BAE Systems UK

www.baesystems.com

BAE Systems UK Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
BAE Systems UK – Vista – “2065 Thibodo Rd”

BAE Systems UK – Vista – “2065 Thibodo Rd”

BAE Systems UK CEO and Board Member Ian King

Ian King

Pros
  • The happiest people I know at BAE mainly want variety and work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Lots of interesting work available if you are on the right project (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They are a large company and sometimes it feels as if you are a number and not a person (in 6 reviews)

• Very political at senior management level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career job.

Operations Graduate (Current Employee) Barrow in Furness, England (UK)

ProsDecent salary for graduate scheme, plenty of extra stuff to get involved in. So much flexibility in terms of where to have placements and how long to have them. Good opportunities for career progression. Good group of friends established. Flexible working hours, half-day Fridays.

ConsTown location isn't ideal. Work isn't always challenging. Some things promised/implied that seem to have fallen through. Sometimes it seems like having a degree hasn't helped much.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage graduates to get involved on shop floor with tradespeople. Make it clear to graduates that they will have advantages to having degrees. Don't just favour tradesmen.

BAE Systems invest heavily into early careers!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Barrow in Furness, England (UK)

ProsFantastic opportunities to experience cutting edge engineering locally and corporately. Innovative environment with focus on development on early careers.

ConsHas an aged workforce which can make it difficult for young people to be recognised. Although the work is satisfactory, salary is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more trust in graduates to deliver ; give more responsibility and autonomy.

Challenging work with huge scope for working on different projects - if you are lucky

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to work on some of the UKs most complex programmes
    Salary is competitive for sector
    Lots of interesting work available if you are on the right project
    Good work life balance and company focus is shifting more to flexible working patterns for both 'white' and 'blue' collar staff
    You get to work with experts in their field
    Very good job security on most projects

ConsA lot of bureaucracy
    Very political at senior management level
    Small offices spread across country makes it difficult to move around
    Silo based working - difficult to work outside your own team
    Very behind in terms of using up to date software and systems
    Very risk averse and almost never willing to commit company money (ie no progress if not customer funded)
    People tend to stay on projects for decades meaning there are very few job openings
    Strong union presence makes it difficult to have any say on your own pay and performance

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on effective programme delivery, not internal politics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

typical large corporate but good training and opportunities

Project Manager (Current Employee)

Prosvaried and interesting work, easy to move around the company, good opportunities to travel, good pension, share schemes, employee discounts, work/life balance (though it does depend where you work and how senior you are)

Consusual bureaucracy and politics that you get with a large corporate, not a meritocracy, difficult to get noticed and progress unless you are lucky or have a great boss (few and far between), performance and development reviews not taken seriously in many parts of the company, poor performance is not managed properly

Advice to Senior Managementsort out politics and poor management behaviour, address poor performance of staff/managers, ensure consistent application of PDRs, focus on retaining talent and not just attracting it

Navigating dificult waters

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsBritish engineering powerhouse
    Successfully operates internationally
    Good remuneration package including benefits
    Strong and capable leadership in many areas
    Largely empowered workforce
    Stong value set that most would subscribe to
    Focus on business ethics to be commended

ConsToo many people coasting
    Work-life balance is an issue for many staff
    Process heavy
    Future business strategy unclear
    Has lost its people focus
    Quite political with many hidden agendas across the business
    Opportunities for advancement reducing
    Not the best reputation for quality or customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values
    Stop achieving growth through cost cutting
    Treat your employees as you expect to be treated yourself

Suited to work/life/family balance with interesting project opportunities

Lead Systems Engineer (Exec) (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsNotes about the part of the company I work for only.

Great and varied work. As an engineer you can plan a career that involves always doing something new - fascinating and hi-tech areas. The happiest people I know at BAE mainly want variety and work life balance. If your interest is in a varied career BAE is a great place to be.

Great work life balance. In times of personal crisis the company is there for you and very understanding.

Tends to be mature and well planned leading to relatively low stress (but this can be frustrating for those that want a real challenge).

ConsCan be clunky and bureaucratic. Bureaucracy not always linked to efficient or effective process. Which can be frustrating

Company so large that pockets of bad practice (or people not being given above opportunities) is allowed to continue for too long.

Fortunes tied to getting on a big programme - if you are a career climber. Affected by long term defence cycles.

Leans towards groupthink. Difficult to sell good or needed ideas that don't meet organisations deeply set paradigms.

Upwards management - meaning your job is to satisfy your boss and so on, not the other way around - this isn't really a con necessarily, but some people don't like it, especially if they are on the bottom rung.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on implementing genuine environment scanning cycle and proactive movement towards the company we need to be to survive.

BAE Systems - Graduate Scheme

Project Lead (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Great training and support during the Grad scheme

Cons- Once Graduate scheme is over, they seem to forget all the training.

Advice to Senior Management- Better transition from Grad scheme to Permi role.

Mostly positive, but need to do more for graduates.

Research Scientist (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsOffers a good mix of applied research and engineering. Many opportunities for progression, whether in project management or in a technical role. Good mix of people to work with.

ConsSalary was not the greatest, and training / induction for new graduates was not provided when I joined (although this was beginning to be rectified by the time I left).

Opportunities to work on next generation technologies

Research Associate (Former Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsIf you want to work on interesting R&D for the kinds of projects BAE do, then it's a great place to work.

If you need help with anything HR or Health and Safety related, you can talk to the right people and get help (in my case I got help to alleviate RSI pain).

Good work is usually rewarded with award nominations, promotions, salary rises etc..

There is a flexitime scheme for non-senior staff, and all employees have access to company shares.

ConsVery corporate structure. This is probably to be expected from such a large firm.
    At the time there were no perks, and very basic facilities. I worked as a programmer and had to use a single small computer screen (17"). I would hope this has changed by now.

Overall good employer

ProsGood pay and not bad benefits

ConsJust a number to higher management

Worked for BAE Systems UK? Contribute to the Community!