B-Line Medical

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
3.8

David Ramsay

Smart, cute company that cares about its people

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at B-Line Medical as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very cool, talented people. An open, collaborative environment with good communication and work-life balance. In fact working here did not even feel like work! The dev team is small; everyone's fun and a little geeky. Central location in Dupont Circle made grabbing lunch easy. Snacks also available. Management is dedicated toward the success of the engineers and there are weekly tech talks and performance reviews.

As an intern I was treated like a regular full-time employee, participating in the same meetings, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed my project (worked with another intern and a full-time developer) and felt like I received adequate attention. I was allowed to utilize my own creativity toward problem-solving and did not feel constrained.

Cons

There are currently two offices on the same floor (split between business and engineering), so it's harder to get to know people in the other office. The pay was good for a small/mid-sized company but is less than what you would get at a larger tech company.

Keep up the good work!

Good company with some growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time

Pros

office culture, great people, healthcare technology industry, career development opportunities, flexible scheduling, lots of company and team events, employee perks, usually looks to promote employees before hiring outside, pay is decent

Cons

owners cause problems by getting too involved in things, 2 current managers are really bad, work/life balance could be a little better, too many meetings, not many internal promotion opportunities now despite company growth, healthcare benefits are weak

owners need to be less involved, figure out a way to keep promoting your good people internally so they don't leave, continue weeding out the bad seeds in the company

GREAT PLACE IN THE CITY!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time for more than a year

Pros

A growing company, a diverse group of employees
    Great location in downtown DC
    Amazing culture beneficial to employees

Cons

Owners can be a bit unreasonable

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Above-average working environment, below-average employer

I worked at B-Line Medical full-time

Pros

- "Relaxed" environment (non-traditional work culture)
    - Flex schedule (option to work from home- depending on your department)
    - Culturally diverse
    - Interesting products
    - Hiring/interview process (equal opportunity)

Cons

- Poor compensation (pocket-change "raises", trade off for decent benefits and good team events)
    - Bad management (narrow minded executive leaders, sets unrealistic goals, and unprofessional HR)
    - No career advancement (there is literally no room for growth in the company because they have maxed out building space, products, positions and roles)
    - Talent retention issues (they have lost their top performing employers)
    - Divided departments (egotistical team members and lack of communication)
    - No accountability (yes, issues are addressed, but never resolved)
    - Misleading (empty promises to internal employees and customers)
    - Lacks professionalism (hard to take the job and managers serious, and immature environment- this isn't high school)
    - Lack of training (you will learn a lot because you're left to train yourself, training = watching a video for the first couple months)
    - Conflict of interest bleeds into work environment

- Stop hiding behind your "non-traditional" work culture, you are not Google
    - Replace executive team members
    - Provide better compensation
    - Uphold some ethical standards
    - Respect your peers and their ideas
    - Prevent careless disclosures to employees

Wonderful employer, great work, great opportunities

I have been working at B-Line Medical

Pros

B-Line Medical provides a wonderful small-company environment with many opportunities for personal growth and career advancement. Each team has a great dynamic that works well and provides for an excellent working environment.

The company provides several programs for increasing job related knowledge and skills including regularly scheduled technology discussions, in-depth internal presentations, cross-training amongst various teams, and participation in outside training. Ingenuity is recognized and appreciated and team members are given regular opportunities to show off their work to the rest of their team and to the company.

There are ample opportunities for advancement. Almost half of current employees have received promotions within the past two years and almost all current managers were promoted from within.

Cons

B-Line Medical is a small company with a limited set of strict policies and some required flexibility from employees in relation to job duties. If you like a large company with very strict guidelines and a narrowly focused job description, then this is not a good place for you. If you want to perform average work and hide amongst the crowd, then this is also not a good place for you.

where good people meet bad management and an egotistical leader.

I have been working at B-Line Medical

Pros

Great People. Most of the employees are great, a few great manages. (very few, like 1 or 2)

Cons

Poor Compensation
    Lack of fairness in workplace.
    B-Line Medical has departments with directors/heads and no actual personell.
    The numbers don't quite match up. Company says it never turns a profit but some how I don't buy it.
    It just sucks at times to see some employees receive preferential treatment.
    Operational diaster waiting to happen

show and prove

There really wasn't much direction or training when I joined the team.

I worked at B-Line Medical

Pros

I got to learn some things that weren't defined within the scope of my job.

Cons

When I joined I felt lost. There wasn't much direction or training and they kind of expected me to know what to do. Granted I think this would be ok had I been in the field, but because I was relatively new to the field I expected a bit of some guidance to help me grow. One of the cons of working at a small company is if the company doesn't grow, neither does your career and right now the growth of the company seems stagnant.

Worked for B-Line Medical? Contribute to the Community!