Avon Products

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy
Sheri S. McCoy

Pros
  • The people are great to work with and the company is very good with work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• 9 - 5 is awesome hours and on the day before a holiday weekend you have the option to work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor to non-existent, depending on who you work for (in 25 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't believe in a proactive method to turn North America around (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

No help from Upper line, of any kind

Current Employee - Avon Representative
    Current Employee - Avon Representative

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is so easy to shop using the website. I really loved being an e-representative, because of the awesome website.

Cons

There was absolutely No help from my manager, even though I repeatedly asked for help, all I ever received was another question. You should not ask a question to someone that is telling you that they have no idea where to start. I truely felt that my manager cared more about getting more new representatives, rather than trying to help the people that she already had.

Used to be better

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Miller Place, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Miller Place, NY

I worked at Avon Products part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great if you have lots of time and access to large groups of people. You're independent, so you can set your own hours and create your own promotions. Avon gives you the ability to make money through direct catalog sales, a website, find raiser opportunities, and parties.

Cons

The company has been changing things, making it harder for representatives to get by in tough economic times. If your area already has an active rep or two, distributing catalogs can be a waste of money. Product availability can be very poor, unless you're at the top of the sales rung, so moving up from the bottom can be very difficult.

Local district managers should be helpful, but not overbearing.

It wasnt for me..

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Avon Products full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You make your own hours work when you want.

Cons

Its hard of youre not good with meeting new people and trying to sell the products. They sometimes charge you more than what is needed to cover your products leaving you with a credit balance when that's money that you could have had in your pocket. Take a big percentage.

None

Do not Like selling Avon

I worked at Avon Products full-time

Pros

I did not find there to be any pros about this company

Cons

You only get to keep 10% of what you make.

Make the percentage someone can keep from what they sell higher like 40% like Mary Kay

Started out great, ended very bad.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rye, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rye, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great people to work with, pay OK

Cons

The company slogan "The Company for Women" has resulted in too many unqualified and inexperienced women in various positions, especially management. On the other hand the men of the in-house Sopranos gang (anyone who has worked in Rye knows what this means) make IT decisions for reasons other than what is best for the company. My lasting impression is of the former CEO being a disciple of Jack Welch who preaches "cut till it shows", maybe that was good for GE but most companies cannot survive when the remaining workforce has one person doing what three used to... I'm not at all surprised at their troubles.

Read the cons, do something about it without perpetuating it.

Stuck in the past, struggles with Competition

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Avon gives the flexibility to get the job done which means evenings, weekends or when you choose. The opportunity is truly for everyone and I have seen representatives come into the business with no skills and then develop some true job abilities. Everyday the job is different with coaching one on one, running a large meeting, or working in small group settings.

Cons

The company is reactive and not proactive. Direct selling is a different beast but sticking to a plan instead of changing every couple weeks is frustrating. Ive had a new boss every 3 months. Upper management only cares about recruiting more representatives and not building the skills of the current representatives. So many tasks are given to the front line management that there is no time for recognition. Under paid for the amount of job requirements.

Stop treating the district managers as representatives. The company treats representatives as buying customers and managers like representatives and we are told to just find more representatives. That is a band aid fix, of course it looks good to the stockholders to say we will bring in this many more reps to the business. We have been told that for a decade and its not making the company healthy, lets change it.

Lets make Reps more accountable, sign up for monthly or biweekly orders like other direct sales companies, if they don't order we have their customer lists and such. Make reps prepay, its outrageous we allow new reps to pay after they receive products.

So-so experience

I have been working at Avon Products

Pros

Selling model is good and they have cheap reliable products.

Cons

The quoted discounts and pay are world's different than what you actually get.

Increasingly stressful

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and fun atmosphere....great products! Coworkers are amazing and talented. I am always learning and there's opportunity to move within the company

Cons

Reorganization efforts are weighing heavy on all employees. Work/life balance doesn't exist as I'm on call 24/7

Senior Manager

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours and good location

Cons

Very Bad Upper Management. Weak performance with Revenue.

Manager

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family type of environment and flexible.

Cons

Very low growth potential in terms of title.

offer succession planning and make every employee feel as if they are working towards a promotion. Instead of working effortlessly