BAE Systems UK
www.baesystems.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

BAE Systems UK Reviews

Updated Mar 6, 2014
BAE Systems UK – Vista – “2065 Thibodo Rd”

BAE Systems UK CEO and Board Member Ian King

Ian King

Pros:
  • "The happiest people I know at BAE mainly want variety and work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good pay and pension, holidays flexible working with some some very motivational staff which I really enjoyed working with"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "They are a large company and sometimes it feels as if you are a number and not a person"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Bullying is accepted in management particularly HR and is a tool that is often used by senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Going down hill

Engineer (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsPeople Friendly, casual dress code (jeans acceptable). Fairly loose atmosphere. Not too much micro management. Good opportunities to learn new skills

Conscompensation lower than industrial average despite H.R. Claims
Cut in benefits, including pension, medical
little or no communication from top management
Little/no value placed on individuals. Everything is about cutting cost to appease investors

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up and most talented people will just leave the company when economy picks up.

BAE all but abandoning Santa Clara Site

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsThere were unique opportunities in the Silicon Valley job market to work on Army and other DOD combat and security systems. The residual leadership team from UDLP was great; however, now being forced out or marginalized.

ConsWith loss of FCS-MGV contract coupled with other Land and Armaments program losses (MATV, FMTV, etc.) the U.S. Combat Systems business is down to legacy support contracts and JLTV to pave its future. With the Defense Reform Act of 2009 and other political shift on the par tof hte government assuming role of platform integrator, the business case for the Santa Clara site is dismal at best. The L&A corporate folks, while they won't "turn the lights out" on Santa Clara certainly aren't going to go out of their way to close Santa Clara as that is part of their business re-alignment plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for technology collaboration to provide better continuity of operations rather than isolate business development to specific sites. Recognize that technology solutions and not platform productions contracts will be your bread and butter. Attempting to deliver on all requested requirements equals bad engineering practice and lost contracts.

A great place to work!

Senior Lead Secure Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsExcellent core business values. The company makes great investments in it employees so that they feel empowered to do better.

ConsBecause the company is very large, communications across the business can be very challenging at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do a great job!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

parlay stable business condition into agressive tech leadership

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Wayne, NJ

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Proshigh integrity - the company goes the distance when it comes to training their emplyees in correct business behavior and fosters proper ethics and morality at all times. The company provides excellent good benefits, including health, dental, vision insurance, ample vacation and holidays (including a week off at yar end), flexible work scheduling and a 9 day work schedule that gives alternate Friday's off! The environment is clean, the cafe services are excellent, convenient and inexpensive and the atmosphere is friendly. The motivated engineer will find occasional exposure to state of the art technical work.

Consmanagement undervalues technical expertise; process/programatics orientation as well as a "play-it-safe" policy (which discourages low disruptive influences, including beneficial disruption of the stagnant base) dominates the ascension chain, which seeks to preserve the status quo rather than ambitiously advance it.

Advice to Senior Managementincorporate into upper management individuals that have proven technical skills and who have demonstrated the abilty to combine those skills with leadership and business (e.g. customer) skills.

Great Place to Start

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Nashua, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsIt's a very casual environment. When I was first hired I would wear khakis and a tie to work every day. Then my manager came over and told me that I didn't have to wear a tie - jeans are fine too. We get paid weekly which is incredible. It's easy to get along with fellow employees. Managers are all great people who you'd like to have a drink with after work.

ConsIt is possible to have 8 different bosses at one time. They keep restructuring the organization to the point where you can work there for 10+ years and not see a promotion or advancement. Also they tend to not pay their contractors right away so we have to deal with them occasionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop restructuring the organization. It's not going to change anything - all it will do is change the name of my department...the work will remain the same.

Stable company with a favorable outlook, at least in the near future.

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsGood pay and benefits. Stable company with a favorable outlook, at least in the near future. Company does not expect salaried employees to work excessive amounts of overtime (good work/life balance). Employees are treated with respect, for the most part. Very charitable company that is a respected member of the local community.

ConsManagement does not communicate well (except superficially) with employees. Good old boy network alive and well. If you are salaried you will, most likely, have to interface with union employees on a regular basis which, at this company, can be extremely frustrating. Training at this company has been poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more hands on approach

Pretty Satisfied

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsStability and pretty good pay, plus interesting work. I think that I work with lots of interesting people who are smart and hard workers. The division that I work in does lots of interesting research projects which are sponsored by DARPA. This is exciting work which keeps me engaged. I like the management. They seem to be actively pushing the envelope when it comes to management. Expectations are clearly communicated and my yearly goals are usually in line with general performance excellence. I like that we hire lots of women ( where lots is a few ... but this is the engineering field).

ConsDon't like current ethics trial. Its an embarassment. We do work a lot of hours from time to time. It would really help if I had a PhD. Sometimes a technical solution is dictated by management for marketing reasons. One problem is that if someone is not performing then its hard to fire them. The corporate parent is really afraid of turnover. They want you to give someone every chance to turn it around before pushing them out. I myself don't really believe in that so I see it as a drawback. Sometimes people are nitwits, but I think you see that in any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Wandering in the cubicle wilderness

Senior Project Manager. (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

I worked at BAE Systems UK

ProsYou could not show up and it wouldn't be noticed...and you could still get paid. Easy to bond with other disillusioned employees. There is some real talent, but not recognized and appreciated. Best to find an "insider" early on who knows the ins and outs.

ConsNo direction. Everyone off doing their own thing. Kepp quiet, stay low and out of the line of fire. Unhappy customers calling ALL THE TIME. No jeans allowed., except "neatly pressed" ones the first Friday of the month. Promised an office, I sat in a dirty cubicle that had been used for storage. No office supplies, I bought my own and co-workers stole them. I left after 90 days, just ahead of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch. Participate. Be part of the solution and not the problem. Why do you think you should be promoted up and not your employees?

New to the company, but so far....

Senior Lead Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsThey give you the ability to move around within the company. They post internal jobs for their employees, and if at some point you want to move up the ladder, it's easier to do so without having to leave your company.

ConsThey are in the middle of a corporate wide IT restructure, and as such their departments are in a mess right now. Also, they give out bogus titles to their employee's. Instead of going with industry standards, they let job titles come to them in a dream. Most people don't care about this sort of thing, but it could be something that hurts your resume at some other point in time.

On another note, if you don't like to travel, stay away from this company, because being in the IT department, EIT, or BAE-IT, you will be on travel. I don't mind it, as I get to see places I've never seen or thought I would get to see.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop handing out three-four word titles that make no sense, and as always listen to your engineers. When you are an engineer, and your title gets changed to "administrator" it's degrading.

BAE Systems is not the friendly place it once was.

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee)
Wayne, NJ

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

ProsThe work is state of the art technology with a diversified product line. Employees are friendly toward each other and for the most part are willing to help others. After the first year employees get two weeks vacation as well as a week off between Christmas and New Years.

ConsToo much overtime without compensation. Management typically underquotes work by taking risky approaches to solutions. It is the employee who assumes the risk when the job becomes over budget and behind schedule by being forced to work substantial uncompensated overtime. In the past, an employee could take time off for past uncompensated overtime. Under the current organization this is no longer possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuote new work realistically and stop forcing employees to work uncompensated overtime to make up for poor assumptions. Quit the semi-annual reorganizations your making us look stupid.

Worked for BAE Systems UK? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BAE Systems UK reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BAE Systems UK CEO Ian King. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by BAE Systems UK employees.