BAE Systems USA

BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro

Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 41 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years (in 35 reviews)

• no middle management, upper management out of touch, short-sighted policies (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work

Multiple (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDecent room for growth for management track employees.

ConsNone really, there was a long term erosion of benefits, but they still are better than the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Make sure to defend benefits and nurture the worker bees.

Great place to work, fast paced

Prosgreat enviroment, great benifits, great pay

Consnone, hired right out of the military

System Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Mojave, CA

ProsSupporting and Modification from Boeing 747-8 to new prototype Aircraft

ConsGreat Environment and supportive people

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive

MAJCOM Circuit Manager (Former Employee) Scott AFB, IL

ProsTeamwork, being able to build positive working relations across the entire Pacific Command from Alaska to the Indian Ocean.

ConsThe lack of real direction & the willingness of some employees to do as little as possible & not taking responsibility for their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to be more involved with how to meet customers goes.

enjoyed my time him, would still be there if I didn't get laid off

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswages, OT if you wanted,not mandatory

Conslay offs had to depend on military contracts for your work

Good experience with company overall, but mid to sr level leadership needs improvement in planning

Analyst (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsStacked mid-level leadership. Strong bid/win percentage. Above average in mid-level leadership capability. Talented in business development and extended footprint.

ConsOverly dependent on market conditions, especially defense spending. Not enough risk management incorporated into margins. When defense spending is bullish, BAE cuts margins too thin for growth. LIkewise, during bearish defense spending, BAE has to make drastic cuts that cause an unnecessary lag long after market conditions stopped hurting. Government spending isn't as reliable as it once was, and capital budgeting for these times is crucial.

Advice to Senior ManagementGovernment spending isn't as reliable as it once was, and capital budgeting for these times is crucial. You are strong enough to let other mid-sized companies go after projects you know you could win. Most of them won't be able to sustain the times of austerity. But your margins will be solid.

I liked working at BAE Systems

Senior Technical Trainer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsIt was a nice place to work. You had freedom to bring ideas to the table and implement them. They would give you a goal, and you had to complete it based on your experience. Don't lie on your resume, it will hurt you there.

ConsThey switched management around too much.

Great local managers and supervisors. Can't say enough good about those I worked for directly.

Applications Developer (Former Employee)

ProsVery good benefits, good work environment, great people in the local office. Compensation was above average, several of the bonuses were very nice and there's company company stock awarded each year. There's plenty of holiday parties and other events during the year for employees to rub elbows with each other, even though there were more than three projects in the same bulding.

ConsMinimal promotions, technical training, personal growth. Lack of corporate management agreeing with local management on agreements made with employees. Corporate management terminating programs, bonuses, and other benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't continue the one size fits all mentality, it's just not going to work well in the long run for your people. Give the project managers more control over bonuses and program managers control over promotions. Think how much better the employees will do with someone coming to see them, see what they are doing, and know them by name, rather tha being just another number and something to profit from.

Well established company with many opportunities

Risk Management (Former Employee)

ProsCompany values are well established and projected out to the whole company. Supervisors had worked their way up from our position, so they understood all of the dynamics inherent in the job. Work was rewarding and interesting.

ConsSome aspects of this being a huge company were negative, with bureaucratic procedures and training requirements that were irrelevant to the job, which had to be done on our own time, merely to "check the box".

BAE

TA Lead (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsVery diverse environment and challenging work.

ConsCurrent processes are not clear, and seem to change quite regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear rules of engagement will be welcomed by our staff

Worked for BAE Systems USA? Contribute to the Community!