BAE Systems UK Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. I enjoyed working at BAE.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Good place to work and continue learning. They do an excellent job in promoting further education.

Cons

Long time to make changes.

Advice to Management

Quicker adoption to newer technologies.

Good place to work for a good work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Managers are very nice. Good place to work for a good work-life balance

Cons

No chances of moving up or getting raises or bonus. Too many upper management politics.

Advice to Management

Need to train the Management on everything.

3. BAE all but abandoning Santa Clara Site

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There were unique opportunities in the Silicon Valley job market to work on Army and other DOD combat and security systems. The residual leadership team from UDLP was great; however, now being forced out or marginalized.

Cons

With loss of FCS-MGV contract coupled with other Land and Armaments program losses (MATV, FMTV, etc.) the U.S. Combat Systems business is down to legacy support contracts and JLTV to pave its future. With the Defense Reform Act of 2009 and other political shift on the par tof hte government assuming role of platform integrator, the business case for the Santa Clara site is dismal at best. The L&A corporate folks, while they won't "turn the lights out" on Santa Clara certainly aren't going to go out of their way to close Santa Clara as that is part of their business re-alignment plan.

Advice to Management

Look for technology collaboration to provide better continuity of operations rather than isolate business development to specific sites. Recognize that technology solutions and not platform productions contracts will be your bread and butter. Attempting to deliver on all requested requirements equals bad engineering practice and lost contracts.

5. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Lead Secure Systems Analyst in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Secure Systems Analyst in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Excellent core business values. The company makes great investments in it employees so that they feel empowered to do better.

Cons

Because the company is very large, communications across the business can be very challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to do a great job!

6. Great Place to Start

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Nashua, NH

Pros

It's a very casual environment. When I was first hired I would wear khakis and a tie to work every day. Then my manager came over and told me that I didn't have to wear a tie - jeans are fine too. We get paid weekly which is incredible. It's easy to get along with fellow employees. Managers are all great people who you'd like to have a drink with after work.

Cons

It is possible to have 8 different bosses at one time. They keep restructuring the organization to the point where you can work there for 10+ years and not see a promotion or advancement. Also they tend to not pay their contractors right away so we have to deal with them occasionally.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring the organization. It's not going to change anything - all it will do is change the name of my department...the work will remain the same.

7. parlay stable business condition into agressive tech leadership

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Wayne, NJ

Pros

high integrity - the company goes the distance when it comes to training their emplyees in correct business behavior and fosters proper ethics and morality at all times. The company provides excellent good benefits, including health, dental, vision insurance, ample vacation and holidays (including a week off at yar end), flexible work scheduling and a 9 day work schedule that gives alternate Friday's off! The environment is clean, the cafe services are excellent, convenient and inexpensive and the atmosphere is friendly. The motivated engineer will find occasional exposure to state of the art technical work.

Cons

management undervalues technical expertise; process/programatics orientation as well as a "play-it-safe" policy (which discourages low disruptive influences, including beneficial disruption of the stagnant base) dominates the ascension chain, which seeks to preserve the status quo rather than ambitiously advance it.

Advice to Management

incorporate into upper management individuals that have proven technical skills and who have demonstrated the abilty to combine those skills with leadership and business (e.g. customer) skills.

8. Stable company with a favorable outlook, at least in the near future.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Stable company with a favorable outlook, at least in the near future. Company does not expect salaried employees to work excessive amounts of overtime (good work/life balance). Employees are treated with respect, for the most part. Very charitable company that is a respected member of the local community.

Cons

Management does not communicate well (except superficially) with employees. Good old boy network alive and well. If you are salaried you will, most likely, have to interface with union employees on a regular basis which, at this company, can be extremely frustrating. Training at this company has been poor.

Advice to Management

Take a more hands on approach

Wandering in the cubicle wilderness

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager. in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager. in Herndon, VA

Pros

You could not show up and it wouldn't be noticed...and you could still get paid. Easy to bond with other disillusioned employees. There is some real talent, but not recognized and appreciated. Best to find an "insider" early on who knows the ins and outs.

Cons

No direction. Everyone off doing their own thing. Kepp quiet, stay low and out of the line of fire. Unhappy customers calling ALL THE TIME. No jeans allowed., except "neatly pressed" ones the first Friday of the month. Promised an office, I sat in a dirty cubicle that had been used for storage. No office supplies, I bought my own and co-workers stole them. I left after 90 days, just ahead of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Get in touch. Participate. Be part of the solution and not the problem. Why do you think you should be promoted up and not your employees?

10. Pretty Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Stability and pretty good pay, plus interesting work. I think that I work with lots of interesting people who are smart and hard workers. The division that I work in does lots of interesting research projects which are sponsored by DARPA. This is exciting work which keeps me engaged. I like the management. They seem to be actively pushing the envelope when it comes to management. Expectations are clearly communicated and my yearly goals are usually in line with general performance excellence. I like that we hire lots of women ( where lots is a few ... but this is the engineering field).

Cons

Don't like current ethics trial. Its an embarassment. We do work a lot of hours from time to time. It would really help if I had a PhD. Sometimes a technical solution is dictated by management for marketing reasons. One problem is that if someone is not performing then its hard to fire them. The corporate parent is really afraid of turnover. They want you to give someone every chance to turn it around before pushing them out. I myself don't really believe in that so I see it as a drawback. Sometimes people are nitwits, but I think you see that in any job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

11. New to the company, but so far....

Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

They give you the ability to move around within the company. They post internal jobs for their employees, and if at some point you want to move up the ladder, it's easier to do so without having to leave your company.

Cons

They are in the middle of a corporate wide IT restructure, and as such their departments are in a mess right now. Also, they give out bogus titles to their employee's. Instead of going with industry standards, they let job titles come to them in a dream. Most people don't care about this sort of thing, but it could be something that hurts your resume at some other point in time. On another note, if you don't like to travel, stay away from this company, because being in the IT department, EIT, or BAE-IT, you will be on travel. I don't mind it, as I get to see places I've never seen or thought I would get to see.

Advice to Management

Stop handing out three-four word titles that make no sense, and as always listen to your engineers. When you are an engineer, and your title gets changed to "administrator" it's degrading.

RSS Feed </> Embed