Awana Reviews

Nice work environment

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Awana full-time

Pros

Good friendly people to work with. Cutting edge technology.

Cons

Due to frequent budget cuts and re-org's current positions are eliminated. It feels like there's no 'Job security' for the must part.

Great mission, poor leadership

I worked at Awana full-time

Pros

The mission of Awana is wonderful: to reach kids and youth with the gospel and to train them spiritually through biblical truth. There are a lot of talented, committed employees in the organization.

Cons

Executive leadership is out of touch with the rest of the organization. Awana consistently scored near the bottom of the annual Best Christian Workplace Survey and was labeled a toxic organization for employees. Executives forced sweeping organization-wide changes on departments every two or three years, which cost the ministry critical dollars and time and further demoralized its staff. Leadership's poor communication skills, lack of business acumen and callousness toward employees' needs has made Awana an unattractive place to work, which is too bad, because the organization's mission and vision are exciting and fulfilling.

Awana needs wholesale changes to its executive leadership team. The current leadership team has proven it isn't up to the task of changing Awana's course from losing millions of dollars to thriving again.

Toxic, unfocused leadership

I have been working at Awana full-time

Pros

You do feel like you're part of a bigger work God is doing in the world. Pockets of reliability throughout the organization, coupled with some great people make the day-to-day manageable.

Cons

Executive and Board leadership is a mess. Unfocused, lacking clarity and definitely unable to effectively, consistently communicate to the lower levels of staff. Too many employees, almost all I've ever met, leave - either forcibly or of their own accord, with a bad taste in their mouths.

Get over yourselves. Stop talking and start listening, not just to what you want to hear but what people are actually saying to you. This is not the only ministry out there doing good work and will continue not to be. Try partnering with others in a "win-win" scenario instead of always looking for the advantage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awana, secretarial

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at Awana part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, wonderful ministry, fun atmosphere

Cons

Changes to the ministry focus.

Trust more in God and less in the lawyers.

Amazing work environment!

Current Employee - Summer  in  Streamwood, IL
    Current Employee - Summer in Streamwood, IL

I have been working at Awana as an intern for less than a year

Pros

At Awana, I always had the confidence that my supervisor and other people I worked with had my best interests at heart and had my back. It was a great place to learn and grow and get a good taste of working life.

Cons

The company was going through some transitional changes at the time that I was there. While some of the pioneers of the organization were determined to stick to traditions, other younger staff were interested in exploring other options. The future of the organization was therefore a little uncertain, but also exciting.

Solid ministry provider but leadership is lacking.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Streamwood, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I worked at Awana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Effective program materials, life changing for children. There is a strong personal commitment of staff and enthusiasm for the ministry. HR works hard to create a great work-life balance.

Cons

Leadership does not engage well with staff - too removed. They score low on the Best Christian workplace every year, that should tell you something!

Listen to your people. The talent and know-how are already there - give them credit. Stay focused, making sweeping changes every two - three years is just draining your resources and staff.

Missionary for many years

I worked at Awana

Pros

Opportunities to share the gospel with churches, reaching boys, girls, and youth with the gospel of Christ. Opportunities to train churches to share the gospel

Cons

You must raise your own support from individuals and churches. This can be very rewarding and challenging at the same time. You get to see God work in many different ways during this time.

Great mission, low compensation, poor benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Streamwood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I have been working at Awana

Pros

It's great to work for an organization committed to spreading the gospel
    The people are great
    Very understanding and flexible managers

Cons

Pay is low, even for a non-profit
    The medical benefits are bad, no dental, no 401(k) match

Hold yourself, and the other leaders, to a higher standard of business acumen and leadership. Be willing to make difficult decisions.

Worked for Awana? Contribute to the Community!