B.R. Guest Reviews

1. server

Former Employee - Operations Manager, Food and Beverage in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager, Food and Beverage in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest

Pros

great staff; benefits, flexibility, training, education

Cons

ultra corporate, sometimes too rigid, too many people on floor sometimes which influences takehome tips

Advice to Management

Lighten up on the rules & regs

2. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at B.R. Guest as an intern

Pros

the intern project really taught a lot, was given free range to experiment and try new things, fun company, going into the different restaurants and seeing the different brands was fun

Cons

Small corporate office, did not get to see how other departments operated, a lot of change was happening with the structure and top people

Advice to Management

add additional things to the intern program, let the interns move throughout the departments and see how each one operates

3. worst placd to make maney

I have been working at B.R. Guest

Pros

good place to have hospitality experience. Always busy with work. if you would like to have a career in hospitality industry, its the perfect company to work for.

Cons

Salary is bad, Management sucks

Advice to Management

stop exploiting employees

5. Staff not a valuable commodity

Current Employee - Operations Manager, Food and Beverage in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Manager, Food and Beverage in New York, NY

I have been working at B.R. Guest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience in big, fast paced and busy New York City restaurants.

Cons

Training is piecemeal and informal - you have to ask the right questions and be assertive, especially if you are right out of college or new to management. Staff, from floor managers to bus boys aren't often valued beyond a schedule slot. I was with the company many years and often saw people terminated without ever being given the chance to turn it around. New managers close exclusively for as much as a year. This often means heading home at 3am or later and the compensation doesn't justify it.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be better structured. There were too many holes. "Thank you" and "good job" needs to be verbalized, not as an end to a weekly email. Goal setting for stepping up to the next level - a clear path to moving up in the company - needs to be laid out. People need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Without it you'll see your valuable staff losing their drive and ultimately burning out.

Disorganized, inflexible, and sad place to work. Save your mental, and physical health.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at B.R. Guest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym membership for being in operations and corp. Raises for brown nosing. Dining allowance. High turnover leaves room for growth. Lots of training in the operations side of the company.

Cons

HR Department is unhelpful, and often sweeps issues under the rug. Consequenses for actions are not consistent, and the company picks and chooses what it wants to do with different employees. Upper managment is not receptive to change. High turnover leaves a lot of gaps open and forces people to overwork. Employee morale is very low in corperate and in operations.

Advice to Management

Invest, nuture and listen to new talent instead of employees who are overpaid and have been there for years. Looking at things from a set of new eyes WILL change your company. Stop treating those who care about the company and want to grow, like trash. Lastly,

Horrible

Former Employee - Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at B.R. Guest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of their ideas are good and their service points are important ones to know and follow. They've done a great job focusing on what can make them stand out and be better than the rest.

Cons

Where do I begin? Just a toxic environment. Way too many people in charge, many of them in useless positions. Its very odd to see a popular restaurant have a high turnover in management. Most of the upper management seemed like they've never even worked in a restaurant. Some in upper management were also extremely awkward when it came to talking to people, not a good personality trait for someone dealing with the public.

The restaurant I worked in had no GM for almost a year, we (the managers) all had to work a lot harder and take on the duties of a GM, to which we got little to no thanks and obviously no more pay. We were told they "just hadn't been able to find the right person for the job" after interviewed many people with years of experience, some over 20 years. Turns out the truth was they hadn't been able to find anyone because they were offering them very low pay and nobody with any experience would take their low offer. A bonus was given to all their restaurants GM's during christmas, since we didn't have a GM (still) but were all doing the job one, we got nothing and were given an explanation of "oh well" We suggested the right thing would be to split that bonus the was in the budget to us since we we had been doing the job of a GM. BR Guest said no. This lead to two managers leaving

They also favor certain restaurants they have above others, I know this because I worked for the one that they felt "Wasn't their true image" meaning high end. We weren't high end but out of their 3 restaurants in the casino, we always had the highest sales and best feedback.

The owner even promised if we were able to break a sales record on an upcoming saturday all management would be rewarded with money. That record was broken two weeks later and the owner never mentioned that reward again. I guess he thought it would be joke if we could break a sales record.

I left there almost a year ago and none of the other managers I worked with are still there, they all left due to low pay and poor treatment. RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Advice to Management

Get your act together and lean that just because you think something is the right way, its not the only way. Focus on the actual guests, that seemed to not be important when I worked for them. They were more focused on making sure we memorized their BR Guest handbook to read one of 30 points each day on conference calls and making sure we CC'D the right people on e-mails.

RSS Feed </> Embed