Azusa Pacific University

Jon R. Wallace

Office of Career Services Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Azusa, CA

I have been working at Azusa Pacific University as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility for hours, I was able to take ownership of what I do, professional development provided skills and resources to get a job in the future.

Cons

The challenges were few: I think of one the biggest challenges that I had was inconsistency since we were doing a lot of re-branding; however, it was an incredible learning experience to be on the marketing team behind that rebrand.

Great place for the community!

Current Employee - Manager in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Azusa, CA

I have been working at Azusa Pacific University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The community of people on campus is phenomenal! The people you work with, and the people that you work for are amazing people! The culture of the campus is like no other! It is an Evangelical Christian community, so the people are wonderful and really want to follow others in their journey with Christ. Each fac/staff member is required to be a Christian, but students are not.

The training process can take up to three months, but for qualified people can be done pretty quickly.

Cons

The pay is not very competitive with other universities.

I can't discuss this, as I was not in leadership and they made decisions that I wouldn't have wanted to make.

Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Azusa Pacific University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tuition benefits & nice coworkers

Cons

Manager is a micromanager with trust issues. Every detail has to be approved by the manager before continuing to the next step, leaving no room for creativity and causing deadlines to be missed or entire planning process to be delayed. It's very disappointing that a university whose motto is "God First" allows people such as this manager to be placed in their position to lead others. This manager puts up a very good facade in front of others allowing her to get by as a professional, but since I worked closely with her, I witnessed a manager who is unorganized and will shift blame to others at all cost so that her true unprofessionalism and lack of management skills are not revealed. I not only experienced this myself but witnessed this being done to my coworkers. It is heartbreaking and disappointing that the university allows these types of managers who are inexperienced and lack empathy to lead others.

Take initiative to speak with employees when situations arise. Don't just trust one side of the story to be true just because they are the "managers". Afterall, you and these managers are a reflection of the department, the university, and proves whether or not APU carries out the motto "God First".

Backwards University

I worked at Azusa Pacific University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, good job security.

Cons

Backwards view of the world in every way. Low pay.

Wonderful Place!

Former Employee - Library Worker in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Library Worker in Azusa, CA

I worked at Azusa Pacific University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing community and lifelong friends who support you and want the best for you.

Cons

APU can be a bubble that is difficult to break out of and get real world perspective.

Please keep championing younger leaders!

collaborative, Christ-centered environment

I worked at Azusa Pacific University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

supportive environment, beautiful campus, candid and approachable management & senior leadership.

Cons

compensation is not the most competitive, however it makes sense since APU is a non-profit university

keep up the good work...John Wallace is an incredible leader!

Best time of my life!

Current Employee - Sports in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Sports in Azusa, CA

I have been working at Azusa Pacific University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is dedicated to honoring Christ
    Students definately come first.
    Got wonderful opportunities in music and sports
    Well known university for its education and quality of students

Cons

None really . You aren't going to get rich but you can minister to a lot of people

Keep opportunities open to kids with scholarships.

Undergraduate Admissions Intern

Former Employee - Undergraduate Admissions Intern in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Admissions Intern in Azusa, CA

I worked at Azusa Pacific University as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I learned so much about how to work with all different types of people, it has helped me develop a better love for the school and a deeper understanding for communication

Cons

The schedule sometimes was a bit of a hassle when with balancing with school/ classes.

Great environment. Lots of great staff members

Current Employee - Staff in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in Azusa, CA

I have been working at Azusa Pacific University full-time

Pros

It is a very good Christian environment, with officially sanctioned times to gather for worship and prayer. In the right positions, you can affect students significantly. The library staff and services are awesome. My boss cares about me as a person, not only an employee.

Cons

Changing jobs is almost impossible. Compensation at the "ministry" level. that is, you want to work at APU becuse of the mission, not for the pay, yet employees are leaned on to be donors. Promotion or career grwoth has been non-existent. In adequate professional development opportunities. Lots of middle and senior management with little understanding of how to best carry out their roles and promote the right things at the school. They waste huge amounts of money on bad things, like PeopleSoft, but won't hire clerks so that staff can get their jobs done in a 40-hour week. Yet, I cna't work overtime to get work done either. Semior administration is way too top-heavy. HOw many VPs does one small school need? Why an EVP? It department wastes gobs on contractors.

Spend money to adequately staff the various offices on campus like Admissions, registrar, etc. Stop the massive nepotism. Make the hiring of faculty, not least adjuncts a more transparent process. Dept. chairs sholdn't be alowed to reject applicants on their own just because they feel like it.

Good environment with great mission

I worked at Azusa Pacific University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You have the ability to make a real impact in students lives.

Cons

Low compensation, not always working with the best and brightest, short sighted middle management

Azusa Pacific University Photos