B.H. Management

Management

Current Employee - Apartment Community Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Apartment Community Assistant Manager

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time

Pros

time off and benefits are good. lots of great training and they pay for uniforms.

Cons

they promised me benefits and then never contacted me about enrollment and then told me i had to wait a year for open enrollment.

Get back to the fundamentals of good property management.

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of training available. Plenty of manuals and even an intranet to find any form you made need.

Cons

Expect to be overwhelmed, especially at takeover. I could spend most of my time answering email. Expect to work late.

Get back to the basics. Listen to our advice regarding locals vendors, new amenities, crimes and our ideas. Lessen up with the unnecessary reports and micro-managing.

Good Experience

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Experience, communication, activities, new people.

Cons

company value, no promotion, compensation very low

Seems to be going downhill...fast

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide plenty of training, which was lacking at other companies I have worked for.
    Show appreciation to managers once per year with a conference.
    401K and benefits are available

Cons

It seems like over the past few years that long term (like15-20 years) employees are jumping ship...trying to get out before it crumbles. I can count more than 10 people who have quit within the past 2 years, from Regional Vice President to HR to Regional Marketing and more.
    They expect long hours for lower pay than most other property management companies.
    There are policy changes at least once or twice per week and they expect everyone to remember immediately and adhere.
    Upper management can be very immature. Cursing in the work place and talking bad about other employees directly to others who hold the same positions. Then will turn around and tell you write one of your employees up for doing that very thing. Just seems like they wear their titles as a crown, and act untouchable.
    They use fear tactics to try and "motivate". For instance, a recent policy change will reduce your earned commissions if too many leases expire within that month.
    Also, upper management new hires are bringing everyone from their old companies. They seem to be getting confused on what company they are now working for and they are making up their own policies to benefit themselves.
    Accounting department is completely different from one to the other. If you get an accountant change, beware..everything you have ever done correctly will now be wrong and you will have to learn their way.
    I agree with previous reviews on family members or personal friends being promoted or favored. Again, this seems very immature. It seems as if it is who you know...I have personally been told by a member of upper management not to complain or report a certain employee who is constantly rude and does not fulfill their job requirements because they went to school with so and so and they are good friends and reporting them would put a red flag on me.
    They do show appreciation to the property managers once a year with the annual manager conference, but do not have any appreciation for other staff members on each on site team.

Establish a policy manual, present it to employees and update annually as necessary. Do not make daily and weekly changes and expect everyone to remember everything.
    Try not to change who employees report to so much, it seems like there are so many changes on who gets what report or what email, it is confusing.
    Hire the right person for the job, not your best friend from college or your good friend's children.
    Evaluate employees of all ranks and make the best decisions for the company.

Pretty comparable to other management companies.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great commison and bonus structure: depends on the property.
    - Flexible scheduling.
    - Laid back office enviornment, but still productive.
    - Good benefits.

Cons

- Limited advancement opportunites in some areas.
    - A tad bit of micro-managing, but nothing more than any other company.
    Nothing else negative to speak of, really.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at B.H. Management full-time

Pros

Many training classes and webinars to take

Cons

There is always talk about company standard...However when you have a question...if you ask three property managers you will get three very different answers.

The blind leading the blind, and a machine with no concern toward team work or anything other than the bottom line.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People that I work with that are good, but slowly turning against each other threw fear and lack of communication.

Cons

I can ask 3 different managers and crew one question about how to solve a problem and get 3 different answers. Unable to find the right one I am blamed for incompetence when I pick one that my supervisor didn't know the answer to either. Or, told by a supervisor how to do my job, then when it is proven to be the wrong way I again am accused of incompetence. Many employees I know at mine and surrounding apartments hates the consent fear driven motivation or environment BH Management seems to generate.

Reorganize manuals and web site for easier use to answer questions. Make sure apartments are up to the quality needed to succeed in the market place even if budgets are exceeded. Overloading duties to staff, especially when 2 or more are new without proper supervision.

Great company with a lot of potential!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at B.H. Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and really provides a work/life balance. Family-oriented company.

Cons

Too many family members work within corporate leading to office politics and promotions where promotions are not due.

Reward based on performance, not on who knows who.

I interviewed for a HR position, a few yrs ago (I have a degree in field plus exp)

I have been working at B.H. Management full-time

Pros

updated general office setup and good location minus the parking available (uptown Dallas at time)

Cons

unprofessional staff, unprofessional mgmt, and careless interviewing manners/skills...

Hire qualified people. Looks as if the ppl I spoke with for interviewing were just privileged ppl who were simply hooked up with the job b/c of their privilege factor. The hiring lady who I 1st spoke with had 106.1 radio playing kinda loudly while reading off a printed out interviewquestions.com sheet. So unprofessional/amatuer-ish for a non-entertainment type job.

The group interview was so unorganized and they carelessly asked me questions. Mind you, I traveled 2 hours and had to come up with an excuse for my absence at my job. Total waste of time, it seemed.

Not to mention, no one bothered to look over my resume to find out obvious major facts like I don't live in the DFW area, I have a degree in the field, and no I do not know everything about HR to a "T" but I know a lot of what truly matters and have experience. They did not know how to ask questions, just have a casual conversation for starters. Such an odd rookie style interview - they even told me about their daily employee arguments. Um why? put this in my head so fast.

I had a bigger problem with the older guy owner or whomever, he talked more to his staff than me. Like why even be there then? Then he asked me distant questions like he felt pressed to participate. I just felt like I wasted my time, energy, gas money and everything that day. This is your establishment? Where's the passion, long winded talks about things, he just seemed so indifferent based on my looks I suppose. He was expecting barbie like the wanna-be cliche zzz ones that were in the room.

This place reeked badly that day. It's not a personal attack on anyone, just do better...at least with guests/interviewees.

Professional

I have been working at B.H. Management (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company. Potential to move around and growth.

Cons

Corporate staff is unorganized and major lack of communication. New management is unqualified and unprofessional.

Stop hiring people based on personal reference or as a favor. Conflict of interest to the max.