BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great internship

Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

Good culture and rapid growth

Cons

Slower pace of work than other firms

Advice to Management

Keep doing good things

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Detica back in 2009 and have been promoted three times since then. This is a great company to work for and you will get out whatever you put in.

Cons

You can end up spending a fair amount of time working from a client site, which means you're not as connected to HQ as much as you would like to be. This means that you have to take time out to get to know senior management. The work-life balance is good and works really well.

Still above average, just about.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities if you're a good cultural fit. If you want to get noticed and climb the corporate ladder it's a relatively easy environment to do it in. Mostly interesting work and pay/rewards are ok if you stick around. Nice working environment and mostly interesting and committed colleagues to work with. Recent management initiatives to improve how we manage and grow our staff are a positive sign.

Cons

Reductions in new starter packages and erosion of benefits have hit our ability to attract top-end recruits. Focus on costs has taken away many of the things that made people stay. High attrition in some areas makes delivery stressful and limits opportunities to do anything but core delivery.

Advice to Management

Letting Marketing (and to a lesser extent HR) become so influential was a damaging mistake. Trust your fee earning staff, not some nonsense-spouting marketing exec that'd never heard of us.

Make your staff feel appreciated again. What happened to the fancy black tie nights, the family days, the 'thank you' bottles of champagne? I used to work long hours because, well, you and me, we cared about each other. Now I go home at 5.30.

5. Both rewarding and challenging

Current Employee - Depl Head in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Depl Head in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

Incredibly interesting market sector; a genuinely exciting space to working in. Work is rewarding and there is lots of scope for helping to shape and develop strategy and direction in my area. People are clever, articulate and very driven as well as passionate about the work they do.

Cons

Could do more to increase brand presence and awareness in the market sector. Would like to see more collaboration generally.

6. Support and benefits during illness

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has an excellent benefits and health care package which I had to use during my first 6 months. I was instantly covered by the Private Medical Insurence and was given an administrative point of contact at the company, who dealt with all issues, during my 3 month recovery period. The company remained flexible to my needs when I returned to work, I felt valued as an employee.

Cons

As an experianced hire you are expected to hit the ground running and thrown into the deep end. Though staff are willing to help by answering any queries you may have, you have to quickly understand how the company conducts its work with its clients, how the company functions as a whole at a glodbal scale and where you and your role fits into it.

Advice to Management

An oppertunity to shadow a staff member in a similar role for a period of time will allow for a smoother transitional process.

Change is good.

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most positive thing about working here, is the people you work with (n.b. I won't mention the KitKats in case the board are reading - it's a sore point with them, but really well received by the worker bees downstairs - so thanks to the board for bringing those back - if you could also return the fizzy drinks, hot chocolate and biscuits too, the web devs and coders will also get back on board!)

Obviously - it's a normal company, you're going to get people that irritate you and ones you really enjoy working with. I have managed to find more than my fair share of sensible-heads that don't take themselves too seriously, are passionate about their work and are smart and talented. The male/female split is also not as bad as I would have expected in this type of company.

The second best thing about working here is the work that we do, again - there are some boring/annoying parts, as with any job and some of the technology we have to use internally is pretty dated, but there finally seems to be some (long overdue) investment in the IT infrastucture and in keeping the (good) people that work here progressing and at least satisfied, if not happy/evangelical about the place.

I have read some of the other comments on here and they seem a bit grumbly. I have no complaints about promotion, remuneration or progression. The help is there if you ask for it. The review process is sensible, as is the scoring. I wasn't promoted when I expected to be one year asked the right questions, listened to feedback and made it happen the following year. I like my job, I like the people I work with and I like the work that we do.

As a side note, there have been some recent key appointments that seem to indicate a change in mindset from legacy 'Detica' - small niche consultancy developing and delivering bespoke products and services, to a more aspirational version of a big player. Recent big wins have demonstrated the same and if played the right way, the future looks pretty positive.

