal skill training program for employees. Therefore, most don't really know how to do the job. However, people work really hard to skill achieve objectives. No new job training + competitive objectives = poor execution.

Avon's cultures and values are not upheld by Senior leadership or HR. The company has huge problems with workplace bullying and does not address it.

Bullying examples include, but are not limited to: purposeful exclusion from team meetings/activities, consistently taking credit for your work, sabotaging your work, overloading you with work or taking away all of your work, purposely withholding information from you, and spreading false rumors and gossiping.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate the VP and Executive Directors that have been at Avon for a long time. A few really need to leave.

Great company, poor business plan

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    White Plains, NY

ProsGreat working environment, wonderful care of employees, great products

Consbusiness model is not workable anymore, so the company is not successful anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying and centralizing the business on Avon Representatives. Put products in stores, bolster online retail, let Avon Representatives act as fashion experts and give them a % of online sales.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All 535 reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.