Axcient
www.axcient.com Mountain View, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Axcient Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2014
Axcient – Mountain View – “perks”

Justin Moore

Great company with great people. Glasdoor is for whiners.

I have been working at Axcient full-time for more than a year

ProsI work with some of the best people I've ever worked with. People are fun, energetic and enthusiastic. Oh, and most are crazy smart. The management team cares about the employees and is constantly making and effort to connect. The environment is laid-back, but competitive. And, people genuinely act like a team. No, everything isn't perfect, but I read some of the reviews on this website and they're just inaccurate and clearly from people who were fired. So, I thought I'd balance it out.

ConsWe've had our product and support struggles over the years and we've had some strategy changes. But, those seem to be behind us and I've never felt more enthusiastic about the company. It feels like we're finally clicking and we're going to really rise to the top now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being transparent and sharing the vision with us.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It is an exciting, fast paced place to work but not as great as our marketing makes it out to be

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Axcient full-time for more than a year

ProsSometimes fun place to work, solves a real business problem. The free food and snacks are great. Cool people to work alongside.

ConsFrequent problems with the technology. You are never quite sure when you will get stabbed in the back here and it is an everyone for themselves place. Senior management makes changes every quarter (or more) as they try to figure out what will work. Revolving door of employees as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making so many strategy changes, pick a goal and stick with it. Don't oversell our capabilities as a company.

Most negative experience of my professional life

Contractor (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAxcient is trying to create a fun, hardworking and collegial environment with lots of company lunches and allowing pets at work. Good location just off 101 in Mountain View.

ConsInexperienced, unprofessional management at the highest level. Most employees were trying to make it work under very dysfunctional and political circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on building a great product so that you can bring in the revenue you will need to survive.

Building a great product, but if you excel at playing "the game", work here. Big company politics at a pretty small firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Axcient full-time

ProsGreat product, great coworkers, awesome management (before sweeping changes)

ConsIt really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way the way the company handled a mass layoff, it was pretty unprofessional. Very little transparency from the top down, and the CEO prefers fear tactics.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess favoritism and more transparency.

Great experience, learned a lot and felt respected and appreciated.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are really fantastic-- warm and talented--and the work is extremely intellectually satisfying and challenging. The culture is driven and dedicated without being life-consuming; time in the office is very flexible as long as you get your work done. Teams are small and well focused, with a good deal of ownership over the work you are doing.

ConsThey're still working out some inner-organization kinks as they move into their growth phase-- lots of cubicle moving (though this has probably calmed down now, with a new floor plan just being enacted) and management changeovers in my time there.

Growth, fast paced, work hard, play hard.

I have been working at Axcient full-time for more than a year

ProsI've worked for Axcient for 18 months. The growth of the company and pace of the product development has been amazing. The Product and Engineering teams are among the best I've worked with.

Axcient is a culture in which team members set goals, and deliver. Risk taking is encouraged and failure on risks is not punished. Success is rewarded. I see myself growing with Axcient.

Location is great. Catered lunches, ping pong and lots of fun events.

ConsAxcient's pace can be tiring. I am able to have good work life balance, but there are times when bursts of activities centered around deadlines can put the pressure on.

Free snacks require that I get out and exercise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe product vision is amazing. The product execution is excellent. Land on a got to market and go after it. You can crush the legacy incumbents.

Fast paced, results oriented, and a lot of fun

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Axcient full-time for less than a year

ProsI have been with the company now for less than a year. Besides the catered lunches twice a week, free sodas and snacks, and great location, here are some cool things about the company:

Culture: Axcient has a great, fun environment. There's a lot of hard work but the executive team really cares about employee morale. Culture fit is a key criteria when hiring, which ensures the continuation of the company culture and the reinforcement of it.

Results: a lot of companies talk about results, but they put a lot of policies and useless obstacles. At Axcient they encourage you to think about results and to do things differently if it will help you get the desired results. There is a bias for action and they try to minimize politics and bureaucracy that you see in larger companies.

Transparency: This is the most transparent company I ever worked for. During monthly "all hands" meetings, the execs tell all the employees what's going on. The good, the bad, and the ugly. All the numbers are there up on the screen. Revenue, costs, sales goals, everything is there, so there is no way you will be asking yourself what's going on. Very refreshing management style.

