B. Braun Medical Reviews

Reset
1.6
B. Braun Medical Chairman and CEO Caroll H. Neubauer
Caroll H. Neubauer

Pros
  • There are genuinely nice people that work there many of them stuck in their position because of the economy (in 7 reviews)

• Relaxed environment, very informal (most of times), good work-life balance specially if you going to school (part time) like me (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The big wigs could really care less about their employees, they want them to operate like robots (in 2 reviews)

• They'll take 2 hour lunch breaks and if you go a minute over your thirty minute lunch break, they'll go insane on you (in 2 reviews)

1. For reference

Former Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people around. Good place to work at.

Cons

Little chance to move up.

Advice to Management

N/A

Chemist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't really think of any pros. It's an environment promoting laziness and lack of accountability. So if you are good at doing the bare minimum and the blame game. it's a good place for management.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility. Management has no good work ethics. Not a safe work place for female employees. Overall, it's not a good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Sexual harassment training. Accountability training. Stop playing favorites. Focus working on the right priorities. Listening to employees. Enforce high standards of work ethics.

Doing things the wrong way

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time

Pros

Solid health care plans. Some increased signs of recognition. Some good people who genuinely care.

Cons

Constant change in cultural principles has led improvements like Oz Accountability to be viewed as flavor of the month; Oz is only used in convenience Hostile environment at multiple facets (within departments and with other departments) Preaching culture change, yet default to "that's just the way things are done" at all levels. Lack of staff development (technical skills and succession planning) Development plans are less development and more level of expectations. The systems that are in place for lean aren't properly utilized or maintained. Managers are more concerned about people gaming the system, yet people (lower management and below) are forced to work in conditions that promote a poor work/life balance

Advice to Management

It was sad that at a leadership meeting, when asked what the company's most valuable asset was, no one said "people". The trainer revealed that the answer was in fact "people". Set realistic company goals. Some are actually realistic, while others are shooting for the moon. Need to conceptualize whats achievable and whats stretch. Develop your people! They want to be developed. And if they don't you should work on There is a lot of opportunity to improve, but you need to be able to stick with change. I fear that the continual reverting to status quo by leadership has caused a majority of technicians and operators to not believe in changes and merely act.

Worst place to work ever

Current Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - QC Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical full-time

Pros

It's kind of hard for me to think of pros. I guess the best thing is your immediate coworkers who understand your struggle and can be like your "family." However, I think this is only relevant to me since team work is a rare commodity in this factory. Lots of people here will backstab others or quickly take credit for things that are good but shrink away from taking accountability of anything bad they've done. This is literally prominent in most of the leadership, so it should tell you a lot about how crappy of a place to work for this is. Your leads and supervisors and managers will quickly throw you under the bus even if you did no wrong as long as the finger does not get pointed to them. And when this happens, no one will ask you for your side of the story since you're just a minion to their eyes. I guess the biggest pro of working here is that you can experience George Orwell's "Animal Farm" come to life. That being said, you only get to be Boxer, the horse who gets worked to death. That being said, you should not expect to see any of your coworkers after they've hit their six month of being here since that's when they all start quitting or leaving elsewhere. So I guess the biggest pro is essentially networking since you'll end up getting to know different people that will go elsewhere! But the good thing is if you somehow manage to climb this ladder, you can leave after working 2 hours on Friday and run to happy hour with the rest of management!

Cons

You can never make your upper management happy. Seriously, they get angry because you leave on time. There's no work/life balance here. They just expect you to work and work and work and work. Micromanagement is crazy here. They keep hawking their employees as if they don't do anything but how do you have so much time to hawk your employees!?!??! Oh, also the pay is crappy. So don't expect much money to come. And you will see hell if you attempt to try to get a raise or if you get switched shifts (not by choice) and wish to retain the money you signed your contract for. They don't know how to manage people or even be people. If you talk, then all of a sudden, you're the person who talks too much and doesn't work. If you don't talk, then there's something wrong with you and no one knows what you're thinking so maybe you're a psycho. Essentially, they see you how they want and regardless of your hard work, you'll probably be told you're not doing enough. I wouldn't wish this job upon my worst enemies.

Advice to Management

Stop being hypocrites. Pay more money and be more honest.

If you're really, really desperate for work

Former Contractor - Engineering Technician in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Engineering Technician in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing they're not stingy about is overtime (if approved of course). Also and although a few of them, the actual good people stand out as the company is generally full of toxic people.

