B. Braun Medical

Updated November 9, 2014
2.6

B. Braun Medical Chairman and CEO Caroll H. Neubauer
Caroll H. Neubauer

Pros
  • A few nice people, but, micromanagement of staff kills any positive culture (in 7 reviews)

• Relaxed environment, very informal (most of times), good work-life balance specially if you going to school (part time) like me (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't really care at all about their employees (in 2 reviews)

• They are more worried about timing exempt and non - exempt employees lunch breaks than how much an individual contributes to the company (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

For reference

Former Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people around. Good place to work at.

Cons

Little chance to move up.

N/A

If you're really, really desperate for work

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing they're not stingy about is overtime (if approved of course). Also and although a few of them, the actual good people stand out as the company is generally full of toxic people.

Cons

Wages and salaries are below (maybe well below) the market rate.

Although my main manager was actually decent with me and a few of my supervisors were like mentors as well, a good bunch of the staff (managers, supervisors, coworkers) weren't the people one would want to work with for, like, ever. The higher level managers extremely micromanaged their staff by essentially interrogating them of what they were doing with fear of the implication of being let go if their questions weren't answered correctly. There were actually times when I've witnessed manufacturing supervisors overly threatening termination if any of the staff (usually the un- or undereducated temp workers) were to make certain mistakes as everyone knows they can be easily replaced as the Irvine location has a temp office with many people coming in for job prospects. Even if they weren't your direct supervisors (this too applies with some of my own supervisors), they will reprimand and unnecessarily yell at employees for the smallest things such as checking their phones or talking with colleagues unless of course if you were one of their favorites. In addition, there is no concept of mutual respect integrated in their psyches as they do the same things I've just mentioned amongst themselves. I understand that one has to be extremely focused and critical in certain situations. But outside of these situations, it is completely unnecessary and counterproductive to reprimand your employees like a teacher would with students.

Aside from some of the harsh management and supervisors, a good bunch of the workers, especially those on the manufacturing side of the campus, are rude and quite immature for their ages. Not only do they seem unfriendly in their communication and manner but also how they will quickly assign blame and throw people under the bus even if they are partly or entirely guilty of what caused the issue in the first place. Such example is when one of the fork lift drivers had the nerve to glare at me as if it was entirely my fault that he almost ran into me even though I was even more aware of my surroundings than an average pedestrian would be and how the majority of responsibility would and should be that of the driver. Although I don't want to brand every uneducated person as the following, but it is quite evident that the lack of education inversely correlates with the emotional maturity required for these positions.

Be that as it may, it could be very well possible that the cause for their behavior might be of how unfairly treated management is towards them. One example is how free coffee is only available to the higher paid administrative/technical/managerial members of the company whereas a vending machine charging for coffee is the only thing available to the rest of the employees, aside from the not free cafeteria.

Don't be so hostile with your employees by micromanaging the hell out of them. Also, treat them with dignity and mutual respect. Imagine yourselves in their shoes.

Hire more educated, mature and competent employees in order for increased productivity, lower turnover, and a better workplace overall.

Raise salaries and wages to more fair standards and... make coffee free to everyone as most companies of B Braun's size have done so already.

Just OK

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. A few nice people, but, micromanagement of staff kills any positive culture.

Cons

Not very progressive; lack of advancement options. Culture is lacking. Retention is probably due to poor job market. Good place to learn and gain experience, then move on. Very old school management, especially in HR, resistant to change. Too much micro managing going on.

Hire better management that knows how to develop and retain talent. Walk the walk, don't just try to talk the talk. Managers are more concerned with timing lunches and breaks than anything else.

Great experience most of the time I was there except the last 2 years

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Good place to work if you are starting out or want to get experience in the medical industry then move to another company in 2 to 3 years to make more money, Opportunities to learn

Cons

Poor Advancements potential-tend to promote from the out side; Pay- lower than industry average; Treatment of people and Security- demoted at least 7 managers in the last 3 years, they give poor reviews out of no where

Changes don't seem tied to an overall strategy. Don't change something for the sake of changing. Help your people understand how changes fit in an overall strategy to improve the business.

Micro managed to death

Former Employee - Quality in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lower level people are hard working and need their jobs

Cons

Senior leaders have no clue what is going on. They only care about their numbers, with no respect for quality or for patient safety. Preach cultural change but have no interactions with line staff.
    Cheap, too cheap to fix machines

Fire anyone who has been there too long. Dinosaurs are killing the company. Keep the COO out of the business.

Knee-jerk changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good, knowledgeable people
    Neat projects

Cons

Dysfunctional management that overreacts and makes changes on a whim without fully understanding the consequences. Preach to do the right thing first time around, and practice pharmaceutical elegance, yet hardly see that enforced or is conveniently forgotten when the pressure is on. You spend more time watching your back then focusing on getting tasks completed.

Stop working your people to death. Appreciate their input and contributions. Reward the star performers rather than treat them like garbage.

No future in this company

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Other than management, people are nice.

Cons

Incompetent supervisors and managers are running the show.

Get your act together.

Great benefit

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offer good benefit package and stable company.

Cons

Stressful enviroment. It also depends on what type of work and department you are in.

Need to hire good qualified with technical knowledge skill employees.

N/A

Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical

Pros

Hi volume production. Good place to learn

Cons

24 hours, seven days on call

Place to learn fundamental manufacturing process

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical

Pros

flexible work hours
    family like pocket of co-workers

Cons

slow to change against changing environment

Adapt to the new and changing environment (Old working process is Good but New/Improved process is better)