Avvo Reviews

Mark Britton

1. Featured Review

Amazing Opportunity

I have been working at Avvo

Pros

Avvo is an amazing place to work. Knowing that the company is backed up by such a great CEO like Mark Britton, it drives you to work harder because you know you are appreciated by your efforts. I've worked in retail where they treat you like a slave, work long hours, and are never appreciated by the higher ups. They train the staff really well When I first started I'd say the latter. But since I came from a position where I was only commission-based, I knew I had to try to figure things out on my own. I understand the complaints that others have about Avvo. I just can't say I come remotely close to how they feel. Hard work always pays off in the end, so if you have the drive you will make money at Avvo. The compensation plans are awesome and you get a decent salary. Just like any other sales job, if you do not perform you won't get a good pay check. If you do not get a good paycheck at Avvo I really believe you should be working somewhere else. That's not a knock on the people who don't do well. Some jobs aren't meant for everyone.

Cons

-The growth in staff. It is getting crowded with staff but with any type of sales position you work with what you got, quit your b*tching and figure out the best way to make money. -New account executives getting to call good prospects. When I first started this wasn't allowed. I believe with any type of job you have to work your way up to get better leads and prospects. In this case, first week on the phones they are already able to call whoever.

Advice to Management

Have the managers help out more with those who are struggling and figure out sooner if they should nip it in the bud or not because they are burning leads. Other than that, keep doing what you are doing Avvo! Love working there!

2. I love this company.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company honestly changed my life. The benefits are great, pay is competitive, and I'm grateful for the opportunity I have every day to come in and essentially create my own pay check.

Cons

Some managers lack, immensely. Specifically ones that were some of the originals. They've become lazy and unhelpful to their teams.

Advice to Management

The hiring frenzy is something we talk about a lot. It's still a problem. We are hiring a lot of people that don't seem to care about the company, and are ruining it for those who do. We don't need lazy people who are trying to cheat the system. If you're going to keep hiring, be more selective.

3. Money to be made

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to go at your own pace, the opportunity to make great money, and potential of moving up in the company. Avvo is a start up that is doing it right, and its a great place to work.

Cons

I'd really love more products to be able to sell to make it a little more complex and interesting. The product works, and most of the attorneys know it. Past that, it just becomes a matter of timing for most attorneys we deal with. Kind of takes the fun out of it when a product sells itself so well. I'd still say it's a good problem.

Advice to Management

Just make sure you listen to everyone's input. I think there are some great ideas from the front line that could really help develop the company, and if you take the time to empower your employees to be intrapreneurs no other company will stand a chance. Empower, listen, and grow. Give employees a way to feel like they are contributing so they can share the vision. Also, get rid of the negative reps who dont want to put in the effort. They are going to kill morale.

5. Not bad

I have been working at Avvo

Pros

Pay can be great if you can grasp their style of selling and approach to the attorneys.

Cons

Difficult to actually get the attorneys on the phone and actually pitch them. Not enough Attorneys to call.

Advice to Management

Better training, focus on the approach to the attorney. Get more leads.

6. I've Found My Dream Career

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked for 3 fortune 500 companies... while Avvo is not financially at the level of a fortune 500 company... it far exceeds all of my past employers in terms of employee/job satisfaction. I'm very excited to be a part of Avvo's current transition into Avvo's future progression.

Cons

Nothing that stands out from the norm. Every company is going to have some drawbacks. Avvo's is minimal.

7. First sales job

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say that I look forward to coming to work every day. Thoughts on management: Fair and no non-sense. All they ask of you is that you do your job. If you come in at 8:30, leave at 4, make the minimum amount of dials just to make dials, take long lunches, and don't put in the effort to become an effective AE, then I would say that you need to be micro-managed and this probably isn't right for you. Stop walking around dic*ing around with other reps and pick up the phone. Thoughts on life as an AE @ Avvo: You have to be self-motivated and have to want it - similar to, I imagine, most other sales jobs. Spend less time complaining about this and that, and, instead, focus on what you could be doing more effectively to help you become a better AE - maybe that means shadowing reps that are having success. I see too many reps that struggle not willing to take advice from people that have figured it out. Instead, these reps spend the time they could be using to help them become better to complain about not having enough attorneys to call, about Avvo hiring too many reps, and about not making the amount of money that they thought they were going to make at Avvo. Swallow your pride and start using your head. Yes, Avvo is getting bigger - we are expanding our sales force (maybe at a rate that is going to make things a little more difficult for us AEs), but you knew this was going to happen when you were hired. You knew Avvo's goal was to go public - you only decided to complain about it when you realized that things aren't going your way. You have a good prospect in your pipeline? Did you follow up within 7 days? No? Then don't complain about losing that prospect due to your failure to be diligent and organized. Get your processes in place so that this doesn't happen. The only way to make money at Avvo at this point is to be shady and dishonest? This is laughable. Tell that to the AEs that wake up at the crack of dawn and are in the office at 5:30am while you are still sleeping. When you work 2 extra hours a day for 20 selling days, that equates to an extra WEEK of selling - and you wonder why these reps have more sales than you... Working that hard and wanting it means that you are doing everything you can to make yourself better which means you start to figure out how to close deals more effectively. There is nothing shady about this - just old fashioned HARD WORK. Yes, I understand that not everyone can get in the office that early (other responsibilities) - to you I say stay later.

Cons

Need to increase the amount of newly claimed attorneys

Advice to Management

Possibly re-evaluate new claim process - more engagement teams? I don't know, but I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

8. Avvo is great!

I have been working at Avvo full-time

Pros

Avvo is a great place to work! Everyone is so nice and personable and the SLT are great to work with and for. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

I can't really think of a con. I really enjoy working here.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avvo

Pros

They're the #1 legal directory online where consumers go when they have a need for an attorney

Cons

Management is worthless, negative attitudes, none - approachable, and extremely lazy and unhelpful-backstabbing salespeople culture

Advice to Management

Do something besides sitting at you desk all day on facebook, twitter, and online games- help your team members be successful

10. Great Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great people, great pay. Relaxing environment but a hard working environment. I really like it here. Plus, free snacks and beverages each day.

Cons

None that I can think of.

11. Happy to be a Avvo

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo

Pros

I have been given a great opportunity at Avvo. I have been promoted not just once but twice in less than 2 years. Avvo has been very understanding with my scheduled being a single parent. I was allowed to leave early from work to get my daughter to her activities for several months. It amazes me that people claim you have to work so hard. I worked 8 hours a day and became a top rep. That is a great work life balance. I have made a great living and my benefits are amazing. Avvo also provides employees with activities, and outings from boat cruises on Lake Union to lunch at The Met. Avvo is a great company, with a great product. Anyone would be fortunate to be a part of the Avvo family

Cons

The parking is not that great so I am thankful they provide us with an Orca card

RSS Feed </> Embed