B-Reel Reviews

4.1
Anders Wahlquist

1. B-Reel is smart at hiring and values its employees

I have been working at B-Reel full-time

Pros

Great environment, cutting edge projects, top-tier people. The company carefully recruits people that are both qualified and fit with the company culture. Everyone generally gets along and socialize outside of work. The company cares about the well-being of its employees and is always looking for innovative ways to offer more perks. The company is extremely generous to the employees and offers great health benefits, competitive salaries, and many additional perks, which is markedly difficult to find in this economy. Also, fika. Google it.

Cons

Long hours. People do not feel they have an avenue for addressing the long working days and tend to burn out/break down. There is definitely an unspoken pressure to put in as may hours as possible. It is difficult to leave when your manager is still working.

Lead by example to change the culture of overworking/burning out.

2. Good people that work all the time

I have been working at B-Reel

Pros

Great work, projects, and people.

Cons

Very little work-life balance. You can be at the office until 1am for an entire week during a launch.

3. Good experience

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very talented and nice people. Fun company culture and flat hierarchy. High reputation and pleasant workplace.

Cons

The workload can be very heavy and stressful. Since the company has been doing well and growing, there are different directions it can go to. It can be exciting but it also comes with unclarity and uncertainty.

5. Great Company - Exciting Work

Former Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Freelancer in New York, NY

I worked at B-Reel as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Get to work on great projects with fun people.

Cons

Sometimes you'll have long hours / days.

Make sure to focus on strong creative directions and positive comments.

6. Good People

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at B-Reel as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Full of creative people who seem really invested in the projects they're working on. The projects I've been on have felt very collaborative and open to ideas from everyone on the team. Its an inspiring, fun environment and definitely one of the best places I've worked at.

Cons

Most of the cons seem related to growing pains. The company has expanded fast and there's a bit of chaos that comes with that (ie space issues and overbooked conference rooms). Also the flip-side to investment in projects is that they do have a way of eating away at personal time in the Life/work balance.

7. The Best Place I ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at B-Reel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

B-reel has a true company culture. It's a collective of some of the most talented designers, animators, producers and developers available in the market.

The work is always pushed to the limits which creates an inspiring and challenging environment for folks that are thirty to do good work.

Cons

Having a work/life balance is challenging when you work in such a passionate place. I cough myself working late hours most of the time which is not the perfect quality life condition.

Some projects felt under staffed which causes overwork to the team. With more people and been more conscious about the "normal capabilities" of each employee the company will continues to rise inspiring and exciting all of us.

Passionate and really collaborative

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having Swedish roots, is probably the reason that B-Reel feels like such a flat organization. There's no "bosses". There are teams and everyone works together to problem solve. The leaders within the organization are incredibly passionate and so spark excitement into the teams. They're excited about the projects coming in the door, so everyone gets excited too. Their the only company who really doesn't care about the project budget. They care about the possibilities for creative and innovation. And the chance to grow the team members capabilities and knowledge base.

Cons

Hard-working to a fault - Its tough to leave the office when Managers are working there later than everyone else. If they're here late, you kinda feel like you have to be too. Office decor/"professionalism" is not a priority but having a nice space to come to work in and show off a bit sometimes would be really nice.

Having a full-time office manager who takes on Team initiatives and events has been a nice start to 2014. More of that please!

9. Fast-times + Full-times.

Current Employee - Executive Producer in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Producer in Venice, CA

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Spending your day-in and day-out in a place that's full of smart, reliable, and inspiring folk, is important. That's why I work at B-Reel. The people are amazing and the work is challenging.

Cons

The environment is extremely fast-paced and the work requests stream in, so you have to be on and be up for making decisions quickly. You can not suffer indecision.

We need a larger office.

10. Learned "how to hate a workplace"

I worked at B-Reel full-time

Pros

- Daily meetings (even though sometime some of the folks not sure whats going on there)
    - Some of the co-workers are really friendly
    - Senior management are worth while to mention.

Cons

- Long hours without any rewards
    - The communication gaps between the supervisor and the juniors.
    - It felt you can never satisfy the manager
    - People who have been working there for long period of time seems to be friendly with each other but the newer employees are stuck at their own
    - I smelled racism
    - Very poor office environment
    - Overall the worse company to work for.

No advice as they already know how to have you work your butt off, and treat you like you are nothing.

11. work with the best people in the industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, LA

I have been working at B-Reel full-time

Pros

Always adapting to industry and technology changes as well as to new team members. Everyone is really passionate about their job, the best bunch of people I ever worked with! Challenging productions that everyone gets excited about.
    Management listens to employees' needs and suggestions.

Cons

Fast paced and everyone gets a lot of responsibility from day one. You need to like it in order to fit in.