Avon Products

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy
Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• 9 - 5 is awesome hours and on the day before a holiday weekend you have the option to work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for (in 25 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company with excellent compensation

Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company pays well. You will get to work with lot of challenges. Since the recent layoffs, they company is trying to turn around. This has overloaded certain employees

Cons

Recent restructuring is causing employees not to trust the company any more. They are feeling very insecure.

Rework on benefits.

Could be a great company if it got out of its own way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great mission & core values; very nice people & friendly culture; good work/life balance; great products and discount; I enjoy coming to work

Cons

highly disorganized; senior executives aren't moving in the same direction and have a short attention span, so 'launch & abandon' is rampant and there's an overall leadership & communication void.

hire a chief operating officer

Great company & people, poor senior management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful company overall and impressive buisness model that helps thousands of women earn extra income - much needed help in many many low income areas. Products are priced for that population which is also good. Management at sites is very good - competent, caring and hard working - in an overall sense.

Cons

The biggest negative is top executives - over the last 8 years, have seen two CEOs, several senior executives - almost all have done tremendous damage to the company by focusing on the wrong things - whether business tactics, product strategy, or cost control (cutting people). People reduction is so deep that bones are exposed and it directly affects quality, productivity and overall business efficiency. This very short sighted approach to layoffs, and not replacing open positions, is really hurting the company. I think most all employees can see this - except the top executives who make these decisions. It is all very unfortunate. I myself know of several dozen excellent, very capable people find other jobs and leave Avon. This brain drain is hurting the company big time.

Big name business consultants like McKenzie, have clearly failed to help over the years. Avon should stop spending millions on them and use that money to hire more people which is a critical need in several functional areas. Focus on people in real sense, communication meetings alone are not enough. Top executives have to stop this downward spiral that is likely to completely demolish this great company.

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager-Training Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager-Training Manager

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Iconic name every one knows.

Cons

Not a place to have children, travel 90% of time. VERY HARD to make corporate plan. Unable to achieve goals. Every manager I know has been fired even after getting to circle. The best of the best have been let go. there is an embarrassing vary of Managers that represent a beauty company. The company is failing and grasping for straws

Be careful. There is no support with HR, or your Division manager. They will through you under bus so fast. I was with tem for 15 years. made Circle of Excellence 5 times , I was a top producing manager, Just because I did not make staff plan , even though I made Sales plan I was fired, 15 years wasted for a company I put My all Into and made millions. Just to be let go. They make is sound so good in the beginning. You have to be people to sign up. There is no money for the reps because it all goes into corporate hands. Very sad thing that happened to such a good company.

I loved the work and the indepence of having a chance to star my own company.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To gain experience. Very exciting and profitable opportunities.

Cons

It is commission based. Not much to complain about really,

A company that needs to care more about employee welfare

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic culture, very young, and hip environment but at the same time, it is an organization that is serious about its intentions and results. Once it gets through the office politics, management is quick to excise those who have abused their authority.

Cons

Work-life balance is not encouraged and some members of senior management have left partly due to this. People work long hours everyday and the office politics is also manifested especially where promotions and performance evaluations are concerned.

I know manpower can be expensive but do not scrimp to the point that employees work Mondays to Sundays. People will work because they care about their jobs and the agents who depend on them. However, burnout can happen and it does happen too often.

I can't afford to keep selling Avon!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, some good inexpensive products

Cons

This review does not reveal trade secrets or other confidential, internal company information. All of this information is available if you contact Avon directly to become a representative. Since Avon has a minimum order threshold of $50 in order for it's representatives to make a commission (20%), representatives will often not make any money on an order. And also since Avon changed to a flat shipping fee but only allows you to charge the customer $.75, you would have to have at least 7 people order to make up for the difference. This means if 2 people ordered $25, the rep would have a total order of $50 and would make $10. However, since we can't charge more than $.75 to the customer for shipping, the representative actually only earns $5.50. Now, if only one person person ordered and the total order was $25, the representative would not only not make any money, but would LOSE $5.25. How in the world is this fair??? When Avon's customer service was contacted regarding this situation, they adamantly refused to work with me. They've now lost a representative. I can't afford to keep losing money.

change the $50 minimum requirement, or if a rep puts in an order over $50 and some of the items are no longer available, let them keep their 20% earned on what was available

A great company once upon a time

Former Employee - IT Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible. Great work-life balance. Laid back culture. Excellent about needing to take time off for personal reasons.

Cons

Great ideas are generated but there is no follow through. Extremely title and class conscious. Title shouldn't matter, but it doesn't.

Remember who Avon's target market is. Stop trying to sell up. Avon traditionally appeals to the mass market; stop trying to make it a prestige brand.

There are high expectations but huge rewards.

Current Employee - Avon DSM in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Avon DSM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Avon really is a step above. The benefits and perks of bring a DSM are huge. Salary company car pension 401k medical dental vision great holiday pay sick leave and a great bonus structure. The possibilities are huge for a hard worker.

Cons

You are accountable for your numbers. Sometimes a challenge because not everyone has strong work ethic. Have to learn to balance.

Be stricter and not so nice holding people accountable.

Only a matter of time this company will be a thing of the past.

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and down to earth employees for the most part. Offices are new and environmentally friendly.

Cons

The senior management in NYC seems to be incredibly out of touch with the current trends in fashion, beauty and technology leading the company down a path of irrelevance and eventual failure. Marketing department is the worst, hard to understand, with vague goals and directionless briefs. There is often "too many cooks in the kitchen" during the decision making process, the decisions seem to be fear-based and do not come from a logical or informed place. Often, we are expected to make "caviar" on a "pizza" budget. Employees are "encouraged" to "speak up" but when they do, they are punished for any feedback that isn't in line with upper management's existing rhetoric. Don't expect to get promoted or rewarded for your hard work, any promises will be empty. With all the mass layoffs in the recent years, it's only a matter of time this company will be a thing of the past.

AVON needs to come up with a strong brand strategy and stick with it in full confidence, even if profits go down a little in the short term, think for the long term! Being directionless and making fear-based decisions will not keep the company going for long. Be a style leader, not a brand that just jumps on the tail end of trends. You can't make everyone happy so why are you trying so hard to dilute the brand?