Avvo Reviews

Fantastic people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team with a lot of smart, motivated people that are fun to work with. I've made a lot of good friends here. Employees are trusted to make good decisions, so there's very little red tape when pursuing an idea. The culture is also very supportive of experimentation and trying out new ideas; there isn't a dogma about our processes. Work/life balance is great, (40 hrs/week). Managers are very supportive and actively help employees grow and build their skills. Upper management is approachable and easy to talk to.

Cons

There seems to be some friction in the culture, with the lower ranks wanting to focus on quality of products, while the execs seem to focus on quantity at the sacrifice of quality. There's also the occasional growing pains as we grow out of start-up mode into a full-fledged company.

Fun & Innovative Company - Couldn't Ask for More!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company that takes care of both it's clients as well as their employees - and that's really impressive, considering it's usually one or the other. The company encourages creativity, career ambitions, and transparency. Also, great work-life balance! The work space is super cool too - they have a couple wellness rooms (with a massage chair), a game room with a few different consoles, a big kitchen, and a fridge stocked with drinks. I can honestly say that I love coming to work!

Cons

You're working with some of the brightest visionaries in the tech, sales, and marketing fields; that can be intimidating at first, but once you "get your feet wet" a bit and meet everybody on an individual level, they are really welcoming!

Great leadership, great people, great execution = great company

I have been working at Avvo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Avvo has a great culture and a great set of values. It has the best senior leadership team I've ever worked with in my 20+ year career in tech. Across all functional areas, the people who work here are second-to-none. There are very few politics and the teams all work well together.

Cons

We've been growing so fast, our current office space is bursting at the seams — but that's being fixed soon...

Do whatever you can to maintain the culture despite growing so quickly — that will be critical for our future success.

Avvo Response

Aug 12, 2014

I think the concerns around maintaining culture in the face of growth are fair. I lived through it at Expedia, and it had all sorts of challenges. However, I think ala we focus on making sure ... More

Ethics of company very poor -- rejects all negative reviews of lawyers. Cannot be trusted.

I have been working at Avvo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No pro's to note as of now. Very poor ethics.

Cons

Very poor ethics within company

If you want credibility in the world stop being so biased! There are tons of bad lawyers out there and being more honest will keep them honest and build credibility within the community for avvo.

Avvo Response

Aug 14, 2014

Responding to a review like this is hard because it does not feel like the words of anyone who has truly worked at Avvo. Still, let me try to be as responsive as possible.

Irrespective of who
    ... More

Great culture

I have been working at Avvo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing fast - lots of professional development opportunities. Lots of promotion from within the org.

Cons

Growing fast means it can be chaotic at times - you have to be able to deal with change.

Keep the culture strong

Currently working for Avvo

I have been working at Avvo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company, low turn over rate, good pay

Cons

I can't think of any. If you do not like talking to attorneys on the phone--this wouldn't be the place for you!

None. Management is great here. Promoting within is something Avvo likes to do.