BAE Systems UK

Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

BAE Systems UK CEO and Board Member Ian King
Ian King

Pros
  • The happiest people I know at BAE mainly want variety and work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of interesting work available if you are on the right project (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They are a large company and sometimes it feels as if you are a number and not a person (in 6 reviews)

• Very political at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

BAE SYSTEMS - A fair place to work

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

BAE is fair and pays a competative salary and moving jobs within the company is easy and reasonable

Cons

I think intelligence analyst working with other companies might get paid better

to be more involved at the customer location

BAE Systems is not the friendly place it once was.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

The work is state of the art technology with a diversified product line. Employees are friendly toward each other and for the most part are willing to help others. After the first year employees get two weeks vacation as well as a week off between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

Too much overtime without compensation. Management typically underquotes work by taking risky approaches to solutions. It is the employee who assumes the risk when the job becomes over budget and behind schedule by being forced to work substantial uncompensated overtime. In the past, an employee could take time off for past uncompensated overtime. Under the current organization this is no longer possible.

Quote new work realistically and stop forcing employees to work uncompensated overtime to make up for poor assumptions. Quit the semi-annual reorganizations your making us look stupid.

Just another contractor. Do your job, collect your pay and look for a new job when the contract runs out.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Good pay and secure job, while you are on a contract.

Cons

When my contract is up I wont have a job

Build loyalty by growing your workforce, promoting your workforce. Keep your people beyond the contract.

Can't describe it.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer III in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer III in Washington, DC

I worked at BAE Systems UK

Pros

BAE is a pretty big company and though my position was boring and probably had little promotion potential, I doubt the entire company is that way. I enjoyed the trips to Cape Canaveral, but that was about it.

Cons

My job in particular was boring, had little to do with my career, or any future job, and thus the "skills" I learned while working there were pretty useless.

I can't remember all the senior manager's names, but their big mistake was announcing a RIF, and not being specific about who it would effect. I got on the phone with some connections and was out of there pronto even though it turns out no engineers would be laid off. Oh well, better they waste their money training a new employee than I waste my time in the unemployment line.

Great company if you don't like doing much meaningful work

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX

I worked at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Laid back environment, Knowledgeable employees, Lots of time off

Cons

Projects always behind schedule and over-budget, Management doesn't seem to know what they're doing half the time. There is a huge age gap between employees. Most engineers are over 40 and out of shape. Because they've been doing their job so long they aren't open to new and fresh ideas of some newer employees.

Try and have better project for entry-level people to work on. Encourage more openness to ideas, because if you keep running your business this way you will be obsolete within 10 years.

Consider opportunities with BAE Systems at company primary locations

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Aurora, CO

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Most site support a 9/80 work schedule for various reasons, but this is good for the work/life balance. Again most sites, consolidate planned paid holidays to support a payed break between Christmas and New Years. Compenstation has been pretty good for me through the years. BAE System has a large enough presence in the US for relocations if you desire, and has a larger number of people in other parts of the world, for those that want to move.

Cons

Not good a supporting employees that are stationed at smaller facilities or at customer locations.

Need to work on better partnership between program and functional leaders. In may cases, the functional leaders are over scheduled with program activities to have time to perform the functional duties. This is especially true for employees at customer sites. I recently moved to a customer site assignment, and an on my 4th functional manager in 6 months, and can't even get an answer to an e-mail from the current manager in most cases.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Johnson City, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Johnson City, NY

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Good company for advancement, plenty of work to go around. The pay is very good for the cost of living in the Binghamton Area. There is never a dull moment here in JC. We are doing exciting work within commercial avionics and military avionics as well. However, many people see BAE as a stepping stone before moving on to bigger and better things.

Cons

Overtime and not getting paid for it. Depending on where you live, the area can be a little shady, especially when Binghamton University is in session.

We really need to modernize our test equipment.

It pays to negotiate hard.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Decent benefits, telecommuting opportunities exist.

Cons

Seems we're always having budget problems, so training and development are the first things to get cut. Raises and promotions are handled in a mysterious, mystical fashion; no apparent rhyme or reason; guidelines differ depending on who you talk to. All employees (based on your department) are not treated equal. Senior management is very Command & Control oriented.

Cutting cost by slashing budget is much less effective in the long term than you think. Eliminating waste within our company (waiting, defects, etc.) is the better way to go. And yes, there is waste in everything we do.

Typical boring defense job

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

We work on a 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off)
    You can live by the beach and not have a terrible commute.
    some pretty smart engineers.
    a decent number of young, social engineers

Cons

boring projects. Unless you really LOVE working on an image library, your pretty much can't find a job that doesn't involve this in some way. Most management is ridiculously incompetent, including senior level. IRAD's are fairly well run however. It is very easy to get pigeon-holed and there is little room for advancement. Pretty much every software engineer that works here, hates their job, and employee morale is pretty low.

listen to your Engineers.

Good company to work for... but it depends on the location

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Irving, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

BAE Systems is the premier global defence and aerospace company delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, information technology solutions and customer support services.
    BAE Systems is the 3rd largest global defence company and the 6th largest US defense company. With 97,500 employees worldwide, BAE Systems' sales exceeded £15.7 billion (US$ $31.4 billion) in 2007.
    BAE Systems is committed to encouraging its people to realize their potential as valued members of the company.

Cons

Senior leadership does not flow down information to the people performing the work. New employees are not fairly compensated.

Learn about the benefits of working as a team.

BAE Systems UK Photos