Innovation: Product, finance, marketing, sales, it doesn't matter which department belong to, everyone is always trying to do something new. There is no "not invented here" attitude, quite the contrary. They really want you to think of great new ways to get stuff done faster and better.

Amazing team: I love all my coworkers. Sounds weird, but I haven't really met anyone yet who I don't like working with. Everyone is super friendly, and always available to help. True team spirit.

ConsAs with any company, there are always cons. For example:
- Performance reviews were not formalized until recently and even now haven't been completely rolled out to all employees. They leave to each manager to get it started in the department. I understand this will change.

- Flexible schedule may not work for everyone. If you are used to 9 to 5 environment, this won't work for you.

- Really fast paced environment, with changing priorities and deadlines. Gotta be able to work under a lot of changes and very aggressive goals.

- Incredibly saturated market. The company will be extremely successful within the next couple years, or die. They are making news headlines and trying to disrupt the industry, so you have to really believe in the team and the product, because is not a slam dunk.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on results and empowering people to get things done. Make sure you reward people and get salaries a notch higher than industry average, this is the only way to attract and retain good talent.

If you can't stand the heat..get out of the kitchen!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Axcient full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing work environment, Great Product Roadmap,Very experienced executive team
Ability to make your mark and contribute strong ideas. Often times people are posting negative feedback here but its only because they have not worked in smaller start up or growth companies...this is my 5th and it requires a certain commitment and mindset. If you are not up for a challenge and committed to seeing results...this is NOT a place for you. Axcient is a very dynamic organization with smart, energetic people who all share the common goal of success. If you can stand the bumps..and tough times...perhaps you might be unemployed.

ConsFast growth can be hard for those that cannot handle change or deal with ups and downs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people...listen to feedback. Make yourselves available.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Axcient as an intern for less than a year

ProsPEOPLE are what make a company, and Axcient prides themselves on their People; the environment is both socially and intellectually stimulating, making for great lunch-time conversations and plenty of helping-hands.

Both the location and functionality of their HQs in Mountain View are prime. They are right off the infrequently-used San Antonio North exit from 101, and situated no less than 200 feet from the pristine (and fairly isolated) Shoreline Park. Axcient employees enjoy this park frequently, whether it be to walk their dogs or to engage in intimate conversations with Upper Management. Additionally, the kitchen is always STOCKED FULL and the restrooms are always clean.

Upper Management is very organized and focused.

The direction in which the company is headed was clearly communicated to all employees.

Although I was an intern, my input and insights were welcomed and appreciated.

PAID well.

Every week I heard more and more SALES GONGS (indicating a large, closed deal), while the number of new faces and interviewees walking in and out of the office steadily increased. Both of these factors made me realize the growth on which Team Axcient prides itself is, to say the least, maintained, and clearly visible as soon as one steps foot inside the office.

Last, but certainly not least, were the catered lunches. Almost every day of the week we were offered an eclectic and healthy array of lunch options.

ConsAxcient has recently accelerated their recruiting efforts in order to comply with the steady growth in demand for the Axcient Solution. These increased recruiting efforts may have been initiated a little late, for occasionally, there was merely too much work for the present staff to handle.

All Smoke & Mirrors

Sales (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient full-time for more than a year

ProsGood location and lunch perks

ConsCEO is very inexperienced and only cares about himself and his image
Employee and customer turnover is out of control
Management writes fake (positive) reviews on Glassdoor to disguise the truth
Employment recruiters don't want to work with them due to their poor reputation in the valley
Company has burned thru $53.5M in VC dough and only produced $9.7M in revenue for 2012 (founded in 2006). My guess is they'll have to get more money soon to continue. My opinion is that this could be a down round.
Customer dissatisfaction and churn is a major problem and will eventually impede any future growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's probably too late for this company as the Board is unwilling to address the root cause of the problem...The CEO. Their VC's will be fighting hard to break even on their investment.

Worked for Axcient? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Axcient reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Axcient CEO Justin Moore. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Axcient employees.