B.R. Guest Restaurants

Updated April 12, 2014
2.7

Stephen P. Hanson
1 Rating

A well-oiled machine that doesn't feel cold

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time

Pros

A culture focused on continuous improvement and fine-tuned service. Excellence and growth are acknowledge. You'd be surprised how much of their training is applicable to other positions outside of the Food and Beverage industry. A fantastic company to learn from, and grow with if that's your trajectory.

Cons

Separating staff into Junior and Senior, including in shift meetings, sets up a high school dynamic amongst the staff.

Combining new and experienced staff not only creates a more harmonious relationship between "the ranks", but has been conclusively proven to aid in the learning process.

Good company but lack of growth in employees

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at B.R. Guest Restaurants as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The environment is casual, they have little perks included like celebrating monthly birthdays, free lunch once a week, and more.

Cons

I think the worst part is that its very hierarchical. As an intern, that is all i am. No room for growth, no challenges. I get addressed as "intern" all the time which makes you feel unimportant and not part of the team. A lot of intern work and they dont try to utilize what you can bring to the company. Oh, also unpaid. I don't mind it being unpaid but I'm not learning and being challenged enough to work 18 hours a week doing admin work.

Utilize the interns you bring in. They have different experiences and could contribute in different ways.

Good if you're New

Former Employee - Maitred  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Maitred in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for BR guest is great if you are new to the industry. They offer amazing training and benefits. The corporate structure runs very efficiently and they look great on a resume

Cons

They work you till you're exhausted. They sometimes make you feel like you are disposable. The hours for management can be a little long. The amount of work you do is more than most restaurants.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never have I seen a group of more miserable people.

Current Employee - Perfer to Not Say - Corporate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Perfer to Not Say - Corporate in New York, NY

I have been working at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great talent hidden in operations. Dining allowance for corp. Paid gym membership. Training program is great.

Cons

Upper managment is stuck on their ways. Everyone is miserable there. Long hours (10-12 hour days not uncommon in corp, 12+ in operations is normal.) Over all it is a huge NEGATIVE environment. Working in corp for two years was the most draining and exhausting experience EVER. HR is not helpful or fair.

Listen to newer staff, they are coming in with a set of new eyes and fresh ideas. Get rid of some members in upper management; they've been there a while but are hindering the growth of the company.

Great training.

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

well organized and solid training

Cons

monitored continuosly, expect cult like devotion. Always one subject that they become fanatical about and then move onto another subject

listen to lower management more

an OK experience

Former Employee - Server  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Pros

structured environment, you WILL learn your products (food)

Cons

the corporate culture dehumanizes the "human aspect" of this people business

refer to the con above- while there are pressures to follow protocol and rules coming down from superiors, it is important to treat employees with respect and be flexible within limits to help them..

Time invested or time wasted

Former Employee - Porter  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Porter in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quality of work is exceptional. If your looking to make a long-term investment in catering and food service then this would be the right company.

Cons

No financial incentives,no health benefits, very physically demanding, financially discouraging, and psychological drudgery. Not to mention how much change and unfair recognition to loyalty, talent, and capability that employees contribute to the company. I witnessed sou chefs and chefs leave or transfer based on unprofessional bias that contributes to low-level employees taking on more responsibility for the same or low pay. Pay raises are made at the discretion of pride and prejudice of supervision and management overlooking performance, instead performance is used as means to incriminate any mistakes made on the job by the employee. All in all depending on your professional goals I would say that the best thing this BR Guest offers workers is a short term cash cow.

Be more supportive in spite of the level of employment and take responsibility for your own mistakes. When your wrong say your wrong to the right people (etc. be more supportive.)

Constantly changing

Former Employee - Host  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Host in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants

Pros

Nice coworkers
    Looks good on a resume
    Good training, it makes it possible to handle any other restaurant you are working in

Cons

Managers constantly get changed
    Have to follow the orders of multiple people
    Hard to get pay raises
    Always a threat of being fired

My time there helped me to learn what I want and what I don't want from the next company I work for.

Great Company.

I worked at B.R. Guest Restaurants

Pros

Hard work rewarded. Excellent training programs.

Cons

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. Very corporate.

B.R. Guest Restaurants Photos

outside of the restaurant on broadway

+ Add Photo

Worked for B.R. Guest Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!