B & H Foto & Electronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sam Goldstein

Fantastic

ProsGreat people, great benefits, paid time off for Holidays and vacations

ConsIf you work in the store you can't help but work on Sundays, long hours on your feet

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key in any workplace setting. I feel there can be better communication

Great mix of co-workers. Like a family. Conservative primarily Hassidic community work there.

Sales Person (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople. A good mix of expertise in their respective fields.
    Salespeople. Expertise is unmatched. They meet well over 100+ people per day, who are also often
    experts. This exchange is usually honest. I have not, for example, ever had a salesman, sell
    me something that I did not need beyond my
    Continuing Education - Product representatives visit often, and give first-views of new products.
    Event Space wonderful resource for learning new technologies and how customers use the products.
    Vacation time. Two long Jewish holidays per year. Get out early for Friday Shabbat. 2 p.m.
    Good work/life balance.

ConsConservative management makes it difficult to push ideas through.
    Not necessarily a con, but be aware that you must also be mindful
    of the predominantly Hassidic culture. Some floors are separated
    male/female.
    Feels too big sometimes. Get lost in the mix.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvolve as quickly as the technology you sell.

Excellent company. Room for advancement, friendly atmosphere, strong compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Room for advancement
    - smart work processes
    - friendly non-competitive atmosphere
    - Good pay and reasonable schedule

ConsCulture and work life balance is good at B&H. Perks are not amazing but we are not on Wall Street here. solid pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They care a lot about customers, not so much about employees

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with. Most o them are extremely knowledgeable and usually friendly.
    Vacations plus days off at the Jewish holidays gives you a bit more time off than other jobs

ConsLong hours, management is really bossy and rude. they are crazy about time and attendance. like 9:02 is late and you can get written up for it. pay is ok. company does not reward for effort. You could be assigned to anywhere in your department if they need you (regardless of what they hired you for).
    Upper management treat employees poorly and most employees I've talked to felt mistreated in one way or another. Company is sometimes unreasonable in what it asks out of its employees and often makes you feel guilty about not taking off.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better

Bigotry at its Finest

Technician (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAccess to tech.. big clients... decent hours.

ConsBigotry..pretty much. I would of liked to stay there for longer but the cultural differences of some of the people who work there are astounding to say the least

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity training.. culture sensitivity. Be open to ideas.

an experience like no other.

Sales Person (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent starting salary for a retail job, Good Benefits and a decent discount.

ConsDifficult employee purchasing program, Over crowded employee area, rude co workers

A very "Interesting" Company to Work For

ProsThe company has a nice vacation policy with Jewish Holidays off
    They keep trying to change but very little changes
    They do well so they invest in improving the company and being competitive

ConsThey filter the internet like crazy
    They do not do a good job of developing talent
    They treat everyone the same from the janitor to the best employee in the company
    It is more important for you to come on time then to actually get your job done

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees like individuals instead of box pushers

Great Employer

ProsPressure free sales environment no need to make quotas

ConsI enjoyed it very much

very Interesting place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfessionals, knowledgeable on several products.

ConsPolitically incorrect on so many levels to non-jewish employees. HR needs more qualified staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is important for all staff and addressing their problems.

They might be the leading retailer of imaging products, unfortunately they're not the best employer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon-management staff, for the most part, are relatively friendly and easy to get along with, free candy, pays better than Best Buy would for the same positions

ConsThe management will treat you like a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe if you're not Jewish. 100%. Does not matter if you interact brilliantly with customers, they will turn a blind eye to anything good and go out of their way to criticize you over the most mundane nonsense. Also, while some of the employees are great people, there are quite a few old disgruntled types who really should not be working with the general public and go out of their way to create an uncomfortable working environment. You have been warned. Remember: they might pay better than Best Buy, but if you get fed up, there is practically no other retailer that will match the rate for the type of work. Do you really want to sell your soul for a retail store? I didn’t think so. Also, they will hound you to sign up customers for insurance policies and add-on items, so that one of the higher-ups can collect a little more cash from a personal business relationship with the insurer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in the Old Testament and the Torah, and start living in America. Give equal treatment to your employees and from time to time, try and praise something. When your staff goes out of its way to advise you, LISTEN.

Worked for B & H Foto & Electronics? Contribute to the Community!