BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.4

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 43 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years (in 36 reviews)

• For remote sites, recognition by senior management can also be a challenge (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall fantastic company

Current Employee - Senior Contracts Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Contracts Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company had a great mission and plenty of employee resources

Cons

Reorganizations created a lot of ambiguity in business strategy and created large divides between senior leadership and support

Be concise and direct about implementing decisions to avoid confusion .

Is was good just didn't like the layoffs

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

There's a good range of people an there's alot to learn on a daily basis and pick up new trades

Cons

When it's hot it's hot when it's cold it's cold

Keep track of what the employee know to promote them

Good company to work for wish my contract would not have been cut.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got hired just before they re-worked the benefits package so I got decent amount of PTO for being a new employee. The pay was very fair considering they took over the contract I was working on from another company and we were expecting huge salary cuts, that did not happen. When the contract was cut they offered way more assistance then my previous company that I was with for over 15yrs.

Cons

The contract was located in TX and the leadership is in D.C. communication was lacking.

Experience of a Lifetime

Former Employee - Senior Lead Technical Support Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Lead Technical Support Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience working with management and surrounding project teams. Very accommodating with time off, lots of training, great and knowledgeable technicians to work with. Strengthened my technical and PM skills.

Cons

Getting some of the teams to work with one another and on the same page. Being laid off was devastating.

Great Place To Grow

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time

Pros

BAE encourages personal growth allowing you to try new things in your daily job so that you can grow and shift your career as you wish. This is a wonderful opportunity.

Cons

BAE is a large company so it is hard sometimes to get recognized by management. You need to excel and stand out since the management has such large teams to watch over.

Tons to learn, Boring to work

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BAE is a leader in defense electronics. Being such, there is a ton of opportunity to work on cutting edge systems with budgets that can seem endless sometimes. This opens doors to cutting edge work you'd rarely get to do else where.
    The company works hard to have access between all levels of employees and management. Walking into the vice presidents office to voice a concern, while ballzy, would not be punished or even frowned upon.
    Work life balance is very important and taking time off when needed is often encouraged unless you're running from your responsibilities
    Lots of opportunity for personal development

Cons

Boring environment
    Being government funded work, you have to work with government style bureaucracy to get anything done. Which can be incredibly frustrating.
    Mechanically, there isn't a lot of exciting projects.
    Slow growth model

Give more incentives for hard work/bonuses
    Generate more exciting atmosphere

The Operations Leadership Development Program was awesome!

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OLDP was a great way to transition from college to the workplace, immediately have 50 friends of the same age and given responsibilities and exposure that some 10+ year employees didn't get. Work-life balance was great. You sometimes worked a little later but only on weekends if you did on your own accord, it was a ghost-town out of work hours. Great people, would definitely recommend!

Cons

Only reason why I left was to see another industry.

Keep up the great development programs!

Defense with Start-up Environment and Talents

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talent recognition and the ability of executive management on cracking the code in growth opportunities (translation: jobs and lots of engineering collaborations). First of all, I have been with the defense industry for over 15 years with two other defense companies (Lockheed and Raytheon) prior to joining the BAE Systems, Inc team. The environment at this BAE Systems facility (Fort Worth, TX) is like a start-up, to me that is a plus. Let me be clear, however, that the grass isn't always greener (see my cons).

Cons

BAE Systems did away the pension system a long time ago. To be honest, this is the trend given that other defense giant such as Lockheed's CEO Marilyn Hewson announced back in 2013 that they are doing the same for all existing pension folks. Lack of opportunities for telecommute (nature of the job).

Keep it up.

Large Company

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Competitive Salary at entry level, great tuition reimbursement program, great training on every new job, ability to rotate to different positions to gain greater experience.

Cons

Large company - easy to feel disconnected from others who work here

Great mission -- Constant Change

Former Employee - Vice President, Communications
    Former Employee - Vice President, Communications

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BAE Systems because of the focus on the warfighter, opportunities to advance and continue professional growth and its commitment to diversity of thought.

Cons

I worked for the company for eight years and we had four CEOs during that time. Change is expected but change at that level is unhealthy for an organization. It creates anxiety, angst and becomes difficult to retain talent.

Find your course and keep to it.