BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

www.baesystems.com
Employer Engaged

A career of opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

+ Opportunity
    + Scope to travel
    + Exposure to a variety of clients

Cons

- Heavy operational structures
    - Unappealing corporate culture

Simplify

Changing for the better

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Pros

The company has undergone a major transition from small to medium sized and is now advancing quickly towards really sizeable. With change comes challenge but I really think that we are making some genuine changes for the better. One thing we can offer is a genuine chance at managing a healthy work/life balance. There is no culture of presenteeism in the office which I find after working for the big 4 a welcome change. With BAE Systems (mother ship) at the helm its just helping us to go from strength to strength both in terms of strengthening our brand but also the opportunities for new markets, clients and individual role opportunitiies. There are things we could do better (which company can honestly say there isn't) but there is no doubt that is it an exciting time to work for this company.

Cons

We need to get better at the L&D we offer but we are looking into that in earnest to make sure we put something really competitive into place.

Put some genuine thought and investment (both time and money) into improving our HR programme so that we can offer a really competitive Employee Value Proposition compared with our competitors. We have made a lot of progress in this space but I think we can do even more.

Bright people, technical work, disrespectful and inconsiderate management and resourcing

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are mostly very bright, young and sociable. The work is interesting for technically minded people.

Cons

Middle management and resourcing have zero respect for the personal lives of the delivery team. They make decisions that affect you without involving you first. They often tell bare-faced lies in order to manipulate you.

Resourcing is haphazard, short sighted and not at all transparent.

Pay and bonus review is not good.

Value you workforce more and be more honest.

aging technologies, low morale, management lack balls to make the changes needed

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

generally very nice people, though too many lifers and too little new blood. interesting work, if you get on the right team. there are career opportunities if you work for them

Cons

old technology, lack of innovation. management lack balls to handle tough situations or get rid of staff under-performing. Promotion often based on length of service rather than performance. No training or encouragement to self-train. Salaries and bonuses generally below standard. Cost-cutting and redundancies have led to overeall air of dejection

If you want to increase profits, and improve morale, recognise who is performing and who is a burden - and handle both better. Need to seriously invest in technology, and people, to get a return on investment and keep up with competitors

Fluffy Clouds and fluffy Communication

Former Contractor - Technical Architect
    Former Contractor - Technical Architect

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with; mostly middle-aged lifers. Flexible and polite and a decent work ethic.

Cons

Mostly middle-aged lifers who'd struggle to get another job. The project office staff outnumbered the entire technical staff; lots of paper pushing and process. All in all a pretty dull experience.

Improve communication amongst the senior management, PMs and technical staff; it all very woolly.

Slowly being squeezed into the mold of a mediocre company by BAE & senior management

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (although these are being/have been eroded), good work life balance if you are in the right area, some great people to work with (although many of these people are fed up and leaving), very interesting clients and work if you can get it.

Cons

Very poor communication between workforce and senior management. Company will force graduates into roles entirely unsuited to their skill set (a chemistry Ph.D. ended up doing manual testing of the "click button A, click button B" variety, for example) and most are too naive to leave. Don't believe the lies, the role of your dreams is not coming, I saw it happen much too often to friends I joined with and people who joined after me.

The company is currently outsourcing a lot of the workforce to Malaysia, which with a seven-hour time difference, language barriers, and lower skill levels required (they seemed to focus on creating the required headcount rather than recruiting experienced professionals when they stood up the delivery centre) so a lot of work for people there now is just managing the constant problems caused by the people the work is being outsourced to. Not very satisfying work.

Just admit to people that you're butchering the company, throwing away most of the interesting work, and shipping the prime cuts offshore and to BAE. Then let people choose who they want to work for without all the FUD.

No direction or communication

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great driven people, fun work atmosphere (if you make it that way) Free reign to take your projects in whichever direction you think is right (be prepared to explain why though).

Opportunities are there if you look hard enough, plenty of variety and a huge range of intelligent people to draw from.

Cons

Very little organisation or direction. Constant investment in hair brained schemes means that the current projects suffer staff shortages, small pay rises and miniscule bonus.

Management will not let go, there is a need to have a meeting about every little decision, project managers will micro manage your life on a post it note.

Be prepared to give at least 2-3 hours extra 3 days a week, the lack of people means you will easily work an extra 65 days a year to make sure you get that promotion (but don't expect a great pay award)

Either pull your current SC-PC managers in closer to make sure they feel you have the confidence in their abilities or put a middle management layer in. Kill the top layer boys club - everyone knows!

Get rid of the new culture of "insert a project manager in here" spending your money on non - technical excel monkeys rather than giving your technical staff the responsibility is killing the business and making people quit.

Good people, good opportunities internally but a severe lack of strategy or leadership

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Historically there have been some high-calibre members of staff, compensation on arrival is competitive and the benefits are typically above average (although these have been reduced in recent years to align with wider industry). If you have the right attitude and aptitude you will be supported to grow your career.

Still has a strong heritage in Government, however there is limited credibility in the commercial space for specific expertise (e.g. Cyber/ESG).

Cons

In recent years there has been a significant reduction in the quality of staff - losing talented individuals to competitors and failing to replace them adequately. When taking on junior resources they are not sufficiently supported to develop their skills, often trying to push them out on to clients as soon as possible with limited specialist knowledge.

Hours are typical for a consultancy which is to be expected, i.e. you do what is required to get the job done. However, the company's internal processes and support functions are not particularly supportive - meaning half of your week is taken up doing generic administrative activities, never mind satisfying demanding client expectations.

Generally people are friendly and there is a good atmosphere, however due to organisational boundaries there have been some issues of late where separate business areas/functions have been competing against each other which created tensions that were not entirely necessary.

Decide what it is you actually want to be and be honest with yourselves and your employees. There is still absolutely no strategy apart from the fact that you desire to make money. Profit is clearly a given, but you need to start qualifying out what you will not do, why you won't do it, and why that doesn't align with your wider goals. Throughout my time in the organisation I struggle to think of any opportunities we decided to 'no bid'.

Reward your staff properly. The company is strong for promoting employees on merit. However, the mantra is you must be performing at the next grade the year before you are promoted to demonstrate your capability. Given that's the case, if you perform highly you really should compensate people accordingly. I am aware of multiple occasions when highly-performing individuals have been promoted (arguably they were at the wrong grade for the last 12 months) and they have received minimal pay rises. This is simply counterintuitive, you need to reward employees for their 12 months of effort with something that will make a difference to their lives day-to-day. By all means, give a reduced pay rise the following year... after all they will have only been performing in grade for 12 months so you wouldn't expect them to be approaching a promotion.

I have had great opportunities. Company is at turning point

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work and intelligent colleagues, chance to make a real difference

Cons

Internal communications need to improve further, particularly around performance reviews and corporate direction

Very bright and enthusiastic people, although business consulting is more of an add on to technology delivery.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great people, a really open culture where everyone is willing to go the extra mile.
    Good work / life balance.
    Some interesting projects and really stimulating work.

Cons

Pay & bonus review is pretty poor.
    Very poor comms from senior management.
    Individuals (especially juniors) are often put on projects that don't tie in with their long term goals.

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Photos