Cons

Not everyone likes/can keep up with change, there are still a few heritage 'Detica' graduates (done good) who have made it close to the top of the tree, that seem to be resisting the inevitable and trying to run the company "like we've always done", which does more harm than good. The phrase "you need to speculate to accumulate" springs to mind here and trying to make sensible business decisions by looking at data in rows of cells on spreadsheets is not the way to do it.
    The culture of the company seems to have got a little bit lost with the rapid growth and recent turn over and there are a lot of people still smarting (and grumbling) from previous mismanagement and mistakes.
    TWO - WAY Communication could be better. Perhaps provide a forum to receive suggestions anonymously rather than the YourSay open forum which people abuse for self promotion and KitKat rants.
    The work/life balance could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Sort of....

By that - I don't mean JUST keep doing the current things that you are doing.... I mean, the improvements that you have been making are positive, but only just scratch the surface.

Invest more in people, not just lots of hiring / shipping people in from Group - make sure you invest in getting the RIGHT people, with the RIGHT approach, into the RIGHT roles.

Be careful which key players you have in your Ops roles. There seem to be a lot of ops people and no one is really sure what they actually do (aside from continuous emailing about timesheets and socials and constant reporting on multiple spreadsheets), I refer to the earlier point about getting the RIGHT people, with the RIGHT approach, into the RIGHT roles....

Improve communication - drop the constant email messaging - no one has time to read them (or space in their inbox). Reduce the pretty (constant) comms going onto the intranet and actual come out of your office and talk to people (not just in Head Office, but Amersham, Gloucester, Leeds, Dublin, Denmark etc)

Be more approachable.

It's obvious that we need more office space. We can all see it, everyone is talking about it. Expand now rather than trying to rush it through on a shoe string in a month's time when people are sitting on top of each other.

It's clear that parking is a challenge in both Gloucester and Guildford, shuttle buses from the local train stations would not only reduce taxi expenses but free up more parking spaces (why aren't we doing this already?)
    p.s. If you really want a more gender diverse office environment, making women (or men... but I haven't seen any) in heels or pregnant women (that have appointments that mean that they will be later than 08.30) park at the top of the hill and walk down in every weather condition is not a good way to do it.

Have a bit more fun and remove the silos. New divisions are great, but they are still divisions, perhaps your Christmas parties should be done by location rather than P&L?

8. A Great Place to Work

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career Development at Applied Intelligence is excellent. The managers recognise talent and take action to ensure employees develop and improve their skills. I have been offered many training courses to help me work towards my dream role within the business. Throughout the company everyone is welcoming and helpful, even when they have more than enough on their plate.

Cons

No cons so far at Applied Intelligence

Simply awful. Interesting too watch a company falling apart though.

Current Employee - Executive Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Hard to think of many pros. They continue to pay staff I suppose. Some of the work is OK.

Cons

Where to begin. BAE have really messed this once interesting company up. They have removed most of the interesting consultancy work as it doesn't make money, and their strategy is to sell products, and to run government helpdesks. I guess BAE might make some money from this in the short term, but that makes it a boring place to work.

Compensation is low, company culture is toxic, projects are incredibly dull. Attrition is very high, and people are being replaced by an endless stream of inexperienced graduates.

Management are constantly pushing crazy ideas down the chain in order to justify their jobs and keep visible. The company could lose a whole layer of management and nobody would notice.

Stay away if you want to stay sane.

Advice to Management

Just stop all the nonsense. All people want is more money and more interesting work. Can you deliver that? If not, then leave us alone to continue our job searches.

10. Good place to be

Pros

+ Great people, great managment and culture

Cons

processes are cumbersome, technologies not up to date

Pathetic is an understatement

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent work life balance and some good technologies. But quickly becoming outdated in the market. Average pay but depends on how you negotiate

Cons

Poor leadership, ZERO training and ZERO job safety. All the jobs are being outsourced to one of 2 places -- Poland in Europe and Malaysia in Asia. Only the US has been spared and that is because there is a lot of business in the US and the senior leadership there have a lot of say in how things run.

Be very wary of joining the company both in Europe and Asia as you maybe fired at any time just to cut costs. Everything is controlled out of UK and APAC just suffers because the leadership -- a) don't have any clue what's happening on the ground and b) Think that all the trainings and facilities available in UK are the same globally. Poor and pathetic place I've ever worked in

Advice to Management

You are ruining a good company and running it to the ground. Stop losing good employees with your nonsensical decisions

RSS Feed </> Embed