Avon Products Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.1

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy
Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• 9 - 5 is awesome hours and on the day before a holiday weekend you have the option to work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for (in 24 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Its been a wonderful learning experience

I have been working at Avon Products full-time

Pros

Growth, Career paths, work life balance, learning, Promotions, have learnt so much in a past three years

Cons

I have yet to come across any cons of working here. I really enjoy working for Avon

Great for self starters

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Elmhurst, PA
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Elmhurst, PA

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great potential for extra and unlimited earnings
    -Excellent customer service skill enforcement
    -Great management experience

Cons

-Support when needed can be difficult at times
    -Samples are chosen by corporation as opposed to those in the field with live data
    -Changes to startup and some other features actually hurt the sales rep more than help.

With everyone shopping online more and more let's bring back the online parties and events. Also training fro the site is great but also support from leadership needs work from some districts. This should be monitored and worked on so you set your rep.'s on the most successful paths. The better the rep.'s do the better Avon does.

Great company for a self motivated person

I have been working at Avon Products

Pros

Make your own money, and work around family schedues.

Cons

Market and economy may make things tough at times.

Nothing is guaranteed!

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay! Great benefits! Vacation/sick time. Work-life balance was seasonal. Certain time of the year the employees knew what was expected.

Cons

Moral went down hill. Wages froze. Most positions work loads became heavier. Better risk for injury. More work less people. Managements attitude toward employees changed. It was hard to take pride in the company when it felt like boot camp at times.

GREED. Not staying true to yourself. It can all come crumbling down. No one thought the TITANIC would sink. I had the same mind set about AVON. Yet it took a few bad decisions to shake the foundation.

Think twice

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule with high Brand recognition

Cons

Work Life Balance does not exist...expect District Managers to be on call 24/7. Unrealistic expectations of field management while corporate can not manage to deliver products.

Stop changing course with the wind...pick a strategy and stick with it...stop blaming the field for retention when your policies make it difficult for the Representatives to make money.

Good products but hard to build a client base

I have been working at Avon Products (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are familiar with the products.

Cons

You can't get your website searchable by everyone unless you have consistently high sales each campaign. This makes it hard to build a client base.

(IT/Data Center) Was once a great, great place to work...

Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People in the trenches had tremendous pride and belief in the company. Onsite consultants, off-shoring, and several rounds of layoffs have destroyed its' very foundation.

Cons

Long term employees undervalued, laid off to avoid pension benefits. Morale is at an all time low.

Practice what you preach. Go back to the roots of what originally made Avon a great place to work.

Not as good as it used to be!

Current Employee - Independent Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Independent Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Avon Products as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Because you are an independent rep you make your own hours and how much your work/sell determines how much you can make. You don't have to punch a clock and worry about anyone looking over shoulder all the time.

Cons

Getting rid of local regional managers that used to help new reps and relying on other reps to recruit and train and manage new reps. Push for reps to recruit. If you're not recruiting lots of new reps and spending tons of time managing their work you aren't very valued anymore. If I didn't like a number of their products i would have given up selling it already. Also the fact that you have tell customers they can return anything at any time, but reps pay the return postage fees and lose credit for sale etc. I am not that motivated anymore like I used to be.

Help do more to get reps to sell better and stop this stupid push to get reps to constantly recruit and manage a downline. 10 really good reps who sell a lot and keep at it are far better than 100 who sell just a little for a very short period of time than quit. Maintain parts of the reps website that you've let go such as product info section.

No help from Upper line, of any kind

Current Employee - Avon Representative
    Current Employee - Avon Representative

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is so easy to shop using the website. I really loved being an e-representative, because of the awesome website.

Cons

There was absolutely No help from my manager, even though I repeatedly asked for help, all I ever received was another question. You should not ask a question to someone that is telling you that they have no idea where to start. I truely felt that my manager cared more about getting more new representatives, rather than trying to help the people that she already had.

Used to be better

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Miller Place, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Miller Place, NY

I worked at Avon Products part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great if you have lots of time and access to large groups of people. You're independent, so you can set your own hours and create your own promotions. Avon gives you the ability to make money through direct catalog sales, a website, find raiser opportunities, and parties.

Cons

The company has been changing things, making it harder for representatives to get by in tough economic times. If your area already has an active rep or two, distributing catalogs can be a waste of money. Product availability can be very poor, unless you're at the top of the sales rung, so moving up from the bottom can be very difficult.

Local district managers should be helpful, but not overbearing.