Cons

Wages and salaries are below (maybe well below) the market rate. Although my main manager was actually decent with me and a few of my supervisors were like mentors as well, a good bunch of the staff (managers, supervisors, coworkers) weren't the people one would want to work with for, like, ever. The higher level managers extremely micromanaged their staff by essentially interrogating them of what they were doing with fear of the implication of being let go if their questions weren't answered correctly. There were actually times when I've witnessed manufacturing supervisors overly threatening termination if any of the staff (usually the un- or undereducated temp workers) were to make certain mistakes as everyone knows they can be easily replaced as the Irvine location has a temp office with many people coming in for job prospects. Even if they weren't your direct supervisors (this too applies with some of my own supervisors), they will reprimand and unnecessarily yell at employees for the smallest things such as checking their phones or talking with colleagues unless of course if you were one of their favorites. In addition, there is no concept of mutual respect integrated in their psyches as they do the same things I've just mentioned amongst themselves. I understand that one has to be extremely focused and critical in certain situations. But outside of these situations, it is completely unnecessary and counterproductive to reprimand your employees like a teacher would with students. Aside from some of the harsh management and supervisors, a good bunch of the workers, especially those on the manufacturing side of the campus, are rude and quite immature for their ages. Not only do they seem unfriendly in their communication and manner but also how they will quickly assign blame and throw people under the bus even if they are partly or entirely guilty of what caused the issue in the first place. Such example is when one of the fork lift drivers had the nerve to glare at me as if it was entirely my fault that he almost ran into me even though I was even more aware of my surroundings than an average pedestrian would be and how the majority of responsibility would and should be that of the driver. Although I don't want to brand every uneducated person as the following, but it is quite evident that the lack of education inversely correlates with the emotional maturity required for these positions. Be that as it may, it could be very well possible that the cause for their behavior might be of how unfairly treated management is towards them. One example is how free coffee is only available to the higher paid administrative/technical/managerial members of the company whereas a vending machine charging for coffee is the only thing available to the rest of the employees, aside from the not free cafeteria.

Advice to Management

Don't be so hostile with your employees by micromanaging the hell out of them. Also, treat them with dignity and mutual respect. Imagine yourselves in their shoes. Hire more educated, mature and competent employees in order for increased productivity, lower turnover, and a better workplace overall. Raise salaries and wages to more fair standards and... make coffee free to everyone as most companies of B Braun's size have done so already.

Just OK

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. A few nice people, but, micromanagement of staff kills any positive culture.

Cons

Not very progressive; lack of advancement options. Culture is lacking. Retention is probably due to poor job market. Good place to learn and gain experience, then move on. Very old school management, especially in HR, resistant to change. Too much micro managing going on.

Advice to Management

Hire better management that knows how to develop and retain talent. Walk the walk, don't just try to talk the talk. Managers are more concerned with timing lunches and breaks than anything else.

Great experience most of the time I was there except the last 2 years

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Good place to work if you are starting out or want to get experience in the medical industry then move to another company in 2 to 3 years to make more money, Opportunities to learn

Cons

Poor Advancements potential-tend to promote from the out side; Pay- lower than industry average; Treatment of people and Security- demoted at least 7 managers in the last 3 years, they give poor reviews out of no where

Advice to Management

Changes don't seem tied to an overall strategy. Don't change something for the sake of changing. Help your people understand how changes fit in an overall strategy to improve the business.

Micro managed to death

Former Employee - Quality in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lower level people are hard working and need their jobs

Cons

Senior leaders have no clue what is going on. They only care about their numbers, with no respect for quality or for patient safety. Preach cultural change but have no interactions with line staff. Cheap, too cheap to fix machines

Advice to Management

Fire anyone who has been there too long. Dinosaurs are killing the company. Keep the COO out of the business.

Knee-jerk changes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, knowledgeable people Neat projects

Cons

Dysfunctional management that overreacts and makes changes on a whim without fully understanding the consequences. Preach to do the right thing first time around, and practice pharmaceutical elegance, yet hardly see that enforced or is conveniently forgotten when the pressure is on. You spend more time watching your back then focusing on getting tasks completed.

Advice to Management

Stop working your people to death. Appreciate their input and contributions. Reward the star performers rather than treat them like garbage.

No future in this company

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at B. Braun Medical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Other than management, people are nice.

Cons

Incompetent supervisors and managers are running the show.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

RSS Feed </> Embed