Avon Products

Avon Products Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy

Sheri S. McCoy

Pros:
  • "The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home, work directly with people or online"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for"
    in 18 reviews
  • "First of all, you don't make any money at all unless you place an order that is over"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was a very successful saleswoman. I am a people person and get along well with others.

Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Boynton Beach, FL

ProsI enjoyed working for Avon. I got to work with fashion and made myself and others happy.

ConsWhat you put in is what you put out. I f you work hard you can do very well. I was very dedicated, gave great customer service, which is very important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to communicate with the other employees to check in for updates. Communication is key for a successful relationship in business and personal

Experiences that will make a difference in your career

New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to contribute if you are willing to raise your hand. There is so much to do and for a company that does amazing things for women around the world. The company is largely misunderstood as a brand. Most people, at least in the US think of it as a company that does charity work. In actuality it is a company that creates opportunities for people to start thier own busiesses. You feel good about the mission of the company and have the ability to build a very strong corporate career because of the different operating functions that exist. It's much more than a sales company. Avon creates, manufactures and distributes beauty products globally. The people are dedicated and want the business to be successful for years to come.

ConsSenior leadership is not visible, even in New York where the majority of them sit. Communication about the global business is almost non-existent. I don't think there is much confidence that the senior leadership team is very engaged at this point. Most decisions take a long time and the company is very resistant to trying anything new or innovative in how it thinks about the business or the representatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate beyond your functional areas. Make some decisions and share your vision for the future of the company in detail so that the associates that work so hard to get things right can be as confident as you are on how this company is going to return to profitability.

Very rich experience with in direct sales market. Strong Global brand awareness.

ProsStrong and trusted brand
    Global recognition
    Great supporter of issues supporting the wellness of Women

ConsFinding a way to re-energize their sales model

Advice to Senior ManagementMake stragic decisions that support the one to one interaction between a customer and a Sales Representtive

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its been a challenging, educational, rewarding, frustrating and "hurry-to-wait" all-in-one-big-package experience.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsExposure to multi-national teams and projects. Great people(in general) with a customer-centric attitude and commitment. Absolutely commendable purpose on helping people(not just women) get an opportunity in life.

ConsLack of professional and/or technical development opportunities or programs. Still relying on too many legacy systems. Aging business model and crowded markets are pulling us down.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all good ideas come from the top down, seek and sincerely listen to ALL levels of associates. Keep them informed at all times of what is happening and WHYit is happening. And please, realize that the message has to be delivered to different audiences and needs to be presented accordingly. Modern times require modern approaches, we cannot expect different results doing what was fine 40 years ago.

Okay. Made the same amount of money in a position even if the other person did a poor job.

Order Processor (Former Employee)
    Newark, DE

ProsMost of the associates were like family.

ConsHard to get day off, especially when really, really need it for a reason and even if it is months away.

The good the bad and the ugly.

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility of hours. Great relationship building and gfrowth in leadership skills. Variety of workload allows for personal growth of skills.

ConsNo compensation for salaried employees working 60-70 hours a week. Also, verey little opportunity for advancement. Salary not commensurate with job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Decisions are made without feedback from those in the field who are closest to issues, challenges and opportunities. More concentration on improving operations issues. Staff diminishing due to basic service challenges and field is expected to "smooth" these challenges over. Company in denial that the model is prehistoric in this economy.

Good Intention <> Success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are viewed with regard, in general. Benefits are good. Exposure to significant technology and process is available if there is a willingness to relocate.

ConsLack of vision at the Executive Level, consistently poor decision making, refusal to recognize decline and accept the reasons for that decline, consistent effort by middle and upper management break inertial patterns, inappropriate emphasis on HR as a market differentiator, and adherence to a rigid business model are a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing the company like it was your beloved grandmother. Profits sustain good will not the other way around.

Stress

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCan set schedule to a degree, but there is NO work/life balance at all. Pressure if you don't live for the company.

ConsLeadership in the company is behind the times. They cannot figure out where they are going and continue to pressure managers to make up for losses. Reward those willing to break the rules. No support for career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your market and fix the business model. Managers are passionate about their jobs and they would perform if you would set realistic goals.

Time spent here, 25% awesome, 10% tolerable, 65% absolute nightmare.

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of history, great products, fantastic lower level management team, most of which are very caring.

ConsMost of those writing on here are representatives, not actual employees. As a "LONG TERM" employee I loved my job, but then the caring senior and mid level managers that had for many years helped build and mold this company were forced out and a new breed moved in, tyrannical uncaring managers with EGO's the size of Mount Rushmore became the norm!! There was never a break, do it now and do it my way or else leave was the new way, no balance of home or work life with mid and senior management hounding you day and night, 7 days a week, even when on vacation you were expected to be on the weekly, or bi -weekly disparaging phone conferences, it felt like one had eaten razor blades for breakfast most days. I personally was never permitted to take my fully accumulated vacation allowance times together, and almost every year was "ENCOURAGED" to cancel my vacation. Management is still extremely oppressive here, or so I'm told by those I left behind, it's a threatening culture, no support from HR, even when the threats and mistreatment are documented and substantiated by others. There is no defense against the kind of abuse received by upper and mid level supervisory staff, many sleepless nights, and stressful home-lives are created by these awful people. Many excellent managers that reported the abuse were canned and lessor kissers were kept on. Company values look great on paper, but as every manager their knows that's as far as they get, saying all of that I'll reiterate, the lower level management team are an amazing caring bunch, so much talent, sadly wasted on this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've heard it all before, over and over again, it just falls on deaf ears, you just don't care enough to reign these tyrants in, most of you don't stay around long enough to care! Your DSM's are your life blood, time you started looking after them.

Avon, overall, is a good company. Unfortunately, NY Management & consultants leading them in wrong direction!

New York, NY

ProsGreat products, employee discount, most employees love the company and the work they do. Great benefits & paid time off (if you are able to take it)

ConsStrong history of promoting individuals based on friendships/likability vs. skills necessary to do job. Going through restructuring for almost 10 years and no signs of solid footing. Continues to job eliminate the "worker bee's", in order to meet budgets, without reevaluating Top Management Salaries/Bonuses. Remaining support staff overworked/stressed due to continued job eliminations. True love of Avon and what we stand for is gone. Now we only care about the bottom line.. $$$

Advice to Senior ManagementTry growing the company from the bottom up -- not from the top down. There are too many managers and not enough staff to get the work done. All the managers are on conference call and in meetings all day. What about executing business objectives? We are not Tupperware - stop trying to run the business like we are. Avon non-managerial Staff and District Managers are just as important as Representatives. We have a lot vested in the company and want to see growth, but Sr. Management only interested in what the quarterly numbers look like to the investors, thus more job eliminations.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All 535 reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.