B&Q Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
94 reviews filtered by
2.8
Kevin O'Byrne

Pros
  • well paid, 20 % staff discount, bonuses available for management (in 12 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card which has so many regulations your scarred to use it incase of dismissal (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • ignorance and naivety is what gets you up the ladder at B&Q (in 8 reviews)

• No work-life balance even though they add it in the employee handbook for some reason (in 4 reviews)

1. Great starting point for a "REAL JOB"

Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser
    Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser

I worked at B&Q part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's simple to apply, it treats even low level employees with quite a bit of respect. I was able to learn anything i wanted to about the store our systems and sales skills in general, working there for just a few mouth's opened TONS of doors for me to do other things.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, don't let it become who you are. My personal manger was very hands off I felt he wasn't very productive in general and was much more worried about his future then the stores.

2. Love the company

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team hands on and fun

Cons

Losing focus of where we need to be

3. trading manager

I have been working at B&Q full-time

Pros

good salary, good team structure at the level I was everyone helping each other.good conditions to work in. good health and safety.

Cons

Too many people promoted for talking a job rather than doing a job. poor higher management who duck descions. little support at coalface from above. very political. friends and mates given best job roles

Advice to Management

support your junior managers and look at who does what rather than playing polotics. Support do not keep using the big stick.

5. Great place to work

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

everyone is friendly
    If you're a student they are lenient with shifts if you need to study and have finals etc
    Pay is good

Cons

although it is a DIY store most customers don't know how to or want to do it themselves
    Standing all day on checkouts

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees like peasants

6. Great company, great management and staff

Current Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

Great management and leadership, easy itnerview

Cons

Poor salary, long assessment centre

Advice to Management

N/A

7. wonderfull forward going.

Former Employee - Transport Manager in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Transport Manager in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

help each other for best results.

Cons

just get the your work done.

Advice to Management

allways on improving

8. Part-time worker - Enjoyed working for them

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1.5x hourly rate for Sunday work, lots of overtime offered, fun environment to work in, opportunities for training to increase your value to the firm such as timber saw training, forklift licence etc. Good bunch of people to work with too!

Cons

Staffroom wasn't the best compared to other retail firms,

9. No equal opportunities terrible if you have a learning disability no help or extra training they just fire u !!

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Eltham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Eltham, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q part-time (less than a year)

Pros

None did not give me a chance I have asperges

Cons

Not enough training left on your own after 2 weeks in a trade with no training no manager

Advice to Management

Should be given leaflets on asperges and autism so they understand more rather than just firing because you do 1 thing wrong

10. A lot worse places to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

Can have a laugh and not forced to do much

Cons

Uniform, and hard to progress up the ladder

Advice to Management

reward staff with something other than haribo

11. It just KEEPS GETTING WORSE!!!

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at B&Q part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay (but wages now frozen for 3 years and seasonal bonuses unilaterally removed, equivalent to 6% pay cut).
    Good camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Terrible middle and lower management, with totally unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved with minimal staffing levels. Little or no support, faulty equipment, training inadequate in most departments. Discriminatory policy in allocating men to heavy-lifting jobs and women on tills and light duties. Communications very poor and lack of complaint resolution structures in place for high-end purchases.

I have seen the company slide downhill since 2007 with staffing levels slashed yet management seem to think that the day to day operation of the store to their precious standards can be maintained by badly-trained, over-worked, underpaid floor staff. My job now consists of tasking all day to keep the store manager happy leaving virtually no time for customer engagement. It is difficult to take breaks and managers often make no provision for you to take any lunch. Department managers seem unable to sort out rotas, leaving sections of the shop with no staff. Stock control and pricing blunders go by unnoticed whilst store managers nit-pick over supposed health & safety infringements. I've been called to help customers on the opposite end of the shop 15 seconds after being called to cut timber. It's farcical and incredibly frustrating.

Issues have been raised with various store and line managers for at least 6 or 7 years with no genuine attempt at resolution. All tjry care about is making it appear to visiting regional managers or directors that all is well, when most stores are rotten to the core.

We regularly hear the same excuses and claims that they understand the difficulties faced by floor staff: they clearly DO NOT, because we are still being asked to do more job-roles and more work for less pay and with hours that cripple any chance of family life or existence outside of the job. Favourites are rewarded and promoted (the latest farce is to recognise staff for giving out My Customer Experience leaflets despite the fact that the staff members simply refer customers to colleagues who ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING). So those who end up doing the heavy-lifting are put under major pressure by absentee managers with lists of tasks and are generally pulled around the shop like yoyos all day long only to be made to feel totally unappreciated and as though they are not doing their job. Add to this the fact that it is nearly impossible to get off the floor on time at shift end and you have to wonder how this company has the gall to ask why morale is bad.

It isn't bad, it is NON-EXISTENT.

Advice to Management

Stop giving your reliable staff the usual lists and lists of tasks to complete when there are insufficient staffing levels to even serve customers.

B&Q Photos