BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Kevin Taylor

Pros
  • Work life balance is generally okay (in 22 reviews)

• Does interesting work in some areas that is at the leading edge (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of proper direction from senior management (in 19 reviews)

• No respect for work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. Interesting work, bad pay

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quick progression if you are good, and there's lots of interesting work.

Cons

Pay is not great and lots of travel

2. Consultancy

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Interesting client base and fascinating problem domains to work in, fantastic quality of colleagues, salaries above average compared to other consultancies, given how much they expect over and above a normal working week

Cons

Unstructured learning and development, career development and communities of interest not managed at the company level, therefore the quality of your experience depends on the individual commitment of those around you. Company has grown, and continues to grow but hasn't adequately managed to implement processes required for its size.

Advice to Management

Make time to listen to your employees, And when you think you've listened, listen again. and again.

Changing nature of business

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

Excellent technical specialists, genuine world-class knowledge in key technology domains, integrity of staff in comparison to other consultancies, increasingly global in outlook and wider range of opportunities

Cons

Increasing levels of bureaucracy associated with being part of a bigger business, loss of the cohesive Detica culture since the acquisition

Advice to Management

Retain the strengths that were associated with the Detica business - it wasn't perfect but it had very positive staff orientation towards high quality client work and expertise

Aviod/Beaware!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very talented people working within the company.
    They have some good products.
    The quality of the free fruit is very good.

Cons

The name of this company may make you think it's a prestigious place to work, don't be fooled by it and the glossy online marketing along with the fancy London office which they get you to come in for your interview. BAE might itself be a good company with good engineering experience but BAE AI is just a re-branding of Detica, a consultancy company which they bought out. A lot of the good Detica people have long gone.

Beware of the headline salaries advertised along with bonuses, they will often offer you less.
    Bonuses depend on company performance and your individual performance.
    Your review process is based on the connections you make and how much you suck up to the right people, someone can give you a bad review and there is very little you can do about it, your line manager seems to have little say in the process.

There are a lot of internal politics within this company, a lot of ex military personnel that like to think they are the bees knees and have a culture of being obnoxious towards others.

Projects are very poorly planned which has a knock on effect to you as an employee as your expected to work like a dog to suit them. This contradicts the ITIL experience they keep banging on about in the job adverts!!

Work life balance is poor, once you work for them they think they own you and can ask you to do what they like.

If your not happy here they will do little to make things better and a more than happy to see you leave.

Management are poor, if you suck up and get on you can go a long way and that shows in the types of people who manage this place, they don't have the first clue about managing people, teams or even projects.

Training is non existent even though they pay a lot of lip service to it. In fact they don't like spending money on employees development.

Guildford offices are not a very nice place to work.
    London offices are nice but mostly hot desks, if you not in by 08:15 you don't have much chance of getting a desk, management are aware of the issue but have there heads firmly buried in the sand. If you complain you're made to feel like a trouble maker which is effectively then end of your career.

Advice to Management

I'd start worrying if you ever loose any of your contracts.

Good company quickly becoming average

Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible working life
    Not expected to work all hours

Cons

Salaries falling behind
    Poor morale
    Career opportunities stagnating

7. Wide range of opportunities across diverse set of clients and projects

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Kings Worthy, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Kings Worthy, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bright and ambitious workforce, strong government and law enforcement focus

Cons

Increasingly bureaucratic and corporate culture, lack of opportunities for more senior and experienced staff

8. Great internship

Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

Good culture and rapid growth

Cons

Slower pace of work than other firms

Advice to Management

Keep doing good things

Still above average, just about.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities if you're a good cultural fit. If you want to get noticed and climb the corporate ladder it's a relatively easy environment to do it in. Mostly interesting work and pay/rewards are ok if you stick around. Nice working environment and mostly interesting and committed colleagues to work with. Recent management initiatives to improve how we manage and grow our staff are a positive sign.

Cons

Reductions in new starter packages and erosion of benefits have hit our ability to attract top-end recruits. Focus on costs has taken away many of the things that made people stay. High attrition in some areas makes delivery stressful and limits opportunities to do anything but core delivery.

Advice to Management

Letting Marketing (and to a lesser extent HR) become so influential was a damaging mistake. Trust your fee earning staff, not some nonsense-spouting marketing exec that'd never heard of us.

Make your staff feel appreciated again. What happened to the fancy black tie nights, the family days, the 'thank you' bottles of champagne? I used to work long hours because, well, you and me, we cared about each other. Now I go home at 5.30.

10. Both rewarding and challenging

Current Employee - Depl Head in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Depl Head in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

Incredibly interesting market sector; a genuinely exciting space to working in. Work is rewarding and there is lots of scope for helping to shape and develop strategy and direction in my area. People are clever, articulate and very driven as well as passionate about the work they do.

Cons

Could do more to increase brand presence and awareness in the market sector. Would like to see more collaboration generally.

Change is good.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most positive thing about working here, is the people you work with (n.b. I won't mention the KitKats in case the board are reading - it's a sore point with them, but really well received by the worker bees downstairs - so thanks to the board for bringing those back - if you could also return the fizzy drinks, hot chocolate and biscuits too, the web devs and coders will also get back on board!)

Obviously - it's a normal company, you're going to get people that irritate you and ones you really enjoy working with. I have managed to find more than my fair share of sensible-heads that don't take themselves too seriously, are passionate about their work and are smart and talented. The male/female split is also not as bad as I would have expected in this type of company.

The second best thing about working here is the work that we do, again - there are some boring/annoying parts, as with any job and some of the technology we have to use internally is pretty dated, but there finally seems to be some (long overdue) investment in the IT infrastucture and in keeping the (good) people that work here progressing and at least satisfied, if not happy/evangelical about the place.

I have read some of the other comments on here and they seem a bit grumbly. I have no complaints about promotion, remuneration or progression. The help is there if you ask for it. The review process is sensible, as is the scoring. I wasn't promoted when I expected to be one year asked the right questions, listened to feedback and made it happen the following year. I like my job, I like the people I work with and I like the work that we do.

As a side note, there have been some recent key appointments that seem to indicate a change in mindset from legacy 'Detica' - small niche consultancy developing and delivering bespoke products and services, to a more aspirational version of a big player. Recent big wins have demonstrated the same and if played the right way, the future looks pretty positive.

Cons

Not everyone likes/can keep up with change, there are still a few heritage 'Detica' graduates (done good) who have made it close to the top of the tree, that seem to be resisting the inevitable and trying to run the company "like we've always done", which does more harm than good. The phrase "you need to speculate to accumulate" springs to mind here and trying to make sensible business decisions by looking at data in rows of cells on spreadsheets is not the way to do it.
    The culture of the company seems to have got a little bit lost with the rapid growth and recent turn over and there are a lot of people still smarting (and grumbling) from previous mismanagement and mistakes.
    TWO - WAY Communication could be better. Perhaps provide a forum to receive suggestions anonymously rather than the YourSay open forum which people abuse for self promotion and KitKat rants.
    The work/life balance could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Sort of....

By that - I don't mean JUST keep doing the current things that you are doing.... I mean, the improvements that you have been making are positive, but only just scratch the surface.

Invest more in people, not just lots of hiring / shipping people in from Group - make sure you invest in getting the RIGHT people, with the RIGHT approach, into the RIGHT roles.

Be careful which key players you have in your Ops roles. There seem to be a lot of ops people and no one is really sure what they actually do (aside from continuous emailing about timesheets and socials and constant reporting on multiple spreadsheets), I refer to the earlier point about getting the RIGHT people, with the RIGHT approach, into the RIGHT roles....

Improve communication - drop the constant email messaging - no one has time to read them (or space in their inbox). Reduce the pretty (constant) comms going onto the intranet and actual come out of your office and talk to people (not just in Head Office, but Amersham, Gloucester, Leeds, Dublin, Denmark etc)

Be more approachable.

It's obvious that we need more office space. We can all see it, everyone is talking about it. Expand now rather than trying to rush it through on a shoe string in a month's time when people are sitting on top of each other.

It's clear that parking is a challenge in both Gloucester and Guildford, shuttle buses from the local train stations would not only reduce taxi expenses but free up more parking spaces (why aren't we doing this already?)
    p.s. If you really want a more gender diverse office environment, making women (or men... but I haven't seen any) in heels or pregnant women (that have appointments that mean that they will be later than 08.30) park at the top of the hill and walk down in every weather condition is not a good way to do it.

Have a bit more fun and remove the silos. New divisions are great, but they are still divisions, perhaps your Christmas parties should be done by location rather than P&L?

RSS Feed </> Embed