B & H Foto & Electronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sam Goldstein

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company. Room for advancement, friendly atmosphere, strong compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Room for advancement
    - smart work processes
    - friendly non-competitive atmosphere
    - Good pay and reasonable schedule

ConsCulture and work life balance is good at B&H. Perks are not amazing but we are not on Wall Street here. solid pay.

Great mix of co-workers. Like a family. Conservative primarily Hassidic community work there.

Sales Person (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople. A good mix of expertise in their respective fields.
    Salespeople. Expertise is unmatched. They meet well over 100+ people per day, who are also often
    experts. This exchange is usually honest. I have not, for example, ever had a salesman, sell
    me something that I did not need beyond my
    Continuing Education - Product representatives visit often, and give first-views of new products.
    Event Space wonderful resource for learning new technologies and how customers use the products.
    Vacation time. Two long Jewish holidays per year. Get out early for Friday Shabbat. 2 p.m.
    Good work/life balance.

ConsConservative management makes it difficult to push ideas through.
    Not necessarily a con, but be aware that you must also be mindful
    of the predominantly Hassidic culture. Some floors are separated
    male/female.
    Feels too big sometimes. Get lost in the mix.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvolve as quickly as the technology you sell.

They care a lot about customers, not so much about employees

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with. Most o them are extremely knowledgeable and usually friendly.
    Vacations plus days off at the Jewish holidays gives you a bit more time off than other jobs

ConsLong hours, management is really bossy and rude. they are crazy about time and attendance. like 9:02 is late and you can get written up for it. pay is ok. company does not reward for effort. You could be assigned to anywhere in your department if they need you (regardless of what they hired you for).
    Upper management treat employees poorly and most employees I've talked to felt mistreated in one way or another. Company is sometimes unreasonable in what it asks out of its employees and often makes you feel guilty about not taking off.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bigotry at its Finest

Technician (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAccess to tech.. big clients... decent hours.

ConsBigotry..pretty much. I would of liked to stay there for longer but the cultural differences of some of the people who work there are astounding to say the least

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity training.. culture sensitivity. Be open to ideas.

an experience like no other.

Sales Person (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent starting salary for a retail job, Good Benefits and a decent discount.

ConsDifficult employee purchasing program, Over crowded employee area, rude co workers

Collect your paycheck and go home!

Buyers Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGetting paid on time

They won't fire you unless you are an absolute mess.

Consno career guidance or advice

miscommunication in all departments

Hard work is not appreciated and rewarded. The company actually prefers a 9-5 mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees...

Phenomenal company to work for

Online Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany paid Jewish holiday vacations

ConsNo free parking anywhere nearby

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job Heshy

Ever wonder what B&H stands for? My guess, BS & Hassles.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of Jewish Holidays off
    Compensation higher than most similar jobs within the industry
    Decent health/dental benefits

ConsHave you ever wanted a job where you felt like a child? One where you have to let management know of your bathroom breaks and that you're constantly trained that the customers and management is always right and to treat them with respect while your opinions are completely disregarded. How about a position where it's far better to call out sick than to clock in at 9:01 as that makes you a delinquent worthy of disciplinary action? Then I have an opportunity for you! But wait there's more! You'll get the chance to see the glass ceiling up close as the chance of career advancement is near impossible, unless of course you have the right religious affiliation. Do you like the idea of fighting with management to be able to use your vacation days when you want them or to simply buy something in the store on your day off? Those are journeys you won't soon forget. Just take their advice and use the employee purchase website (only available on work computers) and have the purchase shipped to your home. Not home to recieve the package because you're at work? Should have thought of that before making a purchase. With this position you'll also get an abundance of wonderlust along with your fellow employees. Wonder on how long and hard you have to work to gain your freedom by leaving the company. Working on phone sales rather than in the store? Well make sure you don't attach personal items to your cubicle walls or use your personal phone for any purpose between sales calls as they are watching your every move. Don't worry, you'll get all of this even if you're able to get a position elsewhere in the company, no matter where you are you'll get this wonderful sense that you are nothing but your employee number. But don't forget, you're lucky to have a job in this economy so just put a smile on your face (start using substances if that gets you through the week) and bear it as you now get to say you work for the worlds largest and best photography store.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe instead of focusing so intently on any little negative thing about an employee you should be praising the accomplishments and positive feedback (just as much or more than the negatives). You should listen and respect your employees and be willing to nurture their abilities and encourage job growth. Stop micro-managing and learn to run a business that's full of people who are happy to come to work.

Okay company but some great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome people are great, very helpful and friendly. If you or close friends are into photography, company discounts are just heavenly. Flexible hours and managements are very understanding of your personal situations.

ConsPay is not that great. Very culturally different. Really slow environment. You have to clock-in and clock-out daily. Work environment is ugly. Less 1% female workers at the work place.

Great salary & benefits, but very micromanaged environment with limited career growth

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat salary & benefits, cool products, nice people, efficient and focused operation. In short, they take care of their employees. You won't starve here- on the contrary, you will be paid well if you demonstrate value.

ConsManagement tends to micro-manage and limit career growth. People there tend to move horizontally rather than vertically in their careers. Moving between departments offers options to find one's calling, but growing upwards into management can take considerable time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more space to grow and develop

Worked for B & H Foto & Electronics? Contribute to the Community!