Avon Products

www.avon.com
Profile Unclaimed

District Sales Manager

I worked at Avon Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good base salary, benefits, company car.

Cons

Nightmare for work/life balance. Long hours, potentially 6-7 days a week. DSMs are expected to personally recruit new Avon representatives DAILY, so be ready to hit a strip mall to cruise for recruits. I was told by fellow Managers to NEVER expect to meet Bonus criteria.

Avon hires at a very high quality professional level, then treats Managers so poorly one would only stay out of desperation for a job.

Extra income

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Naples, FL

I worked at Avon Products part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Be your own boss. Set your own schedule.

Cons

Hard to grow business, needs time.

Communicate with your associates who need information.

Avon is a very inspiring company but is stumbling on difficult times.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time

Pros

The company's people are very supportive of one another and there's great intra-function mobility. Additionally, the company's mission is very inspiring: it is the largest micro lender in the world, giving women the opportunity to start their own businesses and completely change their lives. Avon offers the opportunity of adapting its antiquated Direct Selling model to compete in current times.

Cons

Sometimes the organization could feel too siloed. There have been many recent reorgs and limited upward mobility options as a result of the the U.S. revenue declines.

Busy and Stressful

Former Employee - Avon Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Avon Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It all depends on your sales-skill and communication. The more people you meet in a day, the more likely you are to excel in this field. There is exponential opportunity for growth, depending on your level of commitment. Your work schedule is within your own hands, with meetings occurring weekly or monthly.

Cons

If you are self-conscious or socially awkward, you may have a difficult time with this job. This job can be very stressful on you, if this is your sole means of income. You only get paid on commission.

Training your future employees and informing them clearly is a must.

Great opportunity to learn many angles of direct selling

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fostered working with matrix teams and cross category plans.

Cons

A direct selling specialty can be difficult to translate when seeking future opportunities outside of direct selling. With a very challenging financial profile, resources are minimal leaving little room for growth and development in terms of staff as well as product promotion and programs.

District Manager

Former Employee - District Manager-Training Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager-Training Manager

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Iconic name every one knows.

Cons

Not a place to have children, travel 90% of time. VERY HARD to make corporate plan. Unable to achieve goals. Every manager I know has been fired even after getting to circle. The best of the best have been let go. there is an embarrassing vary of Managers that represent a beauty company. The company is failing and grasping for straws

Be careful. There is no support with HR, or your Division manager. They will through you under bus so fast. I was with tem for 15 years. made Circle of Excellence 5 times , I was a top producing manager, Just because I did not make staff plan , even though I made Sales plan I was fired, 15 years wasted for a company I put My all Into and made millions. Just to be let go. They make is sound so good in the beginning. You have to be people to sign up. There is no money for the reps because it all goes into corporate hands. Very sad thing that happened to such a good company.

Great Company with excellent compensation

Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rye, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company pays well. You will get to work with lot of challenges. Since the recent layoffs, they company is trying to turn around. This has overloaded certain employees

Cons

Recent restructuring is causing employees not to trust the company any more. They are feeling very insecure.

Rework on benefits.

Could be a great company if it got out of its own way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great mission & core values; very nice people & friendly culture; good work/life balance; great products and discount; I enjoy coming to work

Cons

highly disorganized; senior executives aren't moving in the same direction and have a short attention span, so 'launch & abandon' is rampant and there's an overall leadership & communication void.

hire a chief operating officer

Great company & people, poor senior management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful company overall and impressive buisness model that helps thousands of women earn extra income - much needed help in many many low income areas. Products are priced for that population which is also good. Management at sites is very good - competent, caring and hard working - in an overall sense.

Cons

The biggest negative is top executives - over the last 8 years, have seen two CEOs, several senior executives - almost all have done tremendous damage to the company by focusing on the wrong things - whether business tactics, product strategy, or cost control (cutting people). People reduction is so deep that bones are exposed and it directly affects quality, productivity and overall business efficiency. This very short sighted approach to layoffs, and not replacing open positions, is really hurting the company. I think most all employees can see this - except the top executives who make these decisions. It is all very unfortunate. I myself know of several dozen excellent, very capable people find other jobs and leave Avon. This brain drain is hurting the company big time.

Big name business consultants like McKenzie, have clearly failed to help over the years. Avon should stop spending millions on them and use that money to hire more people which is a critical need in several functional areas. Focus on people in real sense, communication meetings alone are not enough. Top executives have to stop this downward spiral that is likely to completely demolish this great company.

I loved the work and the indepence of having a chance to star my own company.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To gain experience. Very exciting and profitable opportunities.

Cons

It is commission based. Not much to complain about really,