Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance if you are in the Rye office"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home, work directly with people or online"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great corporate culture

Engineer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work life balance, atmosphere and coworkers. Promotion within the company is a constant norm.

ConsLots of changes within the NA region of the company. Can get a little confusing.

I had a lot of fun and the products sold themselves

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Hampton, VA

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of support, work at your own speed and pace, great discounts, ongoing training available

ConsLow profit margins. When I signed up for Avon, it was "under" any representative; I just came in off the street and signed up. I wasn't really interested in doing the whole "level" thing of recruiting people and bringing people in, I just wanted to get a discount on the products and sell to my friends. This worked great for a few years but then they assigned me to someone and that's when the pressure started. All of sudden I was being encouraged to trick people into coming to recruiting "parties" and because my sales were kinda high I was being called constantly trying to get me more into recruiting. It took all the fun out of it for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Avon is a great company and it is what you make of it....I think management has been consistently on the right track. The cons that I listed above were personal to me; overall I think its a great company to work for and you can have tremendous potential.

Not moving in the right direction.

Houston, TX

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has many wonderful benefits for their District Sales Managers; great salary, company car with insurance and maintenance, cell phone, computer, internet access, fabulous insurance, 401K and profit sharing. Their core product selection of beauty and personal care items is top quality. (The same cannot be said about their non-core products.) The Avon Foundation does wonderful work for causes that affect women.

ConsThe pressure to achieve sales numbers with zero input on the programs or methods to accomplish the task is extremely frustrating. The company has pre-fabricated sales programs that don't make much sense in today's economy, yet when the programs fail, the District Sales Managers are held accountable. This makes it difficult to be a stand-out manager, as what makes you better than the rest isn't part of the "program". Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for. The company rewards Regional and Area Managers who achieve numbers, regardless of the methods they use to achieve numbers. On the surface Avon appears to be constantly "updating" their sales model, which, in truth, is normally a cleaver disguise to pay Representatives less money to sell their products.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter nearly 11 years of success as a District Sales Manager with this company I left of my own free will. The company is moving in the wrong direction. Eliminate all of the fluff and get back to basics. Representatives come to Avon to make money, not to win awards. You will continue to lose Representatives and money until your sales opportunity becomes a money-making business for Representatives again.

Has great potential, but does not have vision to make it happen. Competitors are eating their lunch.

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany based on relationships with balance of work and family.

ConsCompany based on relationships so very less accountability, and works on fire fighting mentality, hence takes too long time to make a change, if at all it happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around from within and there are many hidden talents that can make it happen for you.

overall it's good

I have been working at Avon Products as a contractor for more than a year

Prosevery close working relationship, team working to help each other to achieve their goals and follow the defined project management process

Consold technology. not able to catch up with the latest development. no aggressively attach the existing isseus

Advice to Senior Managementnone

I work there for 5 years, I loved it! Lots to learn and share.

Concord, CA

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to network and mentor others.

ConsToo many changes and unfair compensation for the hours worked. Bonus are hard to get!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease define a compensation plan for representatives and keep it so Managers can achieve goals and stay longer making good income.

Downward Spiral

Processing (Current Employee)
Morton Grove, IL

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent Pay. Lots of paid time off. Pretty good benefits. Most of the time, bosses don't micro manage employees. Good co-workers, so long as you stick to the right ones, instead of jerks

ConsOverbearing bosses, make rude distasteful remarks. Definitley a good ol' boys kind of place. Fairly sexist environment. A lot of bosses are engineers, and think only engineers are worthy of managing the place, over even people who study "gasp", business management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up. Let employees do their jobs. Most of them work very hard, and do a good job of it.

Great for Women

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible Schedule. Great relationships are built with the community and the representatives. Benefits are good, for example the company car. They really invest well into their employees.

ConsLots of changes to keep up with...confuses team members and undo stress. Unrealistic expectations set with not enough salary to compensate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan long enough for it to actually work and remember that your representatives are GOLD...without them you are nothing.

High school all over again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than a year

ProsThe area was nice and there were some nice people

Consbullying and poor management. I could not believe grown people to act so childish and get away with half of the things they got away with.

Difficult company to work with.

I have been working at Avon Products

ProsStrong brand, good products and nice sales representatives.

ConsI've put an order in 3 times and put money on account and still can't get produces. I'm returning money taken by customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReveiw you systems-I can only put $1000 on account in your system but you want an additional $488 which it won't accept. Nobody seems concerned about this. I've had orders for 3 weeks I can't fill. Last order I was extended $850 credit limit which was paid and now I can't get product??

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All 411 reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.