B.J. Vines

www.betseyjohnson.com

B.J. Vines Reviews

Susan Falk

Memories

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMade life-long friends and memories

ConsMy store closed due to the company's bankruptcy

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you shouldn't have partnered with Steve Madden.......

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The Best Experience Ever!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou were able to be yourself
    Building clientele was the best way to increase your customer service skill plus sales
    so much were to choose from in variety.

ConsRetail stores filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease Betsey, bring back the stores so I can get my life back!!

fantastic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosclosed down to due bankruptcy

Consno longer exists filled chapter 11

Advice to Senior Managementbetter CFO and CEO and executive managment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Betsey was a great company!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsClothes..samples friendly staff fun at,osphere

ConsLittle room to move up...basic pay

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Great environment but not financially rewarding

Store Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people, great product, great discount. It is a very happy place to work and try on pretty clothes all day.

ConsToo many other vendors starting carrying the product and the boutiques were no longer receiving business. No real opportunities to move up beyond a store management position. Not enough pay.

Very difficult to meet goals in a poor economy and "outdoorsy" city

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR

Pros-The coworkers were fun, awesome people for the most part.
    -Fun products to sell.
    -Discount was ok off full price merchandise- was 60% when I left... but it used to be better.
    -The store manager worked hard to get us motivated during dry spells.
    -It was satisfying to help customers find outfits and items they were really excited about or needed for a special event.
    -Enjoyed helping specific clients over a period of time.

Cons-Sometimes felt forced to harass/hound customers too make sales.
    -The company had too many sales, thus customers never wanted to pay full price, which was roughly an average of $350 a dress. They might as well drop prices if constant sales are going on.
    -Occasional cattiness between certain coworkers.
    -Poor benefits.
    -High sales goals that were hard to meet, especially when given "slow days" such as Mondays and Tuesdays.
    -Short hours... often just 4 hour shifts.
    -Low pay and low commission percentage for a general sales associate (2%).
    -Must invest in the clothes often to wear while working, which can be hard if you are not working full time.
    -No clothing stipend for sales associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay sales associates a better wage and a better commission. Or better yet, do away with commission completely to keep cattiness down, and thus do away with the vulture like way associates behave to make sales.

very fun

Stylist (Current Employee) Natick, MA

Prosgreat discount and benefits fun to work there

Consthe pay is decent but could be better

Advice to Senior Managementalways fill out your customer books

Mixed feelings..

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBetsey Johnson is a fun place to work if you like to play dress up and be pretty for a living, offers generous bonuses when sales goals are met. Get to meet great people, be part of the pink family

Consdifficult sales goals during tough times economically, demanding schedule, unfairness, discount keeps getting lowered, cattiness and drama between sales associates, management does nothing to resolve conflicts.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't let corrupt store management fire good employees who have put so much into the company. show some appreciation for those of us who are there every day making the stores run the way they should.

Good for a time but you might outgrow your position.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGood comission, great work environment and amazing discounts (70% on dresses) and as a manager you get 2 dresses per month.

ConsWorst health benefits, very long hours and despite you having two weeks of vacation per year, management will complain when you try to take them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore involvement and less micromanaging from the area manager. Better benefits and a salary would be a great incentive for us to stay.

Work at Betsey Johnson if you like being a doormat.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe only pro I can come up with is the discount. You get 50% off regular priced merchandise. However, the discount is only off the ORIGINAL price - which is about $200-$600 a dress.

Cons1. You are required to wear Betsey Johnson clothing only to work. Unless you've accumulated a collection prior to working there, you're in for a hit in the wallet. (Or you'll be wearing the same thing everyday- which they make you do, if you have nothing else to wear.)

2. As a new employee you will be scheduled to work the slower days (Monday-Wednesday). However, you will be required to make the same sales per hour and total sales as those who have been working there longer and work the good shifts (weekends.)

3. You only get paid an hourly rate of $8/hour plus a 2% commission. For being an "upscale store" they don't pay enough.

4. You are required to read a 300 page book about commission sales, and then write an essay on it before you can hit the sales floor.

5. You are evaluated weekly and written up if you did not make your sales goal.

6. Their turnover is terrible, because during the first 90 days, you are SERIOUSLY on probation. No matter how many extra hours you put in, how many emergency shifts you've covered when needed, how many clients think you're doing a great job; if you're not making the numbers they want you to make, you will be terminated right before you hit your 90 days.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management/District management: Please quit, so that you can be replaced.

Senior management: Drop in your stores and see what is really going on. Train management on positive reinforcement and people skills.

Worked for B.J. Vines? Contribute to the Community!