B&Q

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.9

Kevin O'Byrne

Pros
  • well paid, 20 % staff discount, bonuses available for management (in 12 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card which has so many regulations your scarred to use it incase of dismissal (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • ignorance and naivety is what gets you up the ladder at B&Q (in 8 reviews)

• No work-life balance even though they add it in the employee handbook for some reason (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great starting point for a "REAL JOB"

Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser
    Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser

I worked at B&Q part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's simple to apply, it treats even low level employees with quite a bit of respect. I was able to learn anything i wanted to about the store our systems and sales skills in general, working there for just a few mouth's opened TONS of doors for me to do other things.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, don't let it become who you are. My personal manger was very hands off I felt he wasn't very productive in general and was much more worried about his future then the stores.

A lot worse places to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

Can have a laugh and not forced to do much

Cons

Uniform, and hard to progress up the ladder

reward staff with something other than haribo

Fond memories

Former Employee - CAD Trained Customer Advisor in Braintree, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CAD Trained Customer Advisor in Braintree, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team support, management could not do enough for me

Cons

At times I was doing more than one job role left me feeling like jack of all trades master of none

It just KEEPS GETTING WORSE!!!

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at B&Q part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay (but wages now frozen for 3 years and seasonal bonuses unilaterally removed, equivalent to 6% pay cut).
    Good camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Terrible middle and lower management, with totally unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved with minimal staffing levels. Little or no support, faulty equipment, training inadequate in most departments. Discriminatory policy in allocating men to heavy-lifting jobs and women on tills and light duties. Communications very poor and lack of complaint resolution structures in place for high-end purchases.

I have seen the company slide downhill since 2007 with staffing levels slashed yet management seem to think that the day to day operation of the store to their precious standards can be maintained by badly-trained, over-worked, underpaid floor staff. My job now consists of tasking all day to keep the store manager happy leaving virtually no time for customer engagement. It is difficult to take breaks and managers often make no provision for you to take any lunch. Department managers seem unable to sort out rotas, leaving sections of the shop with no staff. Stock control and pricing blunders go by unnoticed whilst store managers nit-pick over supposed health & safety infringements. I've been called to help customers on the opposite end of the shop 15 seconds after being called to cut timber. It's farcical and incredibly frustrating.

Issues have been raised with various store and line managers for at least 6 or 7 years with no genuine attempt at resolution. All tjry care about is making it appear to visiting regional managers or directors that all is well, when most stores are rotten to the core.

We regularly hear the same excuses and claims that they understand the difficulties faced by floor staff: they clearly DO NOT, because we are still being asked to do more job-roles and more work for less pay and with hours that cripple any chance of family life or existence outside of the job. Favourites are rewarded and promoted (the latest farce is to recognise staff for giving out My Customer Experience leaflets despite the fact that the staff members simply refer customers to colleagues who ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING). So those who end up doing the heavy-lifting are put under major pressure by absentee managers with lists of tasks and are generally pulled around the shop like yoyos all day long only to be made to feel totally unappreciated and as though they are not doing their job. Add to this the fact that it is nearly impossible to get off the floor on time at shift end and you have to wonder how this company has the gall to ask why morale is bad.

It isn't bad, it is NON-EXISTENT.

Stop giving your reliable staff the usual lists and lists of tasks to complete when there are insufficient staffing levels to even serve customers.

You can do it except at B&Q New Malden

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in New Malden, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in New Malden, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Staff Discount
    Get paid on time, Never get Holidays or Overtime paid on time.
    Great staff.

Cons

Senior Management treat everyone like slaves, Zero people skills, There flagship store would be a better place to work without this senior manager, seems that every complaint is brushed off under the table and then within weeks the person has left. Do not understand WHY?.

Speak to the staff on the floor and do something about it.

Supervisor on gardening

Former Employee - Supervisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working environment. The other members of staff and also management were very supportive and we worked well as a team.

Cons

Having to work weekends and late nights but I got used to it in the end. And also the wages could do with be better if you are shop floor staff.

Head Office (SSO): Good experience, but lacking organisation

Former Employee - Data Publishing Manager in Eastleigh, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Data Publishing Manager in Eastleigh, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Meet lots of people at the beginning of exciting careers.
    Friendly relaxed atmosphere.
    Opportunity to get experience that will kick off/enhance career - a good place to move on from.

Cons

Constant changing of roles/department/leadership.
    Some areas are very disorganised.
    Can be hard to progress in areas other than middle management.

Stop the 'Mad Hatter's Tea Party' and get some stability.
    Recognise 'specialists' and pay them more.
    "Can do" - doesn't mean I should do what you tell me no matter how stupid.

Customer Advisor

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Gorebridge, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Gorebridge, Scotland (UK)

I worked at B&Q

Pros

Good skills learnt
    Some very nice colleges
    Generous Pay, especially on the weekends
    Good social life if desired
    Very good staff discount

Cons

Poor management, want treated well
    General feeling of not being welcome by some colleagues
    Terrible training, had no idea what I was doing in certain situations
    Allocated department I didn't want

dont just listen to your favorite staff, be more inclusive. stop thinking about yourselves

You can do it if you really want to

Former Employee - Head Office in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head Office in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at B&Q full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities for those who want it and are prepared to work. Benefits are good with generous discount and bonus incentives based on performance. The culture is professional yet relaxed and driven yet fun

Cons

It's retail so be prepared to work hours when required however compared with other retailers B&Q value home life well. Head Office is in Southampton and so there are limited 'out of store' progression opportunities.

Great company, crap store management.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at B&Q part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

B&Q is a very customer service reliant business. i love serving the customers, but the management don't. B&Q the company is a good company to work for with great moral values and principals. Getting to share my knowledge with the customers is the best part of my day.

Cons

the management teams are very insecure about there abilities, as long as you are willing to keep your head down and never ask questions then you will get along fine. However if you have some understanding and show that you are just as or more capable than them you will find your progression with in the company very difficult. ignorance and naivety is what gets you up the ladder at B&Q.

While you have started a new training initiative for the management and are looking for ways to out source returns procedures, be very aware that the store management teams are more focused on there progression and will do anything to succeed, this will include breaking health and safety law and fraud. your complaints procedures are not upheld by the management structure and all grievances raised within the business are quashed and never completed within company procedures.

B&Q Photos