Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance if you are in the Rye office"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home, work directly with people or online"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Empowering....Rewarding...Educational...Disappointing...Stressful...Defeating....Dishonest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products

ProsBuild a thick skin, meet and work with SOME great people

ConsIf you want to keep your job...well... well, mmm learn to bob and weave

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the people that have your back, Be careful of the DIvision Managers you have given too much license to

The worst company ever

Charlotte, NC

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is no good reason to work for such an unprofessional company.

ConsNo promotions at all for managers

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to remove most if not all of your division managers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very unfair and very age discrimination practiced

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy team was very appreciative and it is over 6 months later and I still receive at least on call every day.

ConsI managed 2 districts which were always in the top 5 ranking report.
I won Circle of Excellence
But then I got a new Divisional who made it obvious that she wanted to get rid of me and replace me with one of her own. In the end, 9 DSM's out of 15 have been replaced with younger, less educated and with less experience. Both of my districts are on a steady decline - One is at the very bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the damage that has been done in the last year. Hold your head high and admit mistakes were made. Get Avon back on the Success track they were on in 2010.

Sales Rep.

Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAfter 39 years I can"t seem to find one. SORRY

ConsThey treat there Managers and Rep's VERY BADLY. This used to be the best Co. In the world
they had good people running It and they even knew what they were doing, today the Rep's
are really looked down on, I even had a Manger at one time that told me she was better than us Rep's, my way of looking at that Is, If It wasn't for us they wouldn't have a JOB. I have one now that does nothing ever no call backs no meeting's no H.S. party no xmas party's, I don't even know how they keep her but again It's not who you are It's who you know. It's a very unfair place to work, they blame all on the mangers for sales,being no good, well If you would get the products In and to us maybe you wouldn't have to stomp on them all the time, they are really treated badly,you get rid of all the good ones and hire all these young ones and the biggest bunch of them don't want to work. So good luck with the Co. I see It going to the dogs In a big way and real soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementCLEAN HOUSE,GET SOME PEOPLE IN THERE THAT KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT
WE ARE SELLING. BECAUSE WHERE WE ARE WE HAVE NO PLACE TO GO BUT DOWN
THE TUBES.

Run away, don't give up your life to be a District Sales Manager aka the fall guys

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 5 years

Prossome ability to make your own schedule. meeting wonderful people and helping to change lives. car is a perk. good benefits

Consmanagement is clueless. a lot of unfair tactics go on here. you can work your butt off but if you don't kiss enough of them you will not last long. You can be fired even if you are in the top third of your division. Others will stay because they are liked. Very unfair treatment in this supposedly professional company. You will work long hrs 7 days a week for very little money or respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating managers like children in school. Give the respect you expect in return. Appreciate our hard work. Stop playing favorites. Get a grip , the leadership you have will never be self starters, they throw what they don't want to do at the managers and the managers are paid to do it. Let go of the managers and good luck staying a float.

Not a good experience

Brookhaven, NY

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than a year

ProsNone I can remember other then being able to work from my home

Cons- Poor upper management
- 24/7 Work week
- Bonuses dangled in front of the managers but impossible to obtain
- Representatives very mean and would presonally attack
- Was physically threatened by a representative and when reported to inside management, along with the legal department nothing was done
- Harrassed by my Divisional Manager and a fellow male District Manager - I didnt file complaint because of know they would do nothing
- Felt exposed to representatives because they could look up where I lived - not protected like a regular employee that work in the corporate offices
- Fellow district managers very mean, cut throat and bunch of snakes
- When redisticting was done my district was disolved and assigned to a new one where representatives, mostly the top leadership, made it their business to personally attack and destroy

Advice to Senior ManagementI am glad I left the company!!! It was the worst experince work wise I have ever had.

Extremely positive, enjoyable sales position

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Avon Products part-time for more than 8 years

Prossatisfying house bound citizens who cannot shop at malls

Conslack of payments by customers after products are received

Advice to Senior Managementmore information needed on acceptance of credit cards for purchases

What a sad place to work it has become

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFortune 500 company, 401k, name recognition, USED TO BE an incredible company to work for. Based on the reviews here, representatives still seem to be happy, but they are NOT employees and skew the results

ConsI left to join another company and thank goodness I did, as things really went from bad to worse.
-Horrific Senior Management that treats people badly at so many levels.
-An environment that pretends to want your feedback by conducting an annual engagement survey only to make excuses when the feedback is poor. "oh this is not relevant" "oh this is really pertaining to the last supervisor", "oh complaining about a lack of earnings/bonus/etc is something everyone does all the time so we won't even get into that" etc etc etc.
No promotion opportunities for people that have a proven track record. It's all about your buddy!
-Bonus opportunities have disappeared. Avon will talk about it as IF a bonus really exists but it's all,on paper. You can count on one hand how many people in middle management really receive a bonus.
-Poor people skills. I have encountered some of the most vile individuals at Avon, in Senior Management. This is "mean girls" at its finest. They will hold everyone to a much different standard than they hold themselves to. No leading by example.
-Honest feedback not wanted. Speak the truth and your head will get lopped off.
After I left, someone had the grandiose idea to lay off tons of District Managers, the recruiting machine at Avon. They have been in a tail spin ever since. Someone with 2 brain cells could have predicted that this crash would happen ....and Avon has highly paid individuals that could not foresee this?
-A constant stream of bad decisions that take the business from bad to worse, such as: Closed boundaries. Required DSMs to live in their market (did you ever try to hire someone with an advanced degree from the South side of Chicago?)Relocated customer service, finance, HR to India. Brought in people that have no idea about direct selling. Made incentives so complicated that nobody in the field could understand them. Dramatically downsized amount of Districts. Have most of the products manufactured in China. Won't fix a fill rate that's at 50%....the list goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are beyond help. Avon Board of Directors - fire Sheri McCoy then get buyout or make her do an "undercover boss" appearance in the field so she will understand what District Managers have to accomplish every day. Maybe then she will fire all those executives that have fed her BS and start anew.

Global Finance Manager

Finance Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time for more than a year

ProsAvon gives you the title and they pay decent for someone younger making it into management. However you better come in at the level that you want. Promotions are rare.

ConsI don't know where to begin. How this place survives is beyond me. I went through over 10 marketers in one year due to the high turnover all across Avon. If you have been there two years then consider yourself a veteran. They have old systems and rely heavily on excel. You work long hours, get no appreciation, no promotions, etc. Being in management here was impossible. They want to recruit the best talent but give the people tedious, long hour repetitive work that demoralizes the best talent. This company just spits out products every two weeks and people management is not on their list of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementGO AWAY. You took a multi-billion dollar company and did not evolve it since the internet came forward. It takes two weeks from the time a product is ordered to when it is delivered. Meanwhile on Amazon you can free two day shipping on competitive brands. The business model needs to change tremendously along with more emphasis being placed on talent retention. Soon after I left the CEO was removed. You don't want to work here.

This is definitely not the company for women.

I worked at Avon Products full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou can work out of your own home office.

ConsThe time commitment is enormous. Corporate office is only concerned with producing numbers; relationships are not considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop holding DSM's responsible for numbers every two weeks. No one can take the pressure. Spend more time and energy getting back to the representative level.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All 409 reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.