B-Reel

Anders Wahlquist

Great Company - Exciting Work

Freelancer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGet to work on great projects with fun people.

ConsSometimes you'll have long hours / days.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to focus on strong creative directions and positive comments.

Passionate and really collaborative

ProsHaving Swedish roots, is probably the reason that B-Reel feels like such a flat organization. There's no "bosses". There are teams and everyone works together to problem solve. The leaders within the organization are incredibly passionate and so spark excitement into the teams. They're excited about the projects coming in the door, so everyone gets excited too. Their the only company who really doesn't care about the project budget. They care about the possibilities for creative and innovation. And the chance to grow the team members capabilities and knowledge base.

ConsHard-working to a fault - Its tough to leave the office when Managers are working there later than everyone else. If they're here late, you kinda feel like you have to be too. Office decor/"professionalism" is not a priority but having a nice space to come to work in and show off a bit sometimes would be really nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a full-time office manager who takes on Team initiatives and events has been a nice start to 2014. More of that please!

Full Time Employee

ProsChallenging and fast paced environment. Flat hierarchy with in company is refreshing and empowering. Smart and nimble people, great working environment, overall company pride. Opportunity is high and changing the rules is welcomed. Overall each employee has the opportunity to make the experience the best it can be.

ConsOverall lacks internal training, company cheerleaders are kept around even if they are not suitable for actual role. Hours can be long and demanding with confusing compensation results.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An exciting time for the company.

New York, NY

ProsGreat people, great work, flat hierarchy and open minded people. B-Reel does fun stuff, and the word "impossible" doesn't exist in there. The Swedish origins along with the fact that the Founders are still in the company create a great culture and a family like feeling.

ConsThe company has grown big, fast. B-Reel is doing a tons of work - which is fantastic, but it's now a matter of answering a few important questions to make sure that everyone's on the same page, before moving on.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few Principles and Policies still needs to be defined to assure that the company keeps growing in line with people, and not away from them.

B-Reel is smart at hiring and values its employees

ProsGreat environment, cutting edge projects, top-tier people. The company carefully recruits people that are both qualified and fit with the company culture. Everyone generally gets along and socialize outside of work. The company cares about the well-being of its employees and is always looking for innovative ways to offer more perks. The company is extremely generous to the employees and offers great health benefits, competitive salaries, and many additional perks, which is markedly difficult to find in this economy. Also, fika. Google it.

ConsLong hours. People do not feel they have an avenue for addressing the long working days and tend to burn out/break down. There is definitely an unspoken pressure to put in as may hours as possible. It is difficult to leave when your manager is still working.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example to change the culture of overworking/burning out.

Good People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFull of creative people who seem really invested in the projects they're working on. The projects I've been on have felt very collaborative and open to ideas from everyone on the team. Its an inspiring, fun environment and definitely one of the best places I've worked at.

ConsMost of the cons seem related to growing pains. The company has expanded fast and there's a bit of chaos that comes with that (ie space issues and overbooked conference rooms). Also the flip-side to investment in projects is that they do have a way of eating away at personal time in the Life/work balance.

The Best Place I ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsB-reel has a true company culture. It's a collective of some of the most talented designers, animators, producers and developers available in the market.

The work is always pushed to the limits which creates an inspiring and challenging environment for folks that are thirty to do good work.

ConsHaving a work/life balance is challenging when you work in such a passionate place. I cough myself working late hours most of the time which is not the perfect quality life condition.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome projects felt under staffed which causes overwork to the team. With more people and been more conscious about the "normal capabilities" of each employee the company will continues to rise inspiring and exciting all of us.

work with the best people in the industry

Venice, LA

ProsAlways adapting to industry and technology changes as well as to new team members. Everyone is really passionate about their job, the best bunch of people I ever worked with! Challenging productions that everyone gets excited about.
    Management listens to employees' needs and suggestions.

ConsFast paced and everyone gets a lot of responsibility from day one. You need to like it in order to fit in.

Fast-times + Full-times.

Executive Producer (Current Employee)
    Venice, CA

ProsSpending your day-in and day-out in a place that's full of smart, reliable, and inspiring folk, is important. That's why I work at B-Reel. The people are amazing and the work is challenging.

ConsThe environment is extremely fast-paced and the work requests stream in, so you have to be on and be up for making decisions quickly. You can not suffer indecision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a larger office.

Up down and around

Motion Designer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe structure of the company is very flat, which allows for creativity to flow throughout the company. It's tiny teams which move quickly that generate a lot of ideas and that pull the company forward.

ConsThe working hours can be daunting. It's New York too, but you'll never register your fully worked hours here, and overwork is not always rewarded. Sometimes there's dead time between projects or things are on hold, and that time can be put to use better to manage those hours or grown the environment to a better place.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjusting the work hours would do a lot. Maybe start earlier in the day, to allow more flexible use of the evenings, I found myself working late quite often, because the rest of the company was still at work.

Worked for B-Reel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at B-Reel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for B-Reel CEO Anders Wahlquist . All 13 reviews posted anonymously by B-Reel